Contour vs. Profile - Is there a connection between "Contour" & "Profile"?

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Hi To All,

While studying 14.5M, and reviewing some sample drawings (no longer at my disposal) I have noticed the use of "Contour", I have searched 14.5M and various websites for a definition of "Contour" no luck.

Is there a connection between "Contour" & "Profile"? If so, what is it and is there an official definition (other than Webster's) of "Contour"?

Thank you for your assistance...

Regards,
Marty

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

True Position

I have heard contour used as a description for a surface you apply a profile tolerance to.

eg: 'The contour of the curve is in the math data'.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Hi True Position,

Thank you for the response, so could you think of an instance where "Contour" would be used on a y14.5M part drawing, or in conjunction with a profile control?

Regards,
Marty

D

David DeLong

Marty:

No, contour would not be used on a drawing. Profile of a Line or Surface would be used. The definition for contour is in Websters rather than ASME Y14.5-2009.

H

Hodgepodge

I've never seen "Contour" on a blueprint but the word is used in the programming and set up of our CNC machines. It seems like machining vernacular.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Marty:

No, contour would not be used on a drawing. Profile of a Line or Surface would be used. The definition for contour is in Websters rather than ASME Y14.5-2009.
David and HodgePodge,

Thank you both for your timely response, I value your learned insight. Here is what is really strange (eventhough I am still a GD&T in training), I recently had an interview (Q.E.) with a large multi-national Aerospace firm, during the interview (three on one of course) I was given a "typical drawing" supposedly/assuming per Y14.5M, and it appeared to be a engine seal or flange part. Mind you it wasn't a test, but rather meant to show the type of "typical drawings" we would be working with. While reviewing the three page drawing, the use of the word "Contour" popped off the page, it, as I recall "Contour" was used as part of a FCF applied to 5-6 surfaces. Of course my comment was "this is not per Y14.5M, is the intent to use a Profile of Surface call out...", no response.

It has bugged me for tha last two weeks....I am thinking may be this is an company specific use of "Contour"...if so this seems to miss the whole point of Y14.5M....a common language used to generate and communication part function/use and its drawing(s)....kind of frustrating.

Your thoughts??

Regards,
Marty

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
David and HodgePodge,

Thank you both for your timely response, I value your learned insight. Here is what is really strange (eventhough I am still a GD&T in training), I recently had an interview (Q.E.) with a large multi-national Aerospace firm, during the interview (three on one of course) I was given a "typical drawing" supposedly/assuming per Y14.5M, and it appeared to be a engine seal or flange part. Mind you it wasn't a test, but rather meant to show the type of "typical drawings" we would be working with. While reviewing the three page drawing, the use of the word "Contour" popped off the page, it, as I recall "Contour" was used as part of a FCF applied to 5-6 surfaces. Of course my comment was "this is not per Y14.5M, is the intent to use a Profile of Surface call out...", no response.

It has bugged me for tha last two weeks....I am thinking may be this is an company specific use of "Contour"...if so this seems to miss the whole point of Y14.5M....a common language used to generate and communication part function/use and its drawing(s)....kind of frustrating.

Your thoughts??

Regards,
Marty
In another thread I think I remarked that you'd need to get used to this sort of thing. There are precious few drawings loose in the world that incorporate GD&T 100% correctly. You'll also find a sort of double-whammy--GD&T used incorrectly when it's not even necessary or helpful to use GD&T.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
In another thread I think I remarked that you'd need to get used to this sort of thing. <snip>
I can't remember which one it was, but it was a recent thread. Anyone here remember the thread? It might be good to link to it in this one.

Paul F. Jackson

Quite Involved in Discussions
I remember,

Contour was used regularly in tolerance notation for cast surfaces and various other complex form surfaces prior to the application of standardized symbology. Before the symbols one would have to "ask the author of the notation" to resolve the differences in the tolerance interpretation among those disputing.

Paul

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Question on 3D-Contour Diagram in Minitab Using Minitab Software 4
B Contour Plots of Time, Temperature and Log Reduction of Cells Using Minitab Software 9
R Contour Plot - Simulating the Contour Plot using Factorial Design Using Minitab Software 14
A Overlaying 3 different contour plots edited with Minitab Using Minitab Software 6
T Capability calculation of surface profile Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 20
K COPLANARITY: Composite profile tolerance on multiple surfaces- what does" lower dimensional reference frame tolerance" control? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
W Surface Profile All-Around AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
I Profile tolerance with a positional tolerance to a hole ? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Brizilla User Profile - How do I edit my profile info? Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 6
I Lifetime Support Calculation - Thermal Operating Profile Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
M How to verify profile gages provided by customer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E Department Plan for QA and HSE (profile, plans, structure, goals, etc.) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
G Gear Profile & Lead Report Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P Romer Arm - Profile of a Surface Changing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Reporting Profile of a surface with U modifier Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
B Profile of a Surface Callout on this Drawing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
O Can a Profile of a Surface have a Diameter Symbol? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
R Temperature Profile for Transport Simulation (Sterile Eye Drops) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
P Profile Tolerance and CPK Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K Can a Surface of a profile be applied to a feature of size? GD&T questions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Q Form IPC 1720A Assembly Qualification Profile still required? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
J Profile of Surface with Basics and Angle Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
B Requirement to have Customer Signature Profile on File Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
T CMM Inspection of Profile Tolerance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
M Measuring a circle's profile Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Complex Surface Profile as a datum Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
D Profile of a Line of a radius of 25mm basic dimension - Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M Surface Profile and True Position Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
R Capability for CMM Scanned Profiles on a feature with a Bilateral Profile Tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 26
C Inspecting a Profile Tolerance for a Die Cut Gasket Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
K Profile of a Surface Tolerance - Part with a 195 mm radius on it Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
S Surface Profile of a Hole - The meaning of the tolerance in the provided drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
AnaMariaVR2 A Profile of the Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Industry: Russia Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
B Surface Profile Callouts - How the profiles are being dimensioned Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
C I need to verify the surface profile of a part - Sine plates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
optomist1 Composite Profile Tolerancing Clarification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 21
optomist1 ASME GD&T Certification Test - Converting Coordinate Tolerances to Profile Tolerances Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
optomist1 Profile of a Surface - Applying Profile of a Surface Geometric Control Symbols Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
A Customer Profiles - Creating a Customer 'Profile' for our Top 10 Customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
B Measuring the Profile of a Surface Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 19
C Reporting Profile of a Surface Results on an Internal Cylindrical Feature Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J Reputable Third Party Inspection (Metrology Lab) In USA? Cam Profile Measurement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
P ISO 20072 Requirements - Example or template of a DFP (device functionality profile) Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
O How to report Profile of a Sphere crossed by a Hole Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 31
A Capability Studies for Profile (GD&T Callout) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
M Changing Job Profile - Logistics Engineer to Buyer Career and Occupation Discussions 3
S Benchmarking PVC Profile Extrusion Metrics Benchmarking 2
G How to calculate profile of a surface? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
CycleMike Profile of datum planes - Profile callout back to datum A (itself) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Angularity or Composite profile - Angularity callout on a recent print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4