Contamination Control - Class Is medical devices (Clause 6.4.2 ISO 13485:2016 (E))

Hi all,
I'm vietnamese. So, my english is so bad. Sorry about this.
I'm in an urgent situation that our CE Notify Body need us provide IQ and OQ of clean room. The problem is that we only have a control room (with some control such as air shower door, hygiene, temperature...). But, we don't have clean room. For detail, we have measured particle concentration which is reach class 8 (according to ISO 14644-1). In addition, we also control microorganisms by some procedure like hygiene, measuring microorganism in worker hand, surface, equipment...
My question is if class Is need a exactly cleanroom?
Please help me this problem.
Thank you so much.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
You explain that you have a controlled space where you measure the particles and microorganisms. This is a clean room. Why do you say it is not a clean room?

You explain that you have a controlled space where you measure the particles and microorganisms. This is a clean room. Why do you say it is not a clean room?
We don't have pressure gage to control routine differential pressure. We don't control airflow also. In addition, the construction of our room isn't clean room. But, we have procedure to control contamination such as: prevent contamination equipment, procedures for transport of material between areas, good hygiene practices, clothing (gowning, gloves, hair covers, facial hair covers, sanitizing soap, finger cots), behavior in work area, periodic cleaning and maintenance of air vents, periodic particle concentration measurement, periodic microorganism measurement in worker hand/ equipment and table surface.

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
It sounds like your room is "controlled - not classified", ie you have controls but do not state you meet an ISO14644 classification. I would firstly avoid calling it a "cleanroom" as it does not meet the standard.

There is nothing wrong with this provided there is no regulatory expectation to have one, and there is no contamination or microbiological specification for the product you are making. If such a product specification, then you should have a classified room.

It sounds like your room is "controlled - not classified", ie you have controls but do not state you meet an ISO14644 classification. I would firstly avoid calling it a "cleanroom" as it does not meet the standard.

There is nothing wrong with this provided there is no regulatory expectation to have one, and there is no contamination or microbiological specification for the product you are making. If such a product specification, then you should have a classified room.
Many thanks. Yes, we don't have clean room. In detail, our product is surgical gown (made by smmms fabric) and surgical drape (with material is smmms, nonwoven absorbent fabric, some plastic PE film and PU incise film). We have ETO sterilization system also. However, the CE auditor ask us a clean room. They request according to clause 6.4.1 and 6.4.2 of ISO 13485:2016. Could I debate them about this NC?

chris1price

If you are sterilising the product, you need strict controls over the cleanliness of the manufacturing area. The auditor is correct in raising the non-conformance, your room needs to meet ISO14644, including pressure monitoring and airflow, I would suggest at least Class 7 or higher when in use. Without these you can not control the flow of dirty air, or what control is happening in the room between the times when you monitor particulate.

Many thanks. I understand the risk of contamination. Although we don't have pressure differential control and air flow control, we have do some control such as air shower door, hygiene, temperature, pest control, protect cloth, shoe, mask.... The problem is this Notify Body certificated ISO 13485:2016 to us, but they raise this NC's for CE marking assessment (which is still reviewing 10 months after ISO 13485:2016 certificated cause of some NC's). This auditor didn't ask about clean room request since inside audit. In that time, we cannot construct a clean room in one or two months to close NC. In detail, we still apply MDD not MDR.

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
I agree with Chris. You need to attain compliance to ISO 14644 and ISO 14698. This means you will have to construct the clean room and do regular monitoring. This includes doing bioburden testing. You probably will not get CE Mark until this is done.

chris1price

Sorry, but the answer is yes you need a cleanroom. In order to sterilise a product, you need a controlled level of bioburden. If the background environment is not consistently clean, you can't provide that control.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Infrastructure: Equipment, Work Environment and Contamination Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S When is ISO 13485:2016 6.4.2 Contamination Control appropriate? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
D ISO: 13485:2016 Sec. 7.5.2 (C) - Requirements for cleanliness of product or contamination control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C 6.3Infrastructure & 6.4Work environnement & contamination control exclusion ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
N Control of Metal Plating Baths - Contamination from base metals Service Industry Specific Topics 4
C ISO 13485 Clause 7.5.1.2.1 Cleanliness of Product and Contamination Control Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Cleanliness of Product & Service and Contamination Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
somashekar Health, hygiene and contamination control procedure for a sensor cable product. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Critical Control Points development and Cross contamination in food preparation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
S HACCP on Time and Temperature Control - Microbiological Contamination Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
J Can "7.5.1.2 cleanliness of product and contamination control" be non-applicable? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
N Contamination Control required by GM in QSB Implementation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
A 7.5.1.2.1 Cleanliness of Product and Contamination Control - Service Provider Service Industry Specific Topics 2
A ISO 14644 - Contamination Control Standards ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
B ISO 8536-4 Contamination Index ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
C Looking for source of silicone contamination in ISO Class 8 Cleanroom Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
J ISO 13485 - 7.5.2 cleanliness , 6.4.2 validation of special processes, and 6.4.2 contamination ability to be exempt? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M FDA News US FDA – Statement about rates of duodenoscope contamination from preliminary postmarket data Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Manufacture/Assembly Contamination Assessment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
M Cleanliness and Contamination question (Medical Device Component Manufacturer) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S ARP 1820 Surface Contamination Testing Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
A Contamination: VDA 19.1 vs DIN 8964-C1 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
P What is ion contamination? Specs are C-7000 & Q1000-119 - Material is Ultradur B4300 Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
D US Laboratory which can do Bosch test F 02N P00 089 Contamination Spec VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
0 Calculation of Contamination Reduction Efficiency Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
I RoHS vs Non-RoHS - Best Practice for preventing Cross-Contamination? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
N What is the best way to check Plastic for Contamination? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
B ISO 13485 7.5.1.2.1 Cleanliness and Contamination of Product Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
0 Process Metal Contamination Prevention (from metal scissors?) Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
R Product Contamination Risk Analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S NADCAP and CCA (Particle Counting) in a Controlled Contamination Area - Standards AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Medical Device Risk Assessment - Environmental Contamination ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
Marc 421,000 lbs. of beef recalled by Swift - Contamination by E.coli O157:H7 bacteria Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
B Food Cross Contamination question Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 17
ScottK Cobalt 60 contamination in Stainless Steel RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 14
D I need help finding ISO solid contamination code 18/15/13 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
G Measuring Part Contamination Quantatively Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Q Reduction Of Foreign Matter (Contamination) Complaints in your Factory Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
K Disposal requirements - Contamination from waste products and medical device disposal ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Implant Contamination - 17-4 SS Devices - Machine Shop ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
V Micro Contamination - Emoderivates (producing albumin, etc from human plasma) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P IATF 16949 requirement - error-proofing in control plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C 8.5.1.1 Control of Equipment, Tools, and Software Programs - Questions about the extent of control of NC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q Version/Revision Control of CAD files Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0
J Control Plan use on the manufacturing floor FMEA and Control Plans 4
E Change in control plan - Do I have to do sampling? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1