Continual (Continuous) Improvement - Effectiveness of the Quality Management System

H

Hooman

Continual improvement

I have a question about this clause of standard:

(( The organization shall continually improve the effectiveness of the quality management system through the use of the quality policy, quality objectives, audit results, analysis of data, corrective and preventive actions and management review. ))

improving the effectiveness of the quality management system through the use of the quality objectives, audit results, analysis of data, corrective and preventive actions and management review is clear .
how we can improve the effectiveness of the quality management system through the use of the quality policy?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

M Greenaway

This is an excellant question.

You will find ISO9001:2000 littered with these nebulous statements.

It would be impossible to find a direct link between use of the documented quality policy statement and continuous improvement.

My advice - dont worry about it.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
If the policy is a "living document" to use QS terms then it can be used as a fulcrum for change.
If it is just hung on the wall and not used as a real policy to live by then there is no chance.
The real question is " What is the quality policy and what does it really mean to the organisation?"

Policy -> Objectives & Management Review

I agree Howard,

The objectives are supposed to reflect the intent of the policy and the management review shall asses both policy and objectives...

That's how it's connected to improvement.

/Claes

M

M Greenaway

Howard and Claes are correct in their description of the purpose of the quality policy, however the ISO9001:2000 statement quoted is pretty un-auditable.

I am sure an auditor will not ask the direct question 'how does the use of your quality policy ensure continual improvement'.

He will undoubtedly look at how you address continual improvement, and if you cannot demonstrate it he may look at why you have not improved. But to be able to directly identify that the documented quality policy was not used would be difficult, unless the company had not systems for continual improvment. In this instance the NC would be against the large clause of the standard related to continual (or is it continuous) improvement, not the little bit on 'use of the quality policy'.

Wasnt the 1994 standard much better !!

Last edited by a moderator:

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
5.3 Quality policy
Top management shall ensure that the quality policy
a) is appropriate to the purpose of the organization,
b) includes a commitment to comply with requirements and continually improve the effectiveness of the quality
management system,
c) provides a framework for establishing and reviewing quality objectives,
d) is communicated and understood within the organization, and
e) is reviewed for continuing suitability.
The Quality Policy directly bears on the subject of improvement, if you can be asked to show that you are applying b and e.

This is getting a little esoteric:bonk:

Wasnt the 1994 standard much better !!
Well, I don't know... It was certainly easier to audit against the 1994 version, but I don't really think that being easy to audit against is the main objective of the standard (Even though it is desirable ;) ). In the end I think the new version will prove to be better when it comes to using it to build a QMS.

/Claes

E

energy

Esoteric?

Howard, I had to look up esoteric. Don’t that to us. That’s worse than trailing eggs.:vfunny:

I may be way off base here, but here’s my take on the original question. We developed a “Quality Policy” based on Section 5.3 of the standard. Shall ensure that the Quality Policy…..then goes on to say “includes a commitment to comply with requirements and continually improve the effectiveness of the Quality Management System……..is communicated…..We took that literally to mean that we had to have a company specificic Quality Policy (a tangible thing-not an ideal), like a mission statement, that addressed a), b), c), d), e) of 5.3. We did that. The policy mentions, in some way, the requirements of this section. There is nothing in the policy that you don’t have to do anyway, therefore you can say with comfort, "The organization shall continually improve the effectiveness of the quality management system through the use of the Quality Policy." What do you think? To me, it's kind of silly, but maybe the intent is to have everybody looking at the policy and seeing more than "We make good stuff":ko: :smokin:

M

M Greenaway

Good point again Claes.

Like you say I guess the inclusion of this type of statement in the standard is to show that all this stuff is not just words on paper, but has to actually be used for a purpose.

But how you can demonstrate that use of your quality policy actually produces continual improvement, other than the mandatory statement in it that supposedly shows a companies commitment to continual improvement, is beyond me.

Would you cite in your N/C, if you found that continual improvement wasnt addressed, that the quality policy was not being used ? Personally I wouldnt.

H

Hooman

Thanks M Greenaway, Howard ,Claes , energy .

I get my answer .
So bafore anything we commit to continually improve the effectiveness of the quality
management system in Quality policy document. and this commitment is the first thing to continually improvement.
Am I right ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Continual (Continuous) Improvement - Different Standards, different requirements Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 12
R Definition Continuous Improvement and Continual Improvement - Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 21
Anerol C What can I show as evidence of Continual (Continuous) Improvement? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 81
P Continuous vs. Continual Improvement - The Differences Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 9
Marc The Continual Improvement Process (vs. Continuous Improvement?) Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
Q Difference between Continuous and Continual Improvement IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
J Continual Improvement vs. Continuous Improvement - Terminology Semantics ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
T Continual vs Continuous (OMG... pls don't!.. lol.. ) Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 5
N ISO 19011:2018 - 5.4.2 "...audit program should engage in appropriate continual development..." Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
N "Placing on the market" & "putting into service"- one time regulatory event or Continual supply event? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Sidney Vianna Continual decline of ASQ - can it be saved? Nov 2019 ASQ - American Society for Quality 15
B Four Key Performance Indicators for Continual Improvement (Dec. 3 2019) [Deleted] Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
R Linking the Processes of Continual Improvement, Change Management, Risk Management, Action Planning, etc? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
A A Question about Continual improvement process in AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
B Ranking Continual Improvement Projects Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
J Understanding ISO 9001:2015 - 10.3 Continual Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
P CA,PA, Continual Improvement - How to start in a Service Company Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
Marc How will "continual improvement" be audited? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B Internal Audit Question - 8.5.1 Continual Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
M Continual Improvement Procedure - Please review Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B Why ISO 9001:2015 Committee Draft (CD) delete Continual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Document Control vs Continual Improvement Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
C Continual Improvement in the context of ISO 22000:2005 Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
Q Process Approach & Continual Improvement Clauses and Evidence of its Effective Use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Continual Improvement vs. Ineffective Actions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Definition Continual Improvement vs. Kaizen - Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
O Capability Study on Continual Arbitrary Dimension Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
Icy Mountain Continual Improvement, Preventive Action and Corrective Action Database Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 23
T TS 16949 Continual Improvement Requirements vs. QS-9000 Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
somashekar Environmental and OH&S Management Continual Improvement Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
V Continual Improvement of the Organization - TS 16949 Clause 8.5.1.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
I Process Improvement/Continual Improvement "Idea Stage-gate" process? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
N Continual Improvement Tools Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
A Clause 8.5 Continual Improvement - What is intended by the standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Quality Policy - Need to include "Customer Satisfaction & Continual Improvement? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
somashekar Temperature Cycling Process - Continual Improvement and ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Continual Improvement & KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) - ISO 14001 REACH and RoHS Conversations 23
V Gearing up GMP based systems for continual improvement. US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
B 8.5.1 Continual Improvement - What Quality Objectives can I add? Construction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q Statement of Continual Quality Commitment - Seeking Assistance Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 7
Z Continual Improvement based on a Company's Characteristics Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
L Introduce Continual Improvement in a Mining Equipment Service Company ? HOW? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
R Jump Start Continual Improvement Process - What works? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 9
V TQM - Implementing Continual Improvement of Product, Processes and System Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
B Continual Improvement Requirements - No expected completion date listed - 8.5.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
B Continual Improvement form - Does anyone have a CI form they will share? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
C Process Goals - Stretch or "Do-able": Corrective Actions or Continual Improvement Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
M Setting Objectives and Targets for the EMS - Is continual improvement required? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 23
R Can Preventive Actions also be Continual Improvements? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 33
J Continual Improvement - Service Company - Carpool, manpower, purchasing, logistics Service Industry Specific Topics 1