Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and The Cove Forums?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Wes Bucey said:
I am intimately aware that Continuing Education Units may be earned toward recertification by merely attending monthly Section meetings and publishing articles which may or may not have anything to do with the topic of one's certification.
Wes - you seem to know all things (of course others are invited to comment): It has been discussed here about getting CEUs (continuing educational units) for participation here in the forums. I notice you mention 'publishing' articles. Any ideas? And if so, what would be the 'gage' used to 'measure' a level of participation? How would we 'quality' to 'award' CEUs? What would we have to do?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Marc said:
From: ASQ Certification - necessary to maintain? Wes - you seem to know all things (of course others are invited to comment): It has been discussed here about getting CEUs (continuing educational units) for participation here in the forums. I notice you mention 'publishing' articles. Any ideas? And if so, what would be the 'gage' used to 'measure' a level of participation? How would we 'quality' to 'award' CEUs? What would we have to do?
That's an interesting question.

The closest I could imagine as "credit-worthy" in terms of ASQ re-certification units here at the Cove would fall under TWO categories:
  1. Publishing
  2. Committee Work
The articles and white papers we present here "might" be acceptable to ASQ with prior request and approval of publication here being equivalent to publishing in Quality Digest or even a Section newsletter as long as the candidate could make the statement the publication was for the BOK of the original certification or that it enhanced the job (big loophole here.)

Committee work generally refers to anything associated with the BOK or the Quality Industry in general - perhaps Moderators here "might" be able to persuade ASQ (ASQ members need to persuade Section Recert officer) of equivalency.

The third avenue which "might" have currency for ceu/RU is "electronic media" - essentially you can get a credit for watching a live presentation on the BOK and also for a media presentation.

I've never been on the committee and certainly would never presume to try to speak "ex cathedra" on ASQ's behalf. Monday, I'll call and try to get the staffer at ASQ [who deals with recertification] to visit us and give a definitive answer.

I agree - this could be an interesting new path.

I urge anybody interested in this to download the ASQ pdf file I referenced in the other thread (I'd post it except for copyright issues.) It is available for ANYONE to download for free >>>>>

You can download the recertification journal from ASQ to see how it all works:
http://www.asq.org/cert/recert/rucr...journal_app.pdf (427K)

Check with your local Section - there is always at least one guy who is super savvy about organizing RUs to be in sync so folks with multiple certs can be as efficient as possible in gathering RUs.

A

Atul Khandekar

I have seen websites offering e-Learning courses saying "If you have ASQ certification this course certificate will give you 3 ASQ RUs (Recertification Units)." This is listed as one of the 'features' of the course.

Are there any norms that ASQ has set for this? Does ASQ verify/approve the course content or the vendor before they can list RUs as a feature?

Marc, you can think about starting e-Learning courses (portal) from the Cove.

B

Bill Pflanz

Generally, recertification journals are reviewed by a recertification chair in a local ASQ section. ASQ national discourages sending the recertification journal directly to headquarters since they are not staffed to do the reviews. There are exceptions for those who do not have ready access to a local section. The recertification chairs must have objective evidence of the RU and must be submitted with the journal.

The ASQ recertification journal specifically states that papers must be presented at a professional sponsored activity and a copy of entire program guide must be presented as documentation. Note that the paper itself is not required as documentation. Since the Cove does not fit the ASQ requirement for publishing, it would probably not be accepted by a local recertification chair.

Bill Pflanz

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
A comparison to electronic college course work may be applicable. In order to get credit-hours during an electronic course, the instructor makes a set of expectations known for participation in student discussion boards. Much like I did in the MC516 course in the City University student discussion, the instructor lays out a set of questions for the students to discuss.

I suppose we could look at the validity of the originating message for the thread and see what "body of knowledge" it falls into, and then offer some fraction of a CEU per response. Or, I suppose you could offer a 0.1 CEU per month with the participant sending in some set of responses to the Cove as validation for the month.

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
Atul Khandekar said:
I have seen websites offering e-Learning courses saying "If you have ASQ certification this course certificate will give you 3 ASQ RUs (Recertification Units)." This is listed as one of the 'features' of the course.

Are there any norms that ASQ has set for this? Does ASQ verify/approve the course content or the vendor before they can list RUs as a feature?

Marc, you can think about starting e-Learning courses (portal) from the Cove.
Where is this site, Since I live and work in a remote area, I would like to be able to purchase some on-line or course work for ASQ Ru's.

Thanks
Allen

Top Bottom