Contract Review - Please help me define the requirement 7.2.2 Info needed

J

juliov

Need your input to the following:

Some of our customers during contract review request to purchase our parts as per our drawings, drawing number and print revision. After the purchase our customers change the part number as per their organization’s document control guidelines. A finding was issued to 7.2.2.

An external auditor stated that we should have a copy of our customer’s print cross referencing the customer’s part number and engineering reqs to our internal part number.

The P.O. does reference both numbers, however the auditor states the customer’s print should be in our contract review file. Comments? let me know.

D

Duke Okes

Re: requirement 7.2.2 Info needed

Since the PO lists both it would not appear to be a problem. Is there any data indicating past problems related to this? If not, why change it?

J

juliov

No, there is no data or nonconformances that have resulted from our process. The auditor reviewed a production PO from our customer and noticed that the clip as ordered by our customer had their part number on the PO, absent from the PO is our part number cross referencing our part number to the customer. The auditor might have a point since nowhere in the PO is our part number. Comments?

D

Duke Okes

No, there is no data or nonconformances that have resulted from our process. The auditor reviewed a production PO from our customer and noticed that the clip as ordered by our customer had their part number on the PO, absent from the PO is our part number cross referencing our part number to the customer. The auditor might have a point since nowhere in the PO is our part number. Comments?

You stated in your original post that both part numbers were in the PO.

J

juliov

Yes, I did. I was referencing another customer's PO. I did mentioned that some of our customers do request with their part numbers and do enter our part number in the PO. The PO reviewed by the auditor did not have our part number, the customer requested to buy from their part number.

L

lgoeke

Re: Please help me define the requirement 7.2.2 Info needed

Our customers do this all of the time. Customer Service can search our computer system for their part number, which is always listed as a reference under our part number in their past orders. We have never had a problem with this and our auditors have never said anything. As long as you can prove you have cross referenced the correct part number is shouldn't be an issue.

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
In one of my first jobs, no one ever used the customer part number, every casting had a name.

My favorite was "the dead chicken". It was a large steel casting that looked for all the world like a dead chicken.

I suspect order entry knew what the customer part numbers were, but all shop paperwork just used the names.

Another was called "the ugly part" and another was the "f...g ugly part" this being a foundry and all.

A good memory from my early days, carefree innocent times.

Big Jim

Admin
Need your input to the following:

Some of our customers during contract review request to purchase our parts as per our drawings, drawing number and print revision. After the purchase our customers change the part number as per their organization’s document control guidelines. A finding was issued to 7.2.2.

An external auditor stated that we should have a copy of our customer’s print cross referencing the customer’s part number and engineering reqs to our internal part number.

The P.O. does reference both numbers, however the auditor states the customer’s print should be in our contract review file. Comments? let me know.

I don't see a "shall" to hang that on. Ask the auditor to point out the requirement from the standard that you missed.

J

juliov

Caster,

LOL. Very interesting, I must admit that it is odd but it worked for your organization. Thanks! I get the point.

J

juliov

Re: Please help me define the requirement 7.2.2 Info needed

Igoeke,
thanks for your input. Presently our Customer Service does cross reference a customer's part number to our part number by simply using our computer system and performing a search by "part number- cross reference" and bingo! within seconds we can ID the customers part number to our part number, thus I don't see where the auditor came from with his finding. We believe he came to this conclusion quickly his original perception was a finding. We have never had an issue such as not being able to ID a part.

Top Bottom