Consequences of Major Non-Conformances during a Registration Audit

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
What are the consequences of receiving major non-conformances during a registration or surveillance audit?
Usually a special assessment perhaps with a limited scope depending upon the Major areas, within 90 days of the audit, to assess your corrective action and its implementation AT YOUR COST.

Usually a special assessment perhaps with a limited scope depending upon the Major areas, within 90 days of the audit, to assess your corrective action and its implementation AT YOUR COST.
"Usually"...might be in your experience, mine's different.

It's going to depend very much on the nature/content of the nc and what the appropriate follow up is. The submittal of both a plan and actual results, for review, can allow the major to be down-graded to a minor. This minor will then be critically reviewed at the next visit. A follow up visit in 90 days is not always scheduled.

Last edited:

DRAMMAN

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thanks. I have never had to deal receiving a major NC and am wondering what actually happens. Is there an a sliding escalation of registrar requirements base don multiple majors? Is there a point at which a certification can be suspended or revoked?

Thanks. I have never had to deal receiving a major NC and am wondering what actually happens. Is there an a sliding escalation of registrar requirements base don multiple majors? Is there a point at which a certification can be suspended or revoked?
A good place to start is to contact your CB! We (those both inside and outside a CB) can tell you what our experiences are, but there's nothing like knowing how YOUR CB handles things. We are all supposed to follow a system, which meets ISO/IEC 17021, but that leaves scope for variety.

Yes, there is an escalation process. Yes, there is a suspension process. Best to find out what YOUR CB does...

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
What are the consequences of receiving major non-conformances during a registration or surveillance audit?
While I agree with AndyN and the other answers, a simple direct answer to your question is both a minor NC, and a Major NC, will be handled as a corrective action. Both will require the usual corrections, and corrective actions. The Major is just a "Bigger" issue. That is where the differences come into play. Because it is a bigger issue, the corrective action is frequently more involved. It gets more scrutiny. In TS, it typically requires a return visit for onsite review and closure.

As AndyN said, these details will vary from CB to CB, but that is the general overview.

M

mguilbert

I agree you need to check with your CB auditor. Also your CB auditor should have let you know the consequences of a major during the inbriefing and the out briefing. That includes what needs to be done on your part and what they will need to do. As well as timelines (due dates).

Last edited by a moderator:

drgnrider

Quite Involved in Discussions
It's going to depend very much on the nature/content of the nc and what the appropriate follow up is. The submittal of both a plan and actual results, for review, can allow the major to be down-graded to a minor. This minor will then be critically reviewed at the next visit. A follow up visit in 90 days is not always scheduled.
Like AndyN said, lots of things go into the basis for the major. I've had one major (ISO-14001), for "impact", they wrote "Human Health" :mg:. We were able to do an immediate correction (re-training) to get it downgraded to a minor and then got the minor closed utilizing our CB's off-site review process... at our $expense$... but no additional on-site visit.

A good place to start is to contact your CB! We (those both inside and outside a CB) can tell you what our experiences are, but there's nothing like knowing how YOUR CB handles things. We are all supposed to follow a system, which meets ISO/IEC 17021, but that leaves scope for variety.

Yes, there is an escalation process. Yes, there is a suspension process. Best to find out what YOUR CB does...
Don't expect to "see" their policy. I asked to see my CB's policy less than a week ago and was informed that I couldn't get a copy because it is an internal document, but that it has been approved by the accreditation boards and if I had any questions, they would review it on a case-by-case basis.

I asked based on a previous post here on the cove referencing ANAB Accreditation Rule #22.

W

Wilderness Woody

After our certification audit in 2012 resulting in (1) Major and (4) Minors and then just completing our surveillance audit today with ZERO NC's, I can say that ZERO is a great number! :)

We had a lot of corrective action work in a tight schedule to satisfy our CB auditor with those 5 NC's and lots of documentation to provide objective evidence of the changes made. It hit home to management since the Major NC was leveled squarely at 5.6 Management Review!

Big Jim

Trusted Information Resource
I can explain how I've been instructed to deal with majors with the CB I work with.

Majors are called into the office as soon as they are identified. There is a discussion as to if the audit should continue. I have never been told to stop the audit. There is often discussion as to if it truly is a major, and sometimes it is agreed that it is a nonconformance, but not a major. The auditor is asked if a re-visit is necessary. It usually is not. In the several years I've been doing this, I can only think of two that required a revisit. The office asks for the audit number, and the audit package is earmarked for closer scrutiny when it is reviewed.

Additionally, the auditor places closer scrutiny on the NCR response before sending it on to the office.

I doubt that it is much different for other CBs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S IFU on web page - Consequences if the most recent one is not uploaded EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J ISO 9001:2015 Clause10.2 Nonconformity and Corrective Action - Deal with Consequences ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Costs, Benefits, and Consequences of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Open Medical Device Recall: Are there consequences? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
AnaMariaVR2 Consequences of lost cargo in pharma vs other industries Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
M Consequences of not implementing Corrective Action IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Example of Production Process Change having Significant Consequences AS9100C 7.5.1.2 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
L CE Mark - but not really. What are consequences? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
D Consequences of letting the CE Certificate Expire CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 15
S Consequences of mixing Pb-free and Pb-containing components Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D AS 9101 Rev D - 12 Months of Data and Consequences AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
SteveK Medical Device placed on the market with no CE Mark - Consequences? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 22
I Any Consequences If I Lose My Supplier Auditor Certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Wes Bucey A really DUMB Nigerian phishing letter! "FBI" (USA) Email promising dire consequences Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
S Consequences of Shipping product with label not following CE rules EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S What are the consequences of having an expired ISO 9001:2000 Certificate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Sidney Vianna A Standard that would enforce tree inspections - unintended consequences? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 37
A Ring Joint Gasket Defect Types and their Consequences Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 13
Z Consequences for Poor Performance based on a Monthly Scorecard - Actions? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
A Gage R&R Criteria - under 10%, %EV, %AV, %PV and Consequences of Bad GR&R. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
Dave.C Scary stories - the REAL consequences of poor quality Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
B Consequences for repeat nonconformances - Carelessness, lack of focus Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
Wes Bucey Lean gone wrong - Unintended consequences of some misguided attempts at Lean Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 42
A Communicating to our employees: consequences to customer of non-conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Consequences of Missing the Chrysler July 1st TS 16949 Deadline IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 31
M Moving to another location: Consequences for your Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 10
W Major NCRs within AS9100 - What is the most frequent reason for Major NCRs? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Major nonconformity due to recurrence of a NC during a subsequent CB audit. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
S Formula for Calculating NoGo Major Diameter for UN gages Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Fact or fiction - Repeat minor becomes a major IATF non-conformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
N Validation procedure, Major NC CAP - Equipment Validation process is not effective ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Is this a Major AS9100 QMS change - Quality Concerns AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
K FAA Audit - Major nonconformity for lack of timely calibration of two devices EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Legal compliance as part of ISO 45001 accredited certification. Major OSHA penalties in the USA. Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 15
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion How major corporations in the West keep failing to uphold their pledges of abolishing child labor in their cocoa supply chains Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 3
R Major nonformance finding was given during a closing meeting of a ISO9001 certification audit General Auditing Discussions 76
Y Informational Change control process - Major vs Minor change - Active class III medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
A Where are the rules for when a repeat minor nonconformance becomes a major? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 36
P Major Finding Elevation - Do I elevate this minor finding to a major one? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
J IATF 16949 registration - Major Nonconformance Finding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Sidney Vianna Top 10 Major and minor NC's during IATF 16949:2016 Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
G AIAG FMEA - Major customers of the FMEA process FMEA and Control Plans 3
M New Medical Device Accessory with New Function - Is this a major change? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
C IATF 16949 : 2016 - How put in place a Containment for this kind of Major NC IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
A ISO 14001:2015 transition audit - Major NC due to the procedure and audit plan ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 10
C How does a major NC for a support site affect our certificate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
AlienraverX How to appeal a major audit finding ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26