Informational "Context of the Organization" in ISO 9001:2015 Clause 4.1

QChas

Involved - Posts
Working at a small company (50 employees) with the owners being hands on every day our approach is to keep it simple. The following statement will be included in our Management Review minutes:

"The management team reviewed the system elements of ISO 9001:2015 and concluded that the requirements are being met"

The owners understand the requirements and can explain to the auditor when asked. I do not see a need to document any further than this.

J

Jaldip

Can anyone provide me any document for example explaining contex of the organization and interested parties?
I understand both the things but i don't know how to document it.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Can anyone provide me any document for example explaining contex of the organization and interested parties?
I understand both the things but i don't know how to document it.
Welcome to the Cove!

The[FONT=&quot] ISO TC/176/SC2 Public Information page has a number of links to guidance documents.

Additionally, the I[/FONT][FONT=&quot]SO 9001 Auditing Practices Group page has a set of guidance documents. The one for Context might help you.

I would lastly like to suggest the book ISO 9001:2015 In Plain English by Craig Cochran. I find it to be clearly written, informative and filled with good advice.
[/FONT]

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
I'm prepping for a management review meeting, and in a section devoted to Context of the Organization I summed up our business model and risks, finishing with " We've got a blind date with destiny, and it looks like she's ordered the lobster " (Mystery Men).

Not too certain about the reception it will receive, but I'm low on #*(%$ to give today ....

J

Joe Cruse

Context can also be an interesting true story about your company having reference to interested parties (role players) and your circumstances (the script)

This is pretty much where I have headed. I'm giving a general script; a very brief run of who/what we are and why, and the general "lay of the land" in which we operate. Then generally listing the roles.

I'm then noting that our "script" and "roles" will run as our "director" dictates, based on where they see the story headed, and using a business plan and sales plan as "fluid script", and that this part of the Context will be reviewed regularly in Mgt Review, and reported in the output report of Mgt Review.

This should allow me to document a fairly general layout in a manual, for 4.1-4.3, and not have to have QMS revisions every time there is a change to the business/sales/plans.

Brizilla

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thanks very much to everyone for all the info and insights. Special thanks to Jen Kirley for all the links and documents! I will be entering the "Risk Based QMS Planner" zone next week to see how it's done. :applause:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Thanks very much to everyone for all the info and insights. Special thanks to Jen Kirley for all the links and documents! I will be entering the "Risk Based QMS Planner" zone next week to see how it's done. :applause:
How is it working for you?

L

locutus

You should not just take 4.1 alone. All sections of the standard now works in conjunction with each other building upon what an organisation should be understanding for what they do. The context of organisation links with interested parties which links with risks and opportunities, etc. etc. Build your QMS against what your company does - so for context of organisation - what does your company actually do? It then is up to you to define how this is documented either through business plans, management reviews, strategy reports, SWOT analysis, etc.

Top Bottom