Contingency Plans Likely to be Scrutinized More Now

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted
Supplier Fire May Cause Ford to Shut Second F-150 Plant

My expectation
is this will "rekindle" the contingency plan auditing portion of IATF 16949. They will be looking for a plan beyond just a temporary blackout from a thunderstorm. They will likely use this event to look for responses to much more dramatic disasters.

It's not about being affordable or reasonable, the OEMs just want assurances that nothing stops their plants.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Trusted
They can have all the "assurances" they want. But short of complete duplicates, on different sides of the world, there is nothing that can guarantee bad stuff wont happen.

Stijloor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator

AndyN

A problem shared...
Staff member
Super Moderator
They can have all the "assurances" they want. But short of complete duplicates, on different sides of the world, there is nothing that can guarantee bad stuff wont happen.
That's a misunderstanding of the purpose of a contingency plan. It's not to prevent issues - no-one can do that - but to have a robust plan to be able respond appropriately. Having worked at a tier 1 which HAD such a plan, I can vouch for the fact it's a wonderful thing to see when it's needed.

Added in edit: If a fire from manufacturing in magnesium wasn't #1 on their Contingency plan, a lot of heads should roll...

Last edited:

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Trusted
That's a misunderstanding of the purpose of a contingency plan. It's not to prevent issues - no-one can do that - but to have a robust plan to be able respond appropriately. Having worked at a tier 1 which HAD such a plan, I can vouch for the fact it's a wonderful thing to see when it's needed.

Added in edit: If a fire from manufacturing in magnesium wasn't #1 on their Contingency plan, a lot of heads should roll...
Right but how could you possibly come back from a serious fire within a timeframe to keep the auto plants open. You can't just turn these things on. Just to build out, re-tool, and re-equip could take months.

AndyN

A problem shared...
Staff member
Super Moderator
Right but how could you possibly come back from a serious fire within a timeframe to keep the auto plants open. You can't just turn these things on. Just to build out, re-tool, and re-equip could take months.
THAT'S what the plan's for! Maybe they didn't consider that. I'd have expected a significant stock holding (in another building) to have been negotiated with Ford. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Another classic where top management only see doing IATF or ISO requirements as something just to keep an auditor happy...:notme:

outdoorsNW

Involved In Discussions
What Ford is doing to get production restarted:

Better article: https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...nternational-airlift-restart-f-150/617196002/

Original link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/joannm...-profits-after-devastating-fire/#369e8be42514

Also, over the weekend near the bottom of a Detroit Free Press article was a short mention of a less severe fire a few months ago. [I did not save a link] I wonder how many customers knew about the first fire and how many checked their contingency plans?

Last edited: