Consolidating results of LPA (Layered Process Audit) for Management Review

Celtic Warrior

Involved In Discussions
I am currently defining an LPA process for my site. I have overcome many of the challenges so far with the information and experiences shared in this forum, however the one topic I am still unsure about is the consolidation of results for management review.:confused:
I believe I have the case won with the manufacturing guys to actually undertake the LPA, as they can see the potential benefits of 'fast feedback' checks. The case for consolidating the results for management review is a whole other story!
I would be grateful of any experiences in this area that anyone could share..... Thanks

CW

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Consolidating results of LPA for Management Review

I am currently defining an LPA process for my site. I have overcome many of the challenges so far with the information and experiences shared in this forum, however the one topic I am still unsure about is the consolidation of results for management review.:confused:
I believe I have the case won with the manufacturing guys to actually undertake the LPA, as they can see the potential benefits of 'fast feedback' checks. The case for consolidating the results for management review is a whole other story!
I would be grateful of any experiences in this area that anyone could share..... Thanks

CW
Good day Celtic Warrior, please forgive me but I am drawing a blank on the meaning of LPA process. Can you please define this acronym?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin

Good day Celtic Warrior, please forgive me but I am drawing a blank on the meaning of LPA process. Can you please define this acronym?
LPA means Layered Process Audits.

It is structured such that supervisors audit certain items daily, managers audit items weekly up to the plant manager who audits items monthly.

Celtic Warrior

Involved In Discussions

Thanks Miner for the explanation.
The one area of this process I am looking for some help with is the consolidation of layered process audit results. This is so the efficiency and effectiveness of the overall process can be evaluated and proposals made for improvment in the management review.
This is a requirement of my certification as LPA is one part of my internal audit (system, process, product, LPA).
I am particularly interested in audit result and NC reporting as this would form the basis for identifying repeating deviations or where layered process audits are not identifying deviations where the process is unstable or producing defects that are not being either prevented or identified early.
I want to develop some better process metrics than for example audits completed to schedule. Whilst this is useful to assure process completion it does not give any indication of the effectiveness of the LPA in identifying manufacturing process weaknesses. So I am looking for metrics that can truly monitor the LPA process and its use as a tool to drive improvement.
CW

S

Sam

We are attempting to implement a LPA process. The CQI-8 guide is very helpful, but there are still some things that need clarified.
As I understand, the LPA is not an audit of the entire process but focuses only on the critical points in a process.
Do I understand correctly? Does anyone have an example of an LPA?

Thank You,

T

tori2432

We have a simple form and I have used the same at other automotive manuf plants. Very simple form, on one side there are questions about Safety, Process Documents, Job Specific and Other. There is a column next to it to place a check mark for OK, a circle for finding and an X for finding.
Regarding some of the questions: Is employee wearing proper Personel Protective Equip?
Does employee know where closest fire extinguisher, first aid station and tornado shelter are?
Is the Job card complete?
Are tools Calibrated?

Then I have a log sheet to track the corrective actions that need to be addressed and when they are completed.
I have a chart that shows how many are done in a month, how many findings and how many were not done (accountability is always an issue getting management to go out on the floor to complete them!)

C

Chance

The one area of this process I am looking for some help with is the consolidation of layered process audit results.
CW
Celtic Warrior, how do you consolidate your results for Management Review? I am interested and want to know so I can implement this in my company.

V

vinny

CW
The system we use to bring LPA results to Management review is two fold. First all LPAs for the month are copied to the department admin who talies number of audits and number of findings and issue identified. Those results are forwarded to QA who puts together a summary chart for the monthly management KPI review (Ford QOS process). Summary chart includes plant wide number of LPAs, and % findings by area. There is a pareto for findings by cause and department. Specific LPA finding action plans are assigned and reviewed with each department and audited by the internal auditor. Any shortcomings would result in a finding for the QMS management review and an action plan assigned thru it. Hope this helps

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

CW

This quality tool is useful together with the other types of internal audit.
Automotive customers usually ask for this.
Here is a link of a searc done in the post attachment list:
http://elsmar.com/Forums/fileslist....name&pageamt=1&criteria=layered+process+audit

You could report the result grouping for most common clauses violeted according to the ISO TS standard and put in place action to reduce them over the time:bigwave:

Last edited:
J

JaxQC

I would suggest reporting both number of non-conformances (audit findings) and well as repeat issues. Break it out by layer. It’s no good if the 1st layer group leader finds none, 2nd layer supervisor finds 10, and 3rd layer quality finds 50. Should be the other way around.

The core items should be the same all the time but you can get great benefits from having a dynamic one. Add and remove as needed. New check based on Customer return, failed calibration or higher scrap seen on a particular machine, checks specific to a particular process/line that is different than others, verification period for a new control or machine repair. As the verification period passes…the checks can drop off or go to reduced control.

Top Bottom