Consumable Parts Monitoring and Reordering - Gloves, grinding discs, earplugs, etc.

P

palmer

Re: Consumable Parts Monitoring and Reordering - Gloves, grinding discs, earplugs, et

That is a great idea Caster but what about multiple shifts in the same area? Do you have that and if so does that system work?

I like the vending machine idea too. But I think we are too small to be able to purchase one to work that way.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: Consumable Parts Monitoring and Reordering - Gloves, grinding discs, earplugs, et

One rule I followed which worked for keeping track - "no reissue/replacement unless damaged or otherwise unusable" First time users of a product got put on a list kept in the bin for each product - name on list, no reissue without turn-in. If you had something to turn in, no further paperwork required. Cut down on hoarding - an understandable ploy by employees if the policy makes it difficult to get replacements.

Rapid consumables (cutting inserts, gloves, earplugs, etc.) were issued in lots (one package of ten inserts, one bundle of six pairs of gloves, six sets of ear plugs, etc.)

We asked employees to help us determine which products gave value in use or should be replaced with something else.

Some things we found easier to just keep stocked at each work station instead of requiring checkout through a storekeeper (whether one storekeeper for entire organization or one for each department.)

Thus we ended up having dispensers at each station for earplugs, wiping rags, etc. with cutouts in the dispenser to see stock was low and time to reorder/restock from central supply.

My reasoning was this - if I can trust an operator with a $500,000 machine, I ought to be able to trust him with a 50 cent pair of gloves!

More expensive items (calipers, micrometers, etc.) still went through the turn in/reissue system, not because of trust, but so we could track value usage or identify failure, misuse, or abuse which might lead to changing product for a sturdier one or retraining user to use the product more efficienty/effectively.

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource

That is a great idea Caster but what about multiple shifts in the same area? Do you have that and if so does that system work?

I like the vending machine idea too. But I think we are too small to be able to purchase one to work that way.

Yes we ran 3 shifts a day, 5 days a week, and it was no problem.

The only thing we found was the first work area supply board past the main doors got hit hard by staff people going out to the floor. They just added more storage racks to make up for it.

The boss had the same idea that Wes had, we trust our people to run expensive machines, why fuss over a pair of gloves.

M

mooreke3

Our site has a similiar setup, with 4shifts 24/7. The replenishment of the different storage areas and toolboxes were assigned to the different shifts. How the shift assigned the actually individual within the shift to the task was up to the shift supv, but he/she has the accountable for completion. The shift supervisors have designed a standard rotation of areas so that a shift is not permanently assigned to the same storage area-this helps if any one area requires more attention than others. After a few glitches of how often the inventory needs to be checked, the system has been working well for over a year.

Top Bottom