Consolidation of Quality Manuals

D

dominick

I am the Corporate Quality Manager for a large steel distributor. We currently have 21 sites certified to the ISO-9002 standard under four seperate certificates. My goal is to consolidate these sites under a single certificate in the year 2000. I am curious as to what many of you have seen in terms of an effective system of multi-sites certified under a single cert. (from a documnetation system standpoint, registrar requirements, etc.)

P.S. Is there a thread that contains conversations on on-line quality documentation as this is also a goal in the coming year?

Thank you, this site is a lifesaver;

Dominick

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
There are a number of threads where online documentation is addressed - you might try a search for the keyword ONLINE.

I've seen corporations register both ways - individual sites and all on one cert. Motorola SPS was all on one cert.

I used to recommend individual certs based upon the old weakest link theory associated with a single cert. However, I must say now that there may be cost factors - a single cert may reduce registrar fee. I think there is enough evidence now to show that rarely does a site fail so miserably that the cert is immediately withdrawn. And - if a site does fail the immediate answer is to redefine the certificate scope or 'fix the site'. Typically if 1 site fails in a multi-site cert, management will pressure the site to bring its self into compliance in 1 way or another.

As far as the documentation aspect goes, let's face it - we've reached year 2000 so for multi-sites you have to be intranet and/or internet. You want to discuss specifics of systems pros and cons? There are a lot of variables there including how your current systems are set up. If you're currently running LotusNotes / Domino there are options, while those running NT or Linux or whatever have other options.

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
with 21 sites the cost savings would be significant. Are all sites currently done by the same registrar? having several bids would drop the cost too. Had a 3 site consolidation recently that saved $16k by changing registrars when they went to one cert.

Its a good way to go....mutli site/certs as well as 1 cert...there are many options that most registrars don't talk alot about

Top Bottom