Informational "Context of the Organization" in ISO 9001:2015 Clause 4.1

QChas

Involved - Posts
Working at a small company (50 employees) with the owners being hands on every day our approach is to keep it simple. The following statement will be included in our Management Review minutes:

"The management team reviewed the system elements of ISO 9001:2015 and concluded that the requirements are being met"

The owners understand the requirements and can explain to the auditor when asked. I do not see a need to document any further than this.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jaldip

Can anyone provide me any document for example explaining contex of the organization and interested parties?
I understand both the things but i don't know how to document it.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Can anyone provide me any document for example explaining contex of the organization and interested parties?
I understand both the things but i don't know how to document it.
Welcome to the Cove!

The[FONT=&quot] ISO TC/176/SC2 Public Information page has a number of links to guidance documents.

Additionally, the I[/FONT][FONT=&quot]SO 9001 Auditing Practices Group page has a set of guidance documents. The one for Context might help you.

I would lastly like to suggest the book ISO 9001:2015 In Plain English by Craig Cochran. I find it to be clearly written, informative and filled with good advice.
[/FONT]

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
I'm prepping for a management review meeting, and in a section devoted to Context of the Organization I summed up our business model and risks, finishing with " We've got a blind date with destiny, and it looks like she's ordered the lobster " (Mystery Men).

Not too certain about the reception it will receive, but I'm low on #*(%$ to give today ....

Joe Cruse

Mopar or No Car
Context can also be an interesting true story about your company having reference to interested parties (role players) and your circumstances (the script)
This is pretty much where I have headed. I'm giving a general script; a very brief run of who/what we are and why, and the general "lay of the land" in which we operate. Then generally listing the roles.

I'm then noting that our "script" and "roles" will run as our "director" dictates, based on where they see the story headed, and using a business plan and sales plan as "fluid script", and that this part of the Context will be reviewed regularly in Mgt Review, and reported in the output report of Mgt Review.

This should allow me to document a fairly general layout in a manual, for 4.1-4.3, and not have to have QMS revisions every time there is a change to the business/sales/plans.

Brizilla

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thanks very much to everyone for all the info and insights. Special thanks to Jen Kirley for all the links and documents! I will be entering the "Risk Based QMS Planner" zone next week to see how it's done. :applause:

locutus

Involved In Discussions
You should not just take 4.1 alone. All sections of the standard now works in conjunction with each other building upon what an organisation should be understanding for what they do. The context of organisation links with interested parties which links with risks and opportunities, etc. etc. Build your QMS against what your company does - so for context of organisation - what does your company actually do? It then is up to you to define how this is documented either through business plans, management reviews, strategy reports, SWOT analysis, etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Informational Context of the Organization & Interested Parties Evidence - ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 4.1/4.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 82
S ISO 14001 Clause 4.1 Organization and its context - What does an Auditor expect? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 12
S ISO 27001:2013 - How to document Context Of the Organization IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 13
Q IATF 16949 organization context IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J What to add to our QMS for Clause 4 Context of the Organization AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
A Risk Assessment Technique that fits the Context of the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Identifying context for every process in an organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
R Process control documents - Context of API Spec Q1, Clause 5.7.1.3 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
R Supplier evaluation and business needs in the context of ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
DuncanGibbons Qualification vs Certification in an Aerospace context AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
somashekar ISO 9001 Certification, School context - Students are...? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
P Why does the standard clause use the term Issues in place of Context - ISO 27001 4.1 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
P What is the exact difference between Risk and Opportunity in context of ISO 27001? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
Q Closing Out Negative Issues in Context and Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
U Spreadsheet Context, interested parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Context SWOT tie to ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 6.1 Risk and Opportunities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Tie in Context - Interested party - Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D Introducing an existing product into automotive context - DFMEA needed? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Q ISO 9001:2015 - Extent of Policy and Scope with Context and Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q Risk Analysis - Same Risk Treatment for Context and Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q To include Context and Interested Parties in Process Map? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Developing procedure for Determining Company's Context And Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 53
S Is this Quality Policy acceptable in the context of ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 24
X Definition What is the difference between appoint and designate in the context of ISO/TS 16949? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
M Reference a MAF outside the context of a US FDA submission? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
U Manufacturing vs. Production for Medical Device Software in a FDA context 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
C Continual Improvement in the context of ISO 22000:2005 Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
quality1 Definition Design Responsible - Good Definition in the context of AS 9100 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
K Nonconforming Products in the context of ISO 22000 Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
K When should validation be carried out in the context of ISO 22000? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
S Definition Inputs vs. Resources in the context of a Process - Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 21
O Difference between Configuration Management Procedure / Plan in IT context? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Risk Management in an FDA Context - Extended definition of "harm" 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
Chennaiite What is meant by 'Lesson Learned' in the context of Problem Solving Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
M Definition Definition of 'Disposition' when used in the context of ISO 9001 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 12
L Definition Bench Test - Definition (in FDA context) and its difference with Clinical Study? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
M What is unit testing in the context of IT/Computer programming? Software Quality Assurance 2
Ajit Basrur Break up and Breakdown - which is the correct term to use in Financial Context? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
B Validation vs. Confirmation in the context of an Analytical Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
H How do you see the "Risk Analysis" issue in the ISO 9001 context? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A What is the difference between Validation & Verification in the context of ISO9000? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Traders in the context of sub-contractor development QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 13
Sidney Vianna Informational IAF and ILAC Seek Contractor for Establishment of a Single International Organization for Accreditation ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
Casana ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Attendees in a flat organization Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
J Organization merger. Should we keep two separate ISO 13485 certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
O Monitoring performance - How do I determine performance measurement basis within my organization? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
S World Quality Day 2019, November 14 - Build Quality Awareness in the organization ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
F Position of Quality Manager - Can the organization's Quality Lead be shown as Quality Manager of the lab as well? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
T QMS Training for my organization - IATF16949 and also AS9100 or 9145 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2