Continuous vs. Continual Improvement - The Differences

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

Greg B

psavijay said:
:mad: Continuous Improvement and Continual Improvement what is the difference
psavijay,

I plead with you as a dedicated 'cover' that you let sleeping dogs lie. This subject has the ability to split 'covers' more than any I have seen. It pops up too often for me. Oooh the pain :confused: :truce: :nope:

P.S I hope you can tell I have my tongue in my cheek. Truthfully, this subject is a real pain. I hope you get the answers from Marc's link because I personally would hate to see it raised in another thread.

W

WALLACE

Just for you Greg

Greg,
This visual is just for you. :rolleyes:
I would appreciate your feedback. The visual is being compiled for a client, as an educational communication.
I just recently started my own home based business, creating and publishing graphical communications.
Wallace.

Attachments

G

Greg B

WALLACE said:
Greg,
This visual is just for you. :rolleyes:
I would appreciate your feedback. The visual is being compiled for a client, as an educational communication.
I just recently started my own home based business, creating and publishing graphical communications.
Wallace.
I Like it Wallace. It is simple and to the point. The lack of 'Clutter' is always something I look for in a graphic.

Good luck in your business venture. Have you given up your day job? It is a big decision to go out on your own. I'd love to spend the time to create Powerpoint Presentations etc but I have never researched the market to see what I would need to do. I know from personal experience that most of the stuff I make for myself (and my company) is easily transferrable to other business'.

W

WALLACE

Greg B said:
I Like it Wallace. It is simple and to the point. The lack of 'Clutter' is always something I look for in a graphic.

Good luck in your business venture. Have you given up your day job? It is a big decision to go out on your own. I'd love to spend the time to create Power point Presentations etc but I have never researched the market to see what I would need to do. I know from personal experience that most of the stuff I make for myself (and my company) is easily transferable to other business'.
No Greg, I haven't given up my day time job just yet. I'm just going to do the baby steps first.
I have found that visual presentations take much time and, this time is worth too much $$$$ and resources to many organizations. It's very clear that the independent consultants who have the time and resources to make the presentations would thrive. Outsourcing is alive and well.
I have taken the time to build a portfolio of working examples regarding generic and specific visuals, this is key (Many of them having a home at the Cove).
Looking at some of the presentations you have freely offered at the Cove, I would say that, you have a gift of communication, why don't you capitalize on it and offer your communication services on a part time basis at first?
Wallace.

Govind

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Continuous Vs Continual

psavijay said:
:mad: Continuous Improvement and Continual Improvement what is the difference

Continuous was used interchangeably with continual in the past while improvements are actually continual in nature.
Even today after 4 years of ISO9001: 2000 implementation people continue to refer improvement as “continuous”. Iam thinking what improvement activity would actually fit the definition of gradual never ending change as to come up with an example for “Continuous Improvement”.
Here is some interesting information on continual improvement from Institute of Quality Assurance (IQA), UK.
http://www.iqa.org/information/d2-7.shtml
Regards,
Govind.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Sorting pepper from flyspecks

Govind said:
Continuous was used interchangeably with continual in the past while improvements are actually continual in nature.
Even today after 4 years of ISO9001: 2000 implementation people continue to refer improvement as “continuous”. Iam thinking what improvement activity would actually fit the definition of gradual never ending change as to come up with an example for “Continuous Improvement”.
Here is some interesting information on continual improvement from Institute of Quality Assurance (IQA), UK.
http://www.iqa.org/information/d2-7.shtml
Regards,
Govind.
The simple fact seems to be too many folks are misusing and maybe even abusing terms. Questioned in detail, all seem to agree the idea is to take every opportunity to find a way to improve a process. This means you need to evaluate current processes in light of new information about competition, tooling, marketing, shipping, and every other facet of the operations of an organization.

It doesn't do any good to lay the misuse at the door of non Quality folk. It's a situation similar to "concrete." I hear people in the concrete trades use "cement" and "concrete" interchangeably when they all know cement is only a component of concrete (the Beverly Hillbillies called it a "see-ment pond") and I just recently got a quote for a "see-ment driveway" from an experienced masonry contractor, who also supplies "ash fault" driveways.

For the record:
I use "continual."

W

WALLACE

Thanks for the link Govind,
The small visual says it all though, regarding the confusion, arguments or disagreements re-continual or continuous.
The IQA visual is attached to this reply.
For the record, I regard improvement to be continual, continuous doesn't allow for effective learning and measurement processes at all. Unfortunately "Continuous" suits the western type of product service system/process improvement, I guess that says it all..
I agree with Steve prevette's quote in a parallel thread: "Effective improvement is discontinuous by nature". :agree1:
Wallace.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Continual (Continuous) Improvement - Different Standards, different requirements Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 12
R Definition Continuous Improvement and Continual Improvement - Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 21
Anerol C What can I show as evidence of Continual (Continuous) Improvement? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 81
Marc The Continual Improvement Process (vs. Continuous Improvement?) Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
Q Difference between Continuous and Continual Improvement IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
J Continual Improvement vs. Continuous Improvement - Terminology Semantics ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
H Continual (Continuous) Improvement - Effectiveness of the Quality Management System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
T Continual vs Continuous (OMG... pls don't!.. lol.. ) Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 5
Q AMS 2750 E or F Continuous Furnace TUS Data Collection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Continuous Improvement Plan - Plastic injection molding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D Is PMCF really a continuous activity per Annex XIV,Part B? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M "Issue & continuous improvement" columns in AIAG-VDA PFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 4
G Lean Kaizen: continuous, step-by-step improvement in the Lean direction Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
gramps What is the difference between discrete and continuous variables? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
A How to set up Continuous CpK monitoring of an injection mold process Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
P Large data sets of continuous individual data - Estimated or actual deviation Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
V System suitability or stability during continuous usage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
S Government MotorPool Continuous Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A How do I create a 3^k factorial design with factors be treated as continuous where I Using Minitab Software 0
T Method to assess Measurement System of a Continuous Process Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Need Continuous improvement Suggestions - Small (30 of us) all-CNC machine shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
N FDA Guidelines for implementing Continuous Improvement Process US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
A Taguchi Minitab - Continuous Data - What should I choose as response variable? Using Minitab Software 3
V 'Representative' Sample of the Lot for a Continuous Process Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
D Pre-Design Verification - Using Continuous / Variables Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
L Is there a certifiable Continuous Improvement system? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
J Continuous Improvement vs. Preventive Actions - Differences Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
Miner Advanced MSA of Continuous Data Part 4: How to Sample Parts Imported Legacy Blogs 2
Miner Advanced MSA of Continuous Data Part 3: Are 3 Operators or 2 Replicates Enough? Imported Legacy Blogs 0
Miner Advanced MSA of Continuous Data Part 2: Are 10 Parts Enough? Imported Legacy Blogs 0
B What Advantages Continuous Processing of Tablets Can Offer Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Ensuring Continuous Quality Raw Materials from Suppliers Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
M Continuous Improvement Log vs. Formal CAPA System Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
F Suggestions for quick & effective solution for Continuous Improvement Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A Continuous Improvement: How it works in your company? How to record the CI actions? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
H Continuous Monitoring Instrument Data Validation and how to calculate Outliers Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
P NADCAP Certified - Heat Treat Continuous Belt Driven Oven question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
0 Standards for Sampling a Continuous Process Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
P Benchmarking and Continuous Improvement Tool Benchmarking 3
J Dodges 1943 paper on A Sampling Inspection Plan for Continuous Production Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
L How to Document Continuous Improvement Projects Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
B Regression analysis with discrete dependent variable and continuous independent var. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
V Which improvement tool/approach do you adopt for driving Continuous Improvement? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
A Which test should I use? Binary Y, Continuous X Using Minitab Software 1
Crusader Real World Continuous Improvement Examples for Accounting Personnel? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
A Objectives & Targets - Continuous Improvement (ISO14001) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
kedarg6500 Continuous Improvement Course Slide ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Continuous Improvement Idea Gathering Tools and Software Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 7
L Decision Matrix to help Operator driven Continuous Improvement Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
J Continuous Improvement SOP - How to demonstrate we meet TS 16949 Clause 8.5.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12