Continual (Continuous) Improvement - Different Standards, different requirements

D

DrM2u

Thank you for the feedback. You are correct! I am just getting my toes wet regarding the requirements and interpretations of ISO 14001 & OSHAS 18001. On the other hand I like to think that I have a decent understanding of management, improvement and other related topics. I don't consider myself an expert, just enough to be dangerous. :biglaugh:

S

samsung

In my quest for finding some case studies on Continual improvement of the entire Management System, I came across a very good article 'Two Hidden Gems of Continual Improvement' by Craig Cochran which is worth reading once again.

S

samsung

I often think of a question, why these standards, at the first place, require us to demonstrate or achieve 'Continual improvement' (in the effectiveness of QMS or of the EMS or OH&S). The requirement of 'Continual Improvement', in my opinion, stems from the overall intention with which each of the standard was developed.

ISO 14001 The overall aim of this International Standard is to support environmental protection and prevention of pollution in balance with socio-economic needs.
OHSAS 18001 The overall aim of this OHSAS standard is to support and promote good OHS practices, in balance with socio-economic needs.
While the aim of ISO 9001 is to enable the organization to establish a system to consistently provide product that meets customer requirements and enhance customer satisfaction.

While the approach behind developing 14001 & 18001 is philanthropic, addressing wider socio-economic needs of people not confined within any specific boundaries, the aim of ISO 9001 is confined to and targeted at the organization's own business needs and the needs of its customers.

Now, what I am interested to know is whether the answer to my question (improving the Effectiveness v/s making the whole system effective) has any linkage with the overall aim these standards were developed with.

Top Bottom