Constructive criticism of my procedures requested!!

B

benriddell

Hi,
First post finally! - have had a real good look round the forums. Lots of great info, and advice, so I thought I would put my current project up for eval.

Been tasked with putting together a system of procedures based on the ISO9001 standard for accreditation. We are an engineering company and at the mo, I'm having difficulty seperating my procedures from my work instructions.

From the various posts i have read there seems to be a consensus of opinion that procedures are the higher level document, so I have attached a number of powerpoint slides which hopefully gives an insight into what I'm trying to achieve. Do they do the job as procedures or work instructions?

I have also attached my version of process interaction detailing the procedures I will be putting into place. Again, any comments?

(please ignore the animation on the control of documents / training slides - have also been tasked with putting together training for the whole ISO thing so trying to make it as user friendly as possible)

Thanks folks:bonk:

Attachments

• Slide egs.pps
    58.5 KB · Views: 312
P

Pazuzu - 2009

Re: Constructive criticism required!!

Hi,
First post finally! - have had a real good look round the forums. Lots of great info, and advice, so I thought I would put my current project up for eval.

Been tasked with putting together a system of procedures based on the ISO9001 standard for accreditation. We are an engineering company and at the mo, I'm having difficulty seperating my procedures from my work instructions.

From the various posts i have read there seems to be a consensus of opinion that procedures are the higher level document, so I have attached a number of powerpoint slides which hopefully gives an insight into what I'm trying to achieve. Do they do the job as procedures or work instructions?

I have also attached my version of process interaction detailing the procedures I will be putting into place. Again, any comments?

(please ignore the animation on the control of documents / training slides - have also been tasked with putting together training for the whole ISO thing so trying to make it as user friendly as possible)

IMO, the procedures you have listed act very well as procedures and depending on the level of complexity you may not need lower level work instructions. The key is whether you can prove the effective planning, operation, and controll of your processes. If work instructions are required for this...use them, if not, keep it at the procedures level. Keep it simple, and suit the company...ISO is a platform, not a slave master.

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi,

Looks ok, but I would suggest that you take an ISO course or two to help you get a feel for ISOi f you haven't already . Also remember section 4.2 subsection d states you also need " documents needed by the organization to ensure the effective planning, operation and control of itd processes"

You're off to a good start.

Regards,

al40

C

curryassassin

Hi,

In your training procedure, what do you mean by 'validated' and 'evaluated'?

For validation do you mean, has the training been done / is it being done?

And for evaluation, has the trainee been trained, do they understand, have they demonstrated their understanding, are they now competent?

Cheers.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hi,

Welcome to the Cove. :D

I think you're off to a good start. You should keep in mind that when you're doing the top-level documentation, it's a good time to review and adjust (as necessary) the underlying processes. Writing the documentation should cause you to ask questions, and look for "opportunities." This can be facilitated by starting out with as much detail as possible about the process, then reviewing what you've learned, and asking questions about the things that don't make sense to you, and looking for holes.

For example, in your Contract Review process, you're not really showing the how the process works. How, for example, are drawings reviewed? Who does the reviewing? Who has authority for stopping the process until corrections/clarifications are made? Similar questions may be asked about other aspects of contract review--who determines whether capacity is sufficient? Who reviews packaging requirements (and costs)? Who determines whether any special equipment, tooling, or gages are necessary (and their associated costs)?

Also, you should explicitly define authority as well as responsibility. The top level documentation should serve as a record of top management's delegation of authority to the people who "own" the processes.

michellemmm

Quest For Quality
>>Hi,
First post finally! - have had a real good look round the forums. Lots of great info, and advice, so I thought I would put my current project up for eval.<<

Hi benriddell:
I think you have done a wonderful job.

My approach is slightly different.......I structure my process maps aligned with PDCA. When I look at yours, I see some level of planning and heavy layer of control. The continual improvement relies heavily on CAR and very little on PAR.

If your organization's culture is more prone to adopt control, then you have done a fine job....

Michelle

Top Bottom