Contingency Plan Input - A sample contingency plan I have been developing

A

Al Dyer

Attached is a sample contingency plan I have been developing. I would appreciate any input and recommendations. The document is in Word format and the scoring principles are in the footer which you will probably have to highlight after you open the file.

(added 1:47 PM)
The last ranking is the importance rating multiplied by the implementation rating and is used as a possible ranking for improvement activities.

Thanks.

Attachments

• contingency plan.doc
    87 KB · Views: 2,914
E

energy

Just one thought

Hi-Lo Operator injury...back up. Actually, personnel cross training for vital operations comes to mind if they are really serious about contingency plans. You know, all the eggs in one basket? If I have any other pipe dreams, I'll fire them to you. :bonk: :ko: :smokin:

D

D.Scott

Does the plan have to be that detailed? Ours has been accepted since 1997 as a brief commentary (no weighting etc.). We cover all the equipment, buildings, strikes, fire district, suppliers etc. with statements like "Employees are cross-trained and can be reassigned temporarilly."

I'm not sure I see the point in being overly specific. How far will you go with it? What if the hoist you are planning to lift the tree with fails? What is the contingency for that?

IMHO the idea is to demonstrate that considerations have been given to temporary interuptions. Anything past that gets close to overkill.

Dave

E

energy

Forgot about them

Originally posted by D.Scott
Does the plan have to be that detailed? Ours has been accepted since 1997 as a brief commentary (no weighting etc.). We cover all the equipment, buildings, strikes, fire district, suppliers etc. with statements like "Employees are cross-trained and can be reassigned temporarilly."
Dave

I forgot completely about civil unrest (riots), bomb threats, tornadoes and other natural disasters. Post 9/11 conjurs up some new ones. One company I worked for had a Bomb Threat Checklist. I kid you not. Did they have an accent? Was there music in the background? Did they sound intoxicated? Did they say where? It can make you crazy. :ko: :smokin:

R

Randy Stewart

Al,
My first thought was April Fools, but this isn't the Humor Thread!
IMHO isn't this something the responsible authority should be doing? :confused:

The contingency plans we have used were at a higher level - corporate function stuff. Don't take me wrong, but these are basic managerial issues. In other words, if these managers have to have something like this to function, then I would seriously question their ability to run the department, or question the need/request of the auditor.
:confused:

A

Al Dyer

People,

Please realize that this is a sample thought up in my own limited head. Companies will surely have different criteria. I guess that more than the individual topics I was trying to set up some kind of contingency that each department would adhere to.

By no means are my samples indicative of individual businesses, just a broad stroke at the way contingency plan could/can be administered.

-----------------------------------------------------

Now to the next level, can a FMEA be a contingency plan when there is a well developed system?

???????????????????????????????????????:bigwave:

R

Randy Stewart

Okay I understand now.

can a FMEA be a contingency plan when there is a well developed system?

I would accept it if it was deep enough to show the "what ifs".
Most I have seen have the "notify supervisor . . . . ." and never go much further.

Randy

Super Moderator
Base your plan upon projected need. You also need to to catagorize your planning efforts into things like:
*Facilities
*Personnel
*Financial
*Infrastructure
*Equipment

You determine how to do it. Also check into FEMA (not to be confused with FMEA) FEMA has free material for disaster mitigation planning (which I have experience in).

MOST IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!

No matter what anybody says...You must plan according to "Worst Case Scenario". Anything less, quit wasting your time.

Check www.fema.gov for free traing and information stuff.

E

energy

Oh Boy!

See? You have to close your eyes and imagine what could be the worse thing that happen to a facilty. And you thought I was just being facetious in my earlier post. Not so!:eek: Why do you think Noah built himself an Ark?:rolleyes: I apologize. I just get so whacky when I hear the Chicken Little saying, "The sky is falling. The sky is falling." No disrespect intended. But, a flock of Seagulls hovering over me, causes me to think about a personal contingency plan. Or not.:p I think your head experiment will benefit from this discourse. Separate the wheat from the chaff. I'm wheat!:ko: :smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Originally posted by Randy
MOST IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!

No matter what anybody says...You must plan according to "Worst Case Scenario". Anything less, quit wasting your time.
I've only been a part of one disaster contingency plan, so I'm darn sure not weighing in as an expert here, but rather as someone who soon may have to do such a plan for our company, so I need to learn. What I was thinking of (and have seen in the past) was along the lines of what D. Scott mentioned. But this quote from Randy is scary if correct. What is worst case, and where does it end (or does it ever end)? An anthrax attack? A tornado hitting you dead-center? Smallpox? A nuke detonated nearby (better have all that magnetic data backed up many, many miles away!)? 40 days and nights of rain?

Maybe, like everything else, there are contingency plans and then there are contingency plans. Seems to me the Pentagon's contingency plans need to be more detailed and wider in scope than those for a small manufacturer of customized golf carts in Jersey. Maybe the first thing Al or anyone else developing a contingency plan should do is first think long and hard on the scope -- exactly how far do we want to go with this? What do your customers expect? What do your shareholders expect? At what tiny probabability level do you want to quit? Personally, if I'm that golf cart manufacturer in Jersey I may want a contingency for hurricaines, fire, or week-long power outages, but I'm not gonna develop a contingency plan for a nuclear blast. Just one opinion.

Mike

Top Bottom