SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Consultancy company - ISO 9001 Implementation and Design Exclusion

D

dianamendes

Hi everybody!

I am a new member extremely happy to have found this forum as i thing i will finally clarify my doubts! :D

So, i will try to make it simple. Here we go:

- We are a consultancy company with 17 employees, developing consultancy services but also providing design services, training courses and handbooks. We work with Human Factors. I was given the task to develop the QMS as the company want?s to be iso 9001 certified.

1) ITEM 7.3 - We have a "standard" handbook that has information on the "rules" to implement specific standards. This book can be "customized" according to what the Client wants: change the content, adapt to colors or logo to the Companies internal system, etc. i don?t consider this to be a Design product because the "concept" already exists. Therefore 7.3 would not be applicable to this specific product. Am I wrong?

2) ITEM 7.6 - We have 2 equipments that we use "on site": 1 for noise measuring and another for luminosity measuring. So we go to the client?s place and we need to check if the working area is according to specific standards. Only for indicative results we use these equipments. If the result are close from the limits we include that information in our report .When we right our report to the Client we clearly state that these are only indicative results and must be verified by specialized companies. So, these are not equipment used to measure our process ( production of HF studies) and neither our product ( HF studies). Do we need to calibrate them?

3) ITEM 8.2.4 - We work for an industry where very often we are obligated by the client to work with their own documentation, Quality System, etc AND they are the ones Reviewing and Approving our reports. These are their own requirements and in some cases our consultants cannot even show the report to the rest of the team in the headquarters (confidentiality policy).

So in this case:
- How can I ensure the product ( study/report) is reviewed before is delivered to the client?
- Am I in compliance with the Norm if I use the Client?s templates instead of ours (template for report, etc)?

Your comments would be very very usefull...Somehow i think sometimes the Norm is easier to implement in an industrial service with 3000 people! :(

P.S - I have some urgency in this matter...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions
Plenty of interesting questions you have indeed.

I am tempted to be with you for 1). :rolleyes:
For 2) , well ... regardless what is in the standard ... I think it sounds a good practise to calibrate those to somehow increase your confidence that you do your best for your Customer, as well as it may raise your Customers satisfaction whilst he's getting similar measurements from authorized parties. So I think I would do so based on the information I have about it at the moment.
For 3)a, I think your Consultant review and approve in a certain way of those reports, so I would simple put the actually procedure in place,
For 3)b, I believe you can happily use any template as long as you determine this kind of document procedure on a smart way (e.g. not limiting to templates).
Cheers!

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Hi everybody!

I am a new member extremely happy to have found this forum as i thing i will finally clarify my doubts! :D

So, i will try to make it simple. Here we go:

- We are a consultancy company with 17 employees, developing consultancy services but also providing design services, training courses and handbooks. We work with Human Factors. I was given the task to develop the QMS as the company want?s to be iso 9001 certified.

1) ITEM 7.3 - We have a "standard" handbook that has information on the "rules" to implement specific standards. This book can be "customized" according to what the Client wants: change the content, adapt to colors or logo to the Companies internal system, etc. i don?t consider this to be a Design product because the "concept" already exists. Therefore 7.3 would not be applicable to this specific product. Am I wrong?

2) ITEM 7.6 - We have 2 equipments that we use "on site": 1 for noise measuring and another for luminosity measuring. So we go to the client?s place and we need to check if the working area is according to specific standards. Only for indicative results we use these equipments. If the result are close from the limits we include that information in our report .When we right our report to the Client we clearly state that these are only indicative results and must be verified by specialized companies. So, these are not equipment used to measure our process ( production of HF studies) and neither our product ( HF studies). Do we need to calibrate them?

3) ITEM 8.2.4 - We work for an industry where very often we are obligated by the client to work with their own documentation, Quality System, etc AND they are the ones Reviewing and Approving our reports. These are their own requirements and in some cases our consultants cannot even show the report to the rest of the team in the headquarters (confidentiality policy).

So in this case:
- How can I ensure the product ( study/report) is reviewed before is delivered to the client?
- Am I in compliance with the Norm if I use the Client?s templates instead of ours (template for report, etc)?

Your comments would be very very usefull...Somehow i think sometimes the Norm is easier to implement in an industrial service with 3000 people! :(

P.S - I have some urgency in this matter...
What do you mean by "right" in this sentence?
When we right our report to the Client we clearly state that these are only indicative results and must be verified by specialized companies.
Is it merely a typo for "write"? I could make a case for using "right" but tell me if I need to.

D

dianamendes

Hi Wes Bucey!

My apologies! It is a mistake:) I want to say write and not right:)

Sagai

1) So If in the project planning stage I clearly state that the Client is the the reviewer and approver and i have Meeting Minutes proving this was planned with the client, then can this be accepted? It doesn?t really make sense that who creates a report is also who reviews it....

2) In the Documents Control Procedure I can state that we use our templates and exceptionally the Client?s templates IF this is planned and decided in the Project planning stage. Makes sense?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:
It seems that 7.3 might not be applicable to the "specific product," but you say that your firm provides design services, which would indicate to me that you probably can't exclude 7.3 completely. More information about your design activities would be good.

7.6 says that calibration is required when necessary to ensure valid results. If you can make a case for not calibrating the devices because calibration wouldn't aid in ensuring valid results, then you don't have to calibrate them. Keep in mind that auditor interpretations of this requirement vary widely, though.

So in this case:
If your consultants are reviewing the reports, they are getting reviewed. If you're constrained by confidentiality requirements, you can just write that into your documented procedure--explain how review occurs, along with the constraints.

If you've selected a registrar (certification body) it might be a good idea to discuss some of these questions with them.

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions
You are getting a flavour of these things :D

My personal opinion is that I would be more confident if I would say that the Consultant is reviewing and approving that document and the actual manifestation (objective evidence) of such review and approve is the meeting minutes. i think review and approve can occur by the same person for the sake of ISO9001.
(It is a concept, details of course should be worked out)

I would not say that much for 3/b, because remember :cool: , every letter that you put into your QMS is increasing your chances to fail with. :rolleyes:
I would say, if I should at all, "we may use our templates if necessary".
Cheers!

D

dianamendes

Sagai and Jim,

Thank you so much!
I think I know now how to "solve" this issue with the reviewer and approver :)

Jim, we do have design and for that I already have template that allows us to collect data for planning, verification,validation and changes in the design process. We design Central Control Rooms, both the working areas and the panels, sometimes even some equipment.

Best regards,

Diana

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Sagai and Jim,

Thank you so much!
I think I know now how to "solve" this issue with the reviewer and approver :)

Jim, we do have design and for that I already have template that allows us to collect data for planning, verification,validation and changes in the design process. We design Central Control Rooms, both the working areas and the panels, sometimes even some equipment.

Best regards,

Diana
You're welcome. It sounds like you're on the right track. Feel free to come back and ask questions if you need help. :bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Permissible Exclusions for QM ISO9001:2008 Audit and Consultancy Services Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
I Cl 7.3 (Design and Development) for a consultancy company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I Cl 7.5.1 & 7.5.5 for a Management Systems (Design+Training) Consultancy Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Where is (waldo) the customer? Providing consultancy for a "Marketing Company" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Dean Bell QMS Content for one-man consultancy Consultants and Consulting 19
Sidney Vianna ISO 20700:2017 - Guidelines for management consultancy services Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Z ISO 17020:2012(E) Quality Manual Example for a Asbestos Consultancy Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
C Consultancy for ISO 22000 Career and Occupation Discussions 4
Sidney Vianna ISO/PC 280 Management Consultancy - Standardization of Management Consultancy Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
B Oil and Gas Engineering Consultancy Auditing Internal Auditing 3
M FDA Submission Consultancy - Registering and marketing our products in the US 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
T Design Review Checklist for an Electrical Engineering Consultancy Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
T Design Validation - Justifiable Exclusion for an Electrical Engineering Consultancy Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
B Engineering Consultancy - Clause 7.5.5 (Preservation) and 7.6 Equipments ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
A Can we get ISO-9001 Certification for a Design Consultancy? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
G Transportation Consultancy that produces reports and drawings - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
G Consultancy service that produces independent reports - Is 7.3 applicable or not ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
C Certification process for small consultancy practice far away from main cities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C ISO 9001 for a Design & Engineering Consultancy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L How to Audit a Quantity Surveying Consultancy Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
T Omitting Decision to Quote Procedure - Small engineering consultancy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K Excluding Design & Development - Small business - Consultancy Services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Environmental Impacts for Engineering Activities and Related Technical Consultancy Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 25
D TS16949 Consultancy - What should I expect from a TS16949 Consultant? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
N Registrars / Certification Bodies offering consultancy and training services? Registrars and Notified Bodies 17
D How does ISO9001 fit into a Recruitment Consultancy environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
P How to gain ISO 9001 accreditation for a one man consultancy business ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Looking for Lean Consultancy Firm in Japan Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
Antonio Vieira Price for ISO 9001 consultancy? Career and Occupation Discussions 11
M External Auditors - Value Adding Audit & Consultancy General Auditing Discussions 3
I ISO 9001 - Exclusions Doubts - Placement consultancy services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
W Certification body has a consultancy arm - Also this CB is not listed in IATF list Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
W Consultancy on the fly - Registrars located in the Far East Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
J Validity of CE mark on distributed product when company ceases trading EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Must a company be 17025 accredited to perform internal calibrations? ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
S Business Number versus Company ID? Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
M Transferring ISO 17025 from one company to another ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
P Audit check for IT company (ISO 9001) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
F IVD registration in EU - Northern Ireland based company EU Medical Device Regulations 0
W Where does a coatings and paint company fall in IATF? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
A AS9100D - Clause 8.1 Operation - Coating service company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
O Informational Ford Motor Company Customer Specific Requirements for IATF 16949:2016 - 08 Jan 2021 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
L Have been purchased by a corporate company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Advice needed: Shall I report my not complying company to NB / competent Authority (Europe) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
lanley liao What shoud i do if our company top management has been changed. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
S Malcolm Baldrige Company Dashboard Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
T IATF Rules for sharing production space with another company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
J Leveraging another company's ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R MDEL and company affiliate Canada Medical Device Regulations 0