Informational "Context of the Organization" in ISO 9001:2015 Clause 4.1

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Re: "Context of the Organization" in 4.1 of ISO 9001

No problem for us. We've never included that actual phrase "a commitment to comply with requirements" as it seems redundant. If we're certificated to the standard, and we're maintaining and improving the QMS, the commitment is implicit. Our CB (BSI) has never questioned it over the past 18 years that I administered the system.

Gee, Joe, how did your company ever survive, let alone thrive, without checking every conceivable box in the ISO requirements checklist! :mg:

Maybe you never were complying with requirements, no matter what objective evidence to the contrary may exist, because your quality policy is lacking the magic words!!!! :bonk: :sarcasm:

J

Joe Smith

Gee, Joe, how did your company ever survive, let alone thrive, without checking every conceivable box in the ISO requirements checklist! :mg:

Maybe you never were complying with requirements, no matter what objective evidence to the contrary may exist, because your quality policy is lacking the magic words!!!! :bonk: :sarcasm:

Ha! Thanks, Mike. Yes, remarkable, isn't it, I don't know how we've got along without those few words. I notice in the 2015 standard that they've changed it slightly, so the policy is supposed to include "a commitment to satisfy applicable requirements." How mealy-mouthed is that? As if certificating your company to a written standard isn't commitment enough.

And as far as our existing policy being compatible with the purpose and context of our company and supporting our strategic direction - well, I don't see anything INcompatible about it, so I reckon we'll leave it alone. If they don't like it, they can just tell us and we'll talk about it.:)

LUV-d-4UM

Quite Involved in Discussions

Ha! Thanks, Mike. Yes, remarkable, isn't it, I don't know how we've got along without those few words. I notice in the 2015 standard that they've changed it slightly, so the policy is supposed to include "a commitment to satisfy applicable requirements." How mealy-mouthed is that? As if certificating your company to a written standard isn't commitment enough.

And as far as our existing policy being compatible with the purpose and context of our company and supporting our strategic direction - well, I don't see anything INcompatible about it, so I reckon we'll leave it alone. If they don't like it, they can just tell us and we'll talk about it.:)

Whatever is implicit in ISO9001:2008 is now explicit in 2015. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

[snip] As if certificating your company to a written standard isn't commitment enough.

No, not really. Certification demonstrates that you have a system in place. So you now comply with a Standard. What your Customers (and applicable Interested Parties) really care about is the performance of your system. Too often overlooked during internal AND external audits.

LUV-d-4UM

Quite Involved in Discussions

No, not really. Certification demonstrates that you have a system in place. So you now comply with a Standard. What your Customers (and applicable Interested Parties) really care about is the performance of your system. Too often overlooked during internal AND external audits.

This new standard has taken a new dimension. Displaying the certificate on the wall means that management has used the sustainable Continuous Improvement enterprise program correctly (quality objectives, internal audits, analysis and evaluation, corrective actions and management review) to satisfy the continual improvement of ISO9001:205. I would be very proud to own this certificate in its true spirit. :)

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

Displaying the certificate on the wall means that management has used the sustainable Continuous Improvement enterprise program correctly (quality objectives, internal audits, analysis and evaluation, corrective actions and management review) to satisfy the continual improvement of ISO9001:205.
There is absolutely nothing new in ISO 9001:2015 concerning that, in my estimation.

While we must keep in mind the distinction between implementation and certification, the overwhelming majority of organizations implementing ISO 9001 do so with certification in mind to satisfy contractual requirements.

To that effect, we should always remind ourselves of what are the declared expected outcomes of an ISO 9001 certified system.

The IAF Version

Attachments

• definitive_expected_outcomes_iso9001.pdf
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,352

Randy

Super Moderator

Sidney is correct.

Everyone's just getting their "T" in the wringer over nothing

Randy

Super Moderator

Why do you think this is????

You are experienced, so, please give us an explanation.

All we've really had is a change in terminology and emphasis. Previously (rev 2008) it was recommended that risk and context be considered and now (rev 2015) we're being asked for evidence of the consideration. It's always been about managing the risks related to quality (achievement of customer satisfaction & meeting requirements).

Here's what the guidance was for rev 2008 that most likely very few ever read:

0.1 General
The adoption of a quality management system should be a strategic decision of an organization. The design and implementation of an organization's quality management system is influenced by
a) its organizational environment, changes in that environment, and the risks associated with that environment,
b) its varying needs,
c) its particular objectives,
d) the products it provides,
e) the processes it employs,
f) its size and organizational structure.

Because of new language and emphasis what we now have is everyone jumping up their hind ends fretting over something that in all liklihood they are already doing and have been doing for years.

J

JoShmo

It's always been about managing the risks related to quality (achievement of customer satisfaction & meeting requirements).

Not really. Maybe in some people's minds. 2008 (ONLY in the guidance, yes)? Before that? Never. It was simply about having something which complied. Don't forget the first issues didn't even mention customer satisfaction, so its "NEVER" "ALWAYS" been about manageing risks.

Top Bottom