Considering adding ISO 13485 certification - Your thoughts?

R

rlsavard

The company I work for is in the final stages of implementing ISO 9001. On a recent visit to a potential customer (a medical device company) they provided some insight to what would be involved in adding the 13485 certification. Their understanding was that we would really only be responsible for traceability due to the nature of our services. This traceability would encompass sending material certs, batch tracking, etc. We would simply be producing parts from a drawing another company provides. These parts are sent to another company for completion (welding, sterilization, etc.) so it seems like a large portion of 13485 would not apply to us, although I do not have a copy of the standard to verify this with. So...is all of this true? Thanks in advance for the help!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
The company I work for is in the final stages of implementing ISO 9001. On a recent visit to a potential customer (a medical device company) they provided some insight to what would be involved in adding the 13485 certification. Their understanding was that we would really only be responsible for traceability due to the nature of our services. This traceability would encompass sending material certs, batch tracking, etc. We would simply be producing parts from a drawing another company provides. These parts are sent to another company for completion (welding, sterilization, etc.) so it seems like a large portion of 13485 would not apply to us, although I do not have a copy of the standard to verify this with. So...is all of this true? Thanks in advance for the help!
Based on the information you've provided, you're basically correct. The further down the supply chain and for the actual medical device, the less demanding the standard and the various regulations become.

In some respects - continuous improvement - it's less demanding! A lot of the requirements might be flowed down from your customer as to what they require you to do, but the ISO 9001 look up/comparison table in the back of 13485 will give you a pretty good idea, won't it...

somashekar

Leader
Admin
If you are not manufacturing a medical device or a medical module that directly goes into a medical device and performs certain functions or operations, then this ISO 13485 is not relevant to you. However being associated with a Medical device company as a supplier, your correct and appropriate application of the ISO 9001 concepts will itself go a long way in meeting the requirements, both internal to your company and to your customer. Remember that ISO 13485 is built on the ISO 9001 platform. Good luck

R

rlsavard

Thank you to Andy and Somashekar for your quick replies.

Andy - The ISO 9001 look up/comparison table in the back of 13485 you were talking about is not available, as I do not have the 13485 standard, but thanks for the thoughts anyway.

Somashekar - Although it may not necessarily be relevant to us, the potential customer we met with said it would be easier to recommend us as a supplier of their parts if we had the certification.

Thanks again for your help, any other comments or suggestions are appreciated!

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Thank you to Andy and Somashekar for your quick replies.

Andy - The ISO 9001 look up/comparison table in the back of 13485 you were talking about is not available, as I do not have the 13485 standard, but thanks for the thoughts anyway.

Somashekar - Although it may not necessarily be relevant to us, the potential customer we met with said it would be easier to recommend us as a supplier of their parts if we had the certification.

Thanks again for your help, any other comments or suggestions are appreciated!
A good discussion with your potential customer about what aspects he is keen about your quality management system, and how the same can be met with the ISO 9001 QMS deployment in your organization should bring in the necessary confidence and understanding between both.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Quality manager considering data science Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
SKM.Sunil Clinical Investigation considering MDR 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
qualprod Calculate number of people in processes, considering cycle time/takt time = quantity of people Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
H CER - Considering similar device/other medical devices for as relevant literature CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
O EMC testing per IEC 60601-1-2 for considering new cables CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
D Our company is considering generating a QMS Process to IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M How to Measure Paper considering Variation and Humidity General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
V Considering a Time Limit for Document Approval Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
H Iso in a box - Considering becoming a franchise for them ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S I am considering an online Black Belt Certification Six Sigma 19
bobdoering Saturn alerts customers it is considering a spinoff World News 1
Marc GM Considering filing Chapter 11 Bankruptcy - 090216 World News 33
H Best ERP, MRP Application, considering Quality? Manufacturing and Related Processes 22
I Considering Mental Condition Related to Ill Health in Risk Assessment Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
L Certificate Retrieval System [CRS] - Considering the purchase of a software package Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
P Considering Career in Auditing with focus on Social Responsibility Career and Occupation Discussions 23
P Is anyone out there considering using a Third-Party for their FDA Audit? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
T Control of Forms - Considering removing forms from our procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
S Labels identifying accredited standards - Considering making labels with A2LA Logo General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Q Considering consulting - What do I need? Consultants and Consulting 17
V ADDING NEW MEDICAL DEVICE / Product, WHEATHER THIS AFFECTS EXISTING ISO 13485 CERTIFICATION? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
U Adding another Subcontractor EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N Adding unclassified product to the medical device registration US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Complexity Rating - CB adding another audit day for "high complexity" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
E Adding models to an approved Russian Registration Certificate Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
gunnyshore Adding a new facility - do I need to submit an amendment to the MDL or MDEL, or both? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
D Adding a Class I to a sample box Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
K Adding the Notified Body Number CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
O Adding ISO 13485 to an AS9100 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
P Adding "new" medical device to existing CER - under MDD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
F Adding a medical device in another medical device package EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Relabeling or Not Relabeling - Adding our internal Part Number barcode label 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A Adding Remote Site to Current IATF 16949 Certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Adding Value prior to signing EASA Form 1 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
D Adding a new site to 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Adding claims on medical device labelling 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Adding a UDI Compliant Label to previously manufactured devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
P Adding an additional distributor to a current Mexico Medical Device Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
4 Adding a new Company - ISO 9001 Design Exclusion Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
L IATF 16949: Adding a Remote Location between certifications IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Adding an adapter to a Torque Meter to change the Range Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
R Coexisting Investigational Use and CE-Mark - Adding a new Indication EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Adding a New Site to Our ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
C Adding information to Labels - Class II Medical Devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
K Medical device procedure tray - Adding products in Custom packs Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
D Adding an extra Label on an Ethylene Oxide Sterilized Box ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E Adding a "Scope Statement " to my Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
W Quality for value adding or certification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
somashekar Adding an other process into the system - Authorised Economic Operator (AEO) Scheme ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Z Adding 1% error to data in a column in Minitab Using Minitab Software 3