Contingency Plan Testing

the_kakapo

Starting to get Involved
So we had our transition audit last month, one the non-conformities detected is the testing of the contingency plan. I have tested some situations and planed others, but other situations that didn't seem to be feasible to test ( Fire, external electrical shutdown...) I didn't plan, and I got and non-conformity for that. The auditor explained that the requirement for the contingency plan is to test all situations feasible or not, but not necessary simulate them, simulation is just an example.
So what are the other methods of testing the contingency plan besides simulations?

:thanx:

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
So we had our transition audit last month, one the non-conformities detected is the testing of the contingency plan. I have tested some situations and planed others, but other situations that didn't seem to be feasible to test ( Fire, external electrical shutdown...) I didn't plan, and I got and non-conformity for that. The auditor explained that the requirement for the contingency plan is to test all situations feasible or not, but not necessary simulate them, simulation is just an example.
So what are the other methods of testing the contingency plan besides simulations?

Refer following thread, you might get some help:
IATF 16949 6.1.2.3(e) Contingency Plan Testing

And I would like to know what you have specified as a contingency against fire. Only then I can answer the question properly.

the_kakapo

Starting to get Involved
Contingency against fire: If the company caught fire and equipment and products are damaged, how would the company ensure that the client is delivered on time. in our case we have a remote location in France with the same equipment and the same tools they will ensure production until we fix or substitute ours.
Thanks for the link but I already saw the post, none of the answers has tackled other ways of testing contingency plan besides simulation.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Contingency against fire: If the company caught fire and equipment and products are damaged, how would the company ensure that the client is delivered on time. in our case we have a remote location in France with the same equipment and the same tools they will ensure production until we fix or substitute ours.
Thanks for the link but I already saw the post, none of the answers has tackled other ways of testing contingency plan besides simulation.

It's a pipe dream. Redundancy, like you have with a second plant, is really the only way to ensure anything. Everything else is just mitigation of the problem.

I would think if you could somehow show that your second plant can ramp up to cover your demand you would be ok. Good luck.

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
Additionally you can check whether it is feasible to manufacture products on other plants equipments considering range, capacity of equipments. This can fulfill the objective. No need to physically manufacture the part, just check the feasibility.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Some scenarios can be tested with "table top drills" involving management. Others would benefit from a live drill. I had a client that finally did a tornado drill and discovered the emergency kit's flash lights did not work, etc.

Top Bottom