Contacting the Supplier's CB vs a Supplier Audit - Nonconformance Problems

T

tabort

We've had ongoing problems with a supplier who is AS9100. On top of that, they are one of a very limited number of companies authorized by our customer to perform a specific finish operation. We have had multiple instances of finish applied to the wrong area, over spray, and incorrect finish applied.

My operations manager wants us to do a supplier audit but I feel this is an issue we should just turn over to their CB. This will our second CAR to them in 4 months for the same problem. I have full access to their OASIS profile and I don't see any problems there so I feel the CB needs to be aware of these issues.

So here are the options as I see them:
  1. Conduct a supplier audit and if we don't see an improvement, contact CB.
  2. Contact the CB now.
  3. Contact our customer and ask them to review their approval of this processor.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
You'll catch more flies with honey.

Since you have limited sources, I would meet face to face with the supplier and address the specific issue. Call it a supplier audit if you will. My guess is that their is a communication issue or misunderstanding. More likely than not, this will solve the problem. If that doesn't work, then work thru your customer. They can put some pressure on them or give you alternatives. If you "turned me in" to the a CB for these issues without working with me, you would go on the pay no mind list pretty quick. Good luck getting your parts back.

R

Reg Morrison

The CB feedback loop in OASIS is not supposed to replace your normal communication channels with your supplier. However, if the supplier seems unresponsive to your feedback, I would not hesitate to use that channel.

Sometimes a large supplier does not pay attention to the needs and requirements of "small" customers. CB's pressure sometimes is what it takes to keep the supplier honest to their "quality policy".

Good luck.

P

PaulJSmith

I have to agree with Golfman25. You absolutely need to work directly with your supplier and try to help them improve their service to you. Do this in person. Most times, written word alone will not adequately convey the essence of your concerns. Besides, people generally respond better to in-person meetings.

Should that fail to improve your situation, then you might ask your customer to intervene on your behalf and apply some pressure that way. It's their approved supplier, and they have a vested interest in the parts being correct, too.

Beyond that, you may need to consider moving to one of the other "very limited number" suppliers.

Good luck.

T

tabort

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I kind of suspected my instincts were off and that's why I posted here. I'll call them this afternoon and set it up.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Contacting a "Must Use" (aka Sole Source) Supplier's Registrar Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
Marc Problems - Contacting Us about Problems (How To - Etc.) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
K 21 CFR Part Part 803 Corrections - Due Diligence - Contacting MIA Consignees US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
E Contacting FDA via phone to let them know a Submission is Imminent Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
D Toxicity of Non-Patient Contacting Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
L Contacting Suppliers to demonstrate Environmental Commitment ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
J Minimum Supplier Certifications for Food Supplements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
R Supplier/Vendor Surveys (360) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
NDesouza Verification of Supplier RCCAs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
P Supplier Audits in the wake of COVID-19 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Vendor (Supplier) Evaluations and Reports Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
F Is there such a thing as 'Critical supplier' status under the Dept. of Health (UK)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Supplier flowdown verification of tests and revisions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
B Supplier of design and manufacture process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2
R IATF/IAOB Red Supplier Pilot Program IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Changing supplier of critical raw material (III class device) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S VW Supplier Product Safety Representative (PSB) upgrade to PSCR VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
S Process Map for Supplier Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
D Licensee as a Supplier on the ASL Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 10
R Definition Key Supplier - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M Risk Classification For Supplier - Clinical Research Organisation (CRO) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 3
shimonv Rigid rules for handling supplier audit findings ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
G Supplier Checking With Gauge Pin Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
R AS9100 DELTA FAI - Sub-supplier for plating changed AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
P IATF 16949 8.4.2.4 Supplier Monitoring IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A Supplier Quality Standard vs Senior Management Direction Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
R Supplier evaluation and business needs in the context of ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J IATF 16949 8.4.1.2 Supplier selection process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Supplier audit question cataloque VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
Ed Panek Inactive key supplier question - We are not actively buying from them ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Ajit Basrur Quality Agreement with supplier covering medical devices and consumer requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K Supplier re-evaluation (API Q1) Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
C Approving AWS as a supplier (ISO 13485) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Supplier related drawings and verification of process requirements - Source Inspection AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
Q AS9120 Vendor of ESD Monitoring Equipment needs to be in the Approved Supplier List? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
R Supplier Controls we can place on Single-Source Suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Declaration of Conformity for Product from Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6