Definition Contract Review - What exactly is "Contract Review"?

A

Adam S

What exactly is "contract review"?

I'm working within an ISO13485 environment, specifically looking at remodelling our supplier management systems.

I don't know, but I do not fully understand what is meant by the term 'contract review'

Is it:

a) reviewing customer orders, and assessing our ability to fulfil that order to the required customer spec

b) reviewing our orders/contracts with our suppliers, to ensure that our agreements and contracts adequately cover our requirements

c) both of the above

I believe it's a), others in my organisation believe it's b)

Help!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: What exactly is "contract review"?

"Contract review" is a term used in older standards. It is now called "Customer Related Processes."

It involves:
  • Determination of customer requirements
  • Review of requirements
  • Customer communication.
You are correct.

Option "b" is called "Purchasing."

Stijloor.

JoCam

Trusted Information Resource
Re: What exactly is "contract review"?

Hi Adam,

Contract Review is as you have described in a).

Any contracts or orders reviewed between an Organisation and their Supplier for raw materials and/or components is covered in Purchasing.

I hope this helps.

Jo

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: What exactly is "Contract Review"?

In one of those threads about Contract Review (http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=264727&postcount=9), I wrote
Speaking only from my own experience and NOT ex cathedra, we used a multidiscipline approach to Contract Review.

1. Engineers and operators commented on our capability to perform (did we have technical ability to produce according to requirements?)
  2. Managers and accounting commented on our capacity to perform (did we have the resources and open machine time without impacting current business?)
  3. Purchasing commented on whether we could obtain materials within a specified lead time (a BIG consideration when dealing with exotic alloys.)
  4. Quality people commented on whether we had expertise and instruments to inspect to meet requirements
  5. Managers checked on capacity and capability of prospective customer to pay us (some prospects had bad reputations as PIAs to do business with and we often declined a contract for such a reason.)
  6. We investigated "WHY?" a customer might be switching suppliers.
  7. We offered concurrent engineering to find a more efficient design or method of manufacture to deliver required form, fit, function.
  8. We only agreed to contracts (for custom made goods) where we and the customer approached the transaction as "partners" versus the master/slave relationship many here in the Cove are familiar with.
  9. When we were satisfied we were close to a deal, we charted ALL the requirements on a grid and made arrangements to meet or exceed each one, from delivery date and price to lot size and labeling and everything in between. When the contract was agreed, that "performance grid" became part of the traveler and no goods left our dock unless and until the grid was complete.
The sticky part is getting everyone to work as a team and eliminating the silos which plague so many organizations. I always found Deming's System of Profound Knowledge (SoPK) to be key in creating and maintaining a cohesive team.
Today, I think a smart purchaser ought to inquire whether his suppliers are performing a similarly rigorous Contract Review before accepting a contract (purchase order.)

JoCam

Trusted Information Resource

Today, I think a smart purchaser ought to inquire whether his suppliers are performing a similarly rigorous Contract Review before accepting a contract (purchase order.)
Excellent point Wes.

Jo

B

Boscoeee

I'm working within an ISO13485 environment, specifically looking at remodelling our supplier management systems.

I don't know, but I do not fully understand what is meant by the term 'contract review'

Is it:

a) reviewing customer orders, and assessing our ability to fulfil that order to the required customer specThis is actually determining customer requirements prior to submitting a quote.

Contract review has to be performed when you get the contract to confirm that the customer has indeed tendered the contract or PO that is in agreement with your quote.

b) reviewing our orders/contracts with our suppliers, to ensure that our agreements and contracts adequately cover our requirements. You are correct!

c) both of the above

Help!

IMHO, Contract Review deals with different situations.

Initially, there is a determination of customer requirements at which point as a supplier you indicate that you are capable of providing product meeting customer requirements. At which point you tender a quote along with lead time.

Once a customer PO has been received a supplier performs a contract review to ensure that the PO matches what the quote stated. This PO typically comes with a set of Terms and Conditions which by accepting the PO a supplier accepts the T&C.

In our business we also have General Supplier Agreements with our customers which are considered contracts (covering a list of parts) and provide the framework for dealing with all of the normal relationship issues between Customer and Supplier. Typically, this contract requires extensive review and agreement prior to execution usually on a three year cycle.

Suppliers

In dealing with suppliers it is expected that you are either using PO T&C or a "Contract" with the supplier. Either way, it is your responsibility to ensure that all your requirements are flowed down to the supplier by PO, T&C, and or formal contract.

C

Chris Ford

Is it:

a) reviewing customer orders, and assessing our ability to fulfil that order to the required customer spec

b) reviewing our orders/contracts with our suppliers, to ensure that our agreements and contracts adequately cover our requirements

c) both of the above

Help!
Until 13485:2003, this was a topic of confusion for many companies. Many companies had interpreted this requirement to imply "any and all contracts", not just customer-related arrangements. But, it remained unclear exactly what they were reviewing in different situations. On the contrary, I've seen many companies state that contract review was not applicable to their organizations at all, because they didn't manufacture "custom" orders and/or were not contract manufacturers. In both cases, they missed the point.

Consequently, "Contract Review" was never intended to implicate purchasing or any other contracts. Contract review requirements in the standard are intended to assure that the organization understands customer requirements and fulfills them.

13485:2003 really clarifies this and removes the ambiguity. We no longer call it, "Contract Review" - the term was confusing and vague.

13485:1996 4.3 Contract Review translates to 13485:2003 5.2 Customer Focus which states:

"Top management shall ensure that customer requirements are determined and are met (see 7.2.1 and 8.2.1)."
Here, it's clear that contract review = determination of customer requirements (and meeting them). 7.2 goes on to explain:

"7.2.1 Determination of requirements related to the product

The organization shall determine

a) requirements specified by the customer, including the requirements for delivery and post-delivery activities

7.2.2 Review of requirements related to the product

The organization shall review the requirements related to the product. This review shall be conducted prior to the organization's commitment to supply a product to the customer (e.g. submission of tenders, acceptance of contracts or orders, acceptance of changes to contracts or orders) and shall ensure that

a) product requirements are defined and documented,
b) contract or order requirements differing from those previously expressed are resolved, and
c) the organization has the ability to meet the defined requirements.

7.2.3 Customer communication

The organization shall determine and implement effective arrangements for communicating with customers in relation to

b) enquiries, contracts or order handling, including amendments,"

As to "b) reviewing our orders/contracts with our suppliers, to ensure that our agreements and contracts adequately cover our requirements", these requirements are covered in Purchasing and acceptance activities. 7.4.1 and 7.4.2 clearly define the requirements:

7.4.1 Purchasing process

The organization shall establish documented procedures to ensure that purchased product conforms to specified purchase requirements
(e.g. specifications).

The organization shall evaluate and select suppliers based on their ability to supply product in accordance with the organization’s requirements
(e.g. product requirements, customer requirements, regulatory requirements, etc).

Criteria for selection, evaluation and re-evaluation shall be established.

7.4.2 Purchasing information

Purchasing information shall describe the product to be purchased, including where appropriate

a) requirements for approval of product, procedures, processes and equipment,
b) requirements for qualification of personnel, and
c) quality management system requirements.

The organization shall ensure the adequacy of specified purchase requirements prior to their communication to the supplier.
So, in purchasing, we establish the criteria to "qualify" suppliers. We conduct the appropriate review (e.g. quality audit, financial review, etc). We provide detailed purchasing information (specifications, requirements, inspection criteria, etc). Then we verify, either at the supplier's location or our own, that the purchased product meets the specification. We then periodically requalify the supplier, and monitor acceptance activities. The purchasing procedures will somewhat mirror "contract review", in that there is a series of verification steps required to assure that requirements are met. In essence, it's the same type of process, but spelled out with specific criteria in the standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J NCR- Failure of contract review process - NADCAP audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Y Procedures on Contract Review Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
bryan willemot Contract Review and risk managment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J Can signed agreements over-ride review of every "contract" under ISO 13485:2016? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Contract Review with Multiple Line items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Nicole Desouza Contract / Customer Order Review Checklist Needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
C AS9100D Contract Review Contract Review Process 8
J KPI's for AS9100 Cl. 8.2/8.5 - Bids/Contract Review/Order Entry AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R The difference between Feasibility Assessment and Contract Review Contract Review Process 2
R Review of "Key Data" for contract labs, but SOP doesn't define "key data". Problem? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
S Risk Management during Contract Review AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
V Own Brand Labeling Agreement/Contract Review ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Can anyone share Contract Review forms that I can use as record? Contract Review Process 7
S Evidence of Contract Review for External Calibration Laboratory Contract Review Process 7
R Suggestions for a practical way to manage Contract Review Contract Review Process 5
H Explaination of Launch Readiness & Contract Review and APQP Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
P Contract Employee: 3 Month Review - What to discuss? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
H Example of Contract Review for Print Industry wanted Contract Review Process 4
R Involvement of several Departments in Contract Review Process Contract Review Process 12
C Contract Review Template for an Inspection, Repair and Manufacturing Facility wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
I Supplier (Vendor) Contract Review Process Contract Review Process 11
G Audit Nonconformance - 7.2.2 - Contract Review (Review of Requirements) Contract Review Process 16
B Differentiating between "Review of Requirements" and "Contract Review" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
T Contract Review Definition in a Couple Sentences Contract Review Process 3
K AS9100:2009 Process Checklist (Contract Review) - Feedback wanted Contract Review Process 4
M Request for clarification on ISO 9001 Clause 7.2.2 (Contract Review) Contract Review Process 5
U Contract Review Process help and Software Recommendations Contract Review Process 8
V Contract Review for Repeated POs from Medical, Aerospace and Automotive Customers Contract Review Process 1
I Employment Contract Review - Categories of International Mobile Workers Contract Review Process 1
V Contract Review Process and Feasibility Analysis and Review Contract Review Process 2
S "Contract Manufacturing" - How to review the existing ISO14001 documents ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
C ISO 9001:2008 Contract Review for a business that doesn't have formal contract review Contract Review Process 11
B How to Conduct a Review of Customer Order (Contract Review)? Contract Review Process 5
M Input Request on Contract Review Procedure Contract Review Process 5
S Contract Review Procedure for a Manufacturing Business Contract Review Process 2
D Review of Contract for a Part with a Safety Characteristic Contract Review Process 4
L Contract Review Procedure for testing of samples in a laboratory Contract Review Process 3
L How often should the contract review be done? TS 16949 Contract Review Process 2
F Contract Review Frequency - Is there a need for Annual Review? Contract Review Process 11
J Contract Review - Please help me define the requirement 7.2.2 Info needed Contract Review Process 9
G Does anyone have a Contract Review Procedure I can view? Contract Review Process 5
G How can we clean up Contract Review Contract Review Process 7
G Enquiry and Contract Records - Review and Approval Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Q Contract Review? Superseding Specifications (Handling) Contract Review Process 5
N Contract Review Question - China manufacturing site to exclude 7.2.2? Contract Review Process 6
P Missing Contract Review Records on Boeing and USAir Contracts Contract Review Process 31
S Purchase Order Problems? Contract Review Issues - Sheet metal industry Contract Review Process 6
N Practically implementing ISO 9001:2000 Clause 7.2.2 Contract Review Contract Review Process 10
P Architect's Client Doesn't Know What He Wants - Contract Review Process Contract Review Process 17
N Contract Review Consolidation - Two different manufacturing sites Contract Review Process 2