Contract review - capability

C

Chris

My question is regarding the difference between capability review as contract review and new product development (design). Our very small company (20 emps.) manufactures mostly to supplied customer specifications. Occasionally, a customer will come to us with something that we have not done before. Depending on the situation, we may have an internal conversation about it and decide that we can produce the part in question. Other times, we may do more elaborate tests/prototypes. We are confused about where the line is between contract review and design. Thanks for any insight.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I wouldn't get too hung up in the distinction. You do different things with different projects. Be able to produce and be ready to discuss a project book or similar (project summary index, whatever - some compaies keep a single project file).

The 'contract review' part is basically everything you go thru prior to accepting a contract (PO) from your customer. There may be many changes made subsequently in response to, among other things, test results.

On the other hand you may do testing and such before submitting your bid to the customer for the contract (if a bid system is part of the situation).

What you do as contract review for Project A may very well be quite different from that of Project B. But - most of the basics should be the same: Can we do it? How much will it cost and how much can we make? How many can we make per unit time? How many does the customer want?

Sometimes the contract is in part or fully for research. Example, customer wants 5 laser cutters with a specific power. They have never been build before. It may be that the research for making the product is (at that time in history) beyond the state of the art (can't be built, but it was a good theory!!!).

At some point you reach an agreement to take on a project in return for some form of payment. What did you do before you reached that point?

Typically it is easiest to put together a flow chart of the sequence of the basic and typical steps you go through.

You say: "Other times, we may do more elaborate tests/prototypes." Are they paying you for the prototypes and such? Do you do them on your own? When does it reach the point where some type of agreement is made?

Does that help or have I confused you?

B

BP for Chris

Marc--

Thanks. Yes,I think we are trying too hard to make things fit perfectly into ISO. Most sample prototypes we do on our own. We do get paid for some projects. On paid test projects, agreement is usually reached after the customer has tested out the sample product. I would say that the paid projects are the "never has been done before" type that require considerable research on our part.

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 14 February 2000).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Contract Review with Multiple Line items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Nicole Desouza Contract / Customer Order Review Checklist Needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
C AS9100D Contract Review Contract Review Process 8
J KPI's for AS9100 Cl. 8.2/8.5 - Bids/Contract Review/Order Entry AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
R The difference between Feasibility Assessment and Contract Review Contract Review Process 2
R Review of "Key Data" for contract labs, but SOP doesn't define "key data". Problem? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
S Risk Management during Contract Review AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
V Own Brand Labeling Agreement/Contract Review ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Can anyone share Contract Review forms that I can use as record? Contract Review Process 7
S Evidence of Contract Review for External Calibration Laboratory Contract Review Process 7
R Suggestions for a practical way to manage Contract Review Contract Review Process 5
H Explaination of Launch Readiness & Contract Review and APQP Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
P Contract Employee: 3 Month Review - What to discuss? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
H Example of Contract Review for Print Industry wanted Contract Review Process 4
R Involvement of several Departments in Contract Review Process Contract Review Process 12
C Contract Review Template for an Inspection, Repair and Manufacturing Facility wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
I Supplier (Vendor) Contract Review Process Contract Review Process 11
G Audit Nonconformance - 7.2.2 - Contract Review (Review of Requirements) Contract Review Process 16
B Differentiating between "Review of Requirements" and "Contract Review" AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
Tom W Contract Review Definition in a Couple Sentences Contract Review Process 3
K AS9100:2009 Process Checklist (Contract Review) - Feedback wanted Contract Review Process 4
M Request for clarification on ISO 9001 Clause 7.2.2 (Contract Review) Contract Review Process 5
U Contract Review Process help and Software Recommendations Contract Review Process 8
V Contract Review for Repeated POs from Medical, Aerospace and Automotive Customers Contract Review Process 1
I Employment Contract Review - Categories of International Mobile Workers Contract Review Process 1
V Contract Review Process and Feasibility Analysis and Review Contract Review Process 2
S "Contract Manufacturing" - How to review the existing ISO14001 documents ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
C ISO 9001:2008 Contract Review for a business that doesn't have formal contract review Contract Review Process 11
B How to Conduct a Review of Customer Order (Contract Review)? Contract Review Process 5
M Input Request on Contract Review Procedure Contract Review Process 5
S Contract Review Procedure for a Manufacturing Business Contract Review Process 2
D Review of Contract for a Part with a Safety Characteristic Contract Review Process 4
L Contract Review Procedure for testing of samples in a laboratory Contract Review Process 3
A Definition Contract Review - What exactly is "Contract Review"? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
L How often should the contract review be done? TS 16949 Contract Review Process 2
F Contract Review Frequency - Is there a need for Annual Review? Contract Review Process 11
J Contract Review - Please help me define the requirement 7.2.2 Info needed Contract Review Process 9
G Does anyone have a Contract Review Procedure I can view? Contract Review Process 5
G How can we clean up Contract Review Contract Review Process 7
G Enquiry and Contract Records - Review and Approval Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Q Contract Review? Superseding Specifications (Handling) Contract Review Process 5
N Contract Review Question - China manufacturing site to exclude 7.2.2? Contract Review Process 6
P Missing Contract Review Records on Boeing and USAir Contracts Contract Review Process 31
S Purchase Order Problems? Contract Review Issues - Sheet metal industry Contract Review Process 6
N Practically implementing ISO 9001:2000 Clause 7.2.2 Contract Review Contract Review Process 10
P Architect's Client Doesn't Know What He Wants - Contract Review Process Contract Review Process 17
N Contract Review Consolidation - Two different manufacturing sites Contract Review Process 2
O Contract Review Procedures Contract Review Process 10
M Contract Review Process - Risk Analysis - 7.2.2.2 Manufacturing feasibility Contract Review Process 4
P AS9100 Contract Review - Can the Sales Manager be the process owner? Contract Review Process 4