Informational "Context of the Organization" in ISO 9001:2015 Clause 4.1

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
One of these days I am gonna have to delve into ISO9001-2015 and AS9100 D and help us get there. I have spent almost no time on this yet, but the first weird (to me) thing I came across in a quick scan was section 4 -- context of the organization. And I wondered, gee, how did I ever get along without that? :rolleyes:

I guess I am dense, but I read the words in 4.1 in the standard and it kinda registered to me as "blah, blah, blah...blah blah". Can someone please explain this section better than the standard did?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

LUV-d-4UM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Context of the Organization

IT took me a long time to understand 4.1. I must have read it 100 times and after listening to our CEO's Business Plan a light came one.

BoardGuy

Re: "Context of the Organization" in 4.1 of ISO 9001

Actually you cannot understand the organization and its context (4.1) without first understanding the needs and expectations of interested parties (4.2). The Standard writers got the order wrong but once you address 4.2 you will find 4.1 much easier to define.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

What is the purpose of your organization existing and sustaining over time... (be specific)
What environment are you operating in... (scale, geography, standard, custom, general, high precision, technology specialization ...)
Who are interested in your organization and what is the organization response to meet the requirement. >> The organization people, the share holders, the suppliers, the customers, the statutory and regulatory, associates, ..... may be you identify specific others.
A grip on this entirety commonly understood by the people who are the management and the decision makers, is your organization context.
This is not static, and changes that happens within or in the environment or in the interested parties have to be addressed as and when it comes up.

Last edited by a moderator:

LUV-d-4UM

Not quite right. How would you know how to define the scope if you do not understand the requirements of the parties that are interested in your QMS? You must first understand the business plan, determine what's needed to execute the plan.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource

I look at it this way....how did we ever survive all these years without specifically listing the "context of the organization" in our QMS documents in exactly the way they are now asking for it?

Either it has been there in the QMS all along, but called something else, or it existed but was not specifically spelled out in the QMS documents.

Maybe I'm just grumpy this Monday morning, but I get tired of jumping through ISO/AS hoops when I do not see a clear benefit to it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Informational Context of the Organization & Interested Parties Evidence - ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 4.1/4.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 82
S ISO 14001 Clause 4.1 Organization and its context - What does an Auditor expect? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 12
S ISO 27001:2013 - How to document Context Of the Organization IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 13
Q IATF 16949 organization context IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J What to add to our QMS for Clause 4 Context of the Organization AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
A Risk Assessment Technique that fits the Context of the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Identifying context for every process in an organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
R Process control documents - Context of API Spec Q1, Clause 5.7.1.3 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
R Supplier evaluation and business needs in the context of ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
DuncanGibbons Qualification vs Certification in an Aerospace context AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
somashekar ISO 9001 Certification, School context - Students are...? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
P Why does the standard clause use the term Issues in place of Context - ISO 27001 4.1 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
P What is the exact difference between Risk and Opportunity in context of ISO 27001? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
Q Closing Out Negative Issues in Context and Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
U Spreadsheet Context, interested parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Context SWOT tie to ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 6.1 Risk and Opportunities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Tie in Context - Interested party - Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D Introducing an existing product into automotive context - DFMEA needed? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Q ISO 9001:2015 - Extent of Policy and Scope with Context and Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q Risk Analysis - Same Risk Treatment for Context and Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q To include Context and Interested Parties in Process Map? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Developing procedure for Determining Company's Context And Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 53
S Is this Quality Policy acceptable in the context of ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 24
X Definition What is the difference between appoint and designate in the context of ISO/TS 16949? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
M Reference a MAF outside the context of a US FDA submission? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
U Manufacturing vs. Production for Medical Device Software in a FDA context 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
C Continual Improvement in the context of ISO 22000:2005 Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
quality1 Definition Design Responsible - Good Definition in the context of AS 9100 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
K Nonconforming Products in the context of ISO 22000 Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
K When should validation be carried out in the context of ISO 22000? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
S Definition Inputs vs. Resources in the context of a Process - Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 21
O Difference between Configuration Management Procedure / Plan in IT context? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Risk Management in an FDA Context - Extended definition of "harm" 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
Chennaiite What is meant by 'Lesson Learned' in the context of Problem Solving Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
M Definition Definition of 'Disposition' when used in the context of ISO 9001 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 12
L Definition Bench Test - Definition (in FDA context) and its difference with Clinical Study? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
M What is unit testing in the context of IT/Computer programming? Software Quality Assurance 2
Ajit Basrur Break up and Breakdown - which is the correct term to use in Financial Context? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
B Validation vs. Confirmation in the context of an Analytical Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
H How do you see the "Risk Analysis" issue in the ISO 9001 context? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A What is the difference between Validation & Verification in the context of ISO9000? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Traders in the context of sub-contractor development QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 13
G Logistic organization and controls - IATF/ISO 9001 audit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 0
Sidney Vianna Informational IAF and ILAC Seek Contractor for Establishment of a Single International Organization for Accreditation ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
Casana ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Attendees in a flat organization Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
J Organization merger. Should we keep two separate ISO 13485 certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
O Monitoring performance - How do I determine performance measurement basis within my organization? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
S World Quality Day 2019, November 14 - Build Quality Awareness in the organization ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
F Position of Quality Manager - Can the organization's Quality Lead be shown as Quality Manager of the lab as well? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5