Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and The Cove Forums?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin
Wes Bucey said:
I am intimately aware that Continuing Education Units may be earned toward recertification by merely attending monthly Section meetings and publishing articles which may or may not have anything to do with the topic of one's certification.
Wes - you seem to know all things (of course others are invited to comment): It has been discussed here about getting CEUs (continuing educational units) for participation here in the forums. I notice you mention 'publishing' articles. Any ideas? And if so, what would be the 'gage' used to 'measure' a level of participation? How would we 'quality' to 'award' CEUs? What would we have to do?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Marc said:
From: ASQ Certification - necessary to maintain? Wes - you seem to know all things (of course others are invited to comment): It has been discussed here about getting CEUs (continuing educational units) for participation here in the forums. I notice you mention 'publishing' articles. Any ideas? And if so, what would be the 'gage' used to 'measure' a level of participation? How would we 'quality' to 'award' CEUs? What would we have to do?
That's an interesting question.

The closest I could imagine as "credit-worthy" in terms of ASQ re-certification units here at the Cove would fall under TWO categories:
  1. Publishing
  2. Committee Work
The articles and white papers we present here "might" be acceptable to ASQ with prior request and approval of publication here being equivalent to publishing in Quality Digest or even a Section newsletter as long as the candidate could make the statement the publication was for the BOK of the original certification or that it enhanced the job (big loophole here.)

Committee work generally refers to anything associated with the BOK or the Quality Industry in general - perhaps Moderators here "might" be able to persuade ASQ (ASQ members need to persuade Section Recert officer) of equivalency.

The third avenue which "might" have currency for ceu/RU is "electronic media" - essentially you can get a credit for watching a live presentation on the BOK and also for a media presentation.

I've never been on the committee and certainly would never presume to try to speak "ex cathedra" on ASQ's behalf. Monday, I'll call and try to get the staffer at ASQ [who deals with recertification] to visit us and give a definitive answer.

I agree - this could be an interesting new path.

I urge anybody interested in this to download the ASQ pdf file I referenced in the other thread (I'd post it except for copyright issues.) It is available for ANYONE to download for free >>>>>

You can download the recertification journal from ASQ to see how it all works:
http://www.asq.org/cert/recert/rucr...journal_app.pdf (427K)

Check with your local Section - there is always at least one guy who is super savvy about organizing RUs to be in sync so folks with multiple certs can be as efficient as possible in gathering RUs.

A

Atul Khandekar

I have seen websites offering e-Learning courses saying "If you have ASQ certification this course certificate will give you 3 ASQ RUs (Recertification Units)." This is listed as one of the 'features' of the course.

Are there any norms that ASQ has set for this? Does ASQ verify/approve the course content or the vendor before they can list RUs as a feature?

Marc, you can think about starting e-Learning courses (portal) from the Cove.

B

Bill Pflanz

Generally, recertification journals are reviewed by a recertification chair in a local ASQ section. ASQ national discourages sending the recertification journal directly to headquarters since they are not staffed to do the reviews. There are exceptions for those who do not have ready access to a local section. The recertification chairs must have objective evidence of the RU and must be submitted with the journal.

The ASQ recertification journal specifically states that papers must be presented at a professional sponsored activity and a copy of entire program guide must be presented as documentation. Note that the paper itself is not required as documentation. Since the Cove does not fit the ASQ requirement for publishing, it would probably not be accepted by a local recertification chair.

Bill Pflanz

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
A comparison to electronic college course work may be applicable. In order to get credit-hours during an electronic course, the instructor makes a set of expectations known for participation in student discussion boards. Much like I did in the MC516 course in the City University student discussion, the instructor lays out a set of questions for the students to discuss.

I suppose we could look at the validity of the originating message for the thread and see what "body of knowledge" it falls into, and then offer some fraction of a CEU per response. Or, I suppose you could offer a 0.1 CEU per month with the participant sending in some set of responses to the Cove as validation for the month.

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
Atul Khandekar said:
I have seen websites offering e-Learning courses saying "If you have ASQ certification this course certificate will give you 3 ASQ RUs (Recertification Units)." This is listed as one of the 'features' of the course.

Are there any norms that ASQ has set for this? Does ASQ verify/approve the course content or the vendor before they can list RUs as a feature?

Marc, you can think about starting e-Learning courses (portal) from the Cove.
Where is this site, Since I live and work in a remote area, I would like to be able to purchase some on-line or course work for ASQ Ru's.

Thanks
Allen

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Continuing Education for Quality Professional (Online) Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
D Continuing Education - TPS (Toyota) Training/Conference Opportunities? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
cscalise Determination of CPD (Continuing Professional Development) hours for a training course Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
A EASA Easy Access Rules for Continuing Airworthiness - June 2017 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
Marc The Continuing Decline of Google Search - 2013 - 2014 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 37
F FAA Letter of Need to establish Continuing Need Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
J Dual degree MSQA - CSU online program (MSQA) and continuing a Masters in Biotech Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
A EASA Part M - Continuing Airworthiness Management Organisation EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 40
D Continuing Assessment Audit - Recommended for continued registration 13485:2003 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D We completed our first annual ISO 13485 Continuing Assessment Audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
C Using the Cove for CPD (Continuing Professional Development) with RABQSA ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 15
B Anyone Else bored with/during their continuing ISO 9001 audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
W Continuing Professional Development - Can anyone suggest suitable training material Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
Marc My Continuing Thanks to the Moderators, financial Contributors and the 'Regulars'! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
E Continuing a nightmare with the quantity of processes in organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Randy Continuing Professional Development - CPD for ISO 9000/14000 RAB Auditors? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 24
M We need to identify continuing training needs for external source training Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S Education authority requires approval of all courses - Training services provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S ISO 9001 Clause 8.3 Design for an education services provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Informational FDA Invites You to the 2019 Regulatory Education for Industry (REdI) Annual Conference Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Clear Zinc Plating Corrosion issue...Need some education Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R Quality Assurance/Quality Control in Education Consultacy Service Industry Specific Topics 14
M Education - Jobs Requiring a College Degree Career and Occupation Discussions 2
A Audit Finding on 6.2.2 - Education Requirements not Verified ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R ISO 27001 A.8.2.2 Information Security Awareness, Education and Training IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 10
AnaMariaVR2 Value of a Higher Education Career and Occupation Discussions 19
I Education: Master Quality Management & Master Thesis Career and Occupation Discussions 8
L Environmental Targets - Services to the Education Sector Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
M ISO 9001 Certified Education Company - Defining the Product & Design and Development ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Anybody in the Education Industry? Service Industry Specific Topics 18
G I need education in Quality Management Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
AnaMariaVR2 Warning letter addresses lack of training/education 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 22
V CE Marking for Device under (Research and Education) Non Medical. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Advice on Further Education for Practitioner interested in Quality? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
D HR (Human Resources): Matrix of Competence in USA - Education Level aspect ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
V What documents are required for Education and Training in AS9100 Internal Auditing 3
C Education vs. Training - Training effectiveness program ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
B Interpretation of Clause 7.6 in the Education Field (IWA 2) Service Industry Specific Topics 7
F Realisation of Product in regards to ISO 9001 for Private School (Education) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D Where/How to Gain Training/Education to Be a Quality Professional Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 11
D IWA2:2007 (guidelines for application of ISO in education) and good gap analysis tool Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 15
C Plotting identified Competencies, Education & Training Needs into the Training Plan Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
D ISO 9001:2000 clause 6.2.2 e) - records of education ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
C Implementing ISO 9001 in a school (Education) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Injection Molding Quality Assurance - Best methods, practices, tools, education Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
D Distance Education Question. (Online Degree) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
C Upper Management Education to the gist of ISO 9001:2000 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
Sidney Vianna Guidelines for Education Sector (ISO/IWA 2) - New ISO Standard ISO 21001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
M ISO 14001 in education organizations ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
D 6.2.2 e - Minimum education requirements for workers? Some never went to school! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14