Contract up in 1.5 months - How to approach my manager to discuss the future

PeterLe

Involved In Discussions
So I'm about 4.5 months into a contract and I would like to approach my manager on what their plans are for me. The contract was originally for "6 months" but it wasn't really written in the contract. More like a verbal commitment. Personally, I do like the company a lot and the team is really good. So I do enjoy working at this company and would like to stay.

My question is, how should I approach my manager? Is cold approaching with a question "Can we discuss my future here with the company?" or "Do you have sometime to talk about my performance and what I could do to improve?" and then some how throw in during that conversation that I would like to stay.

What do you think is the best approach?

Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Contract up in 1.5 months, how to approach my manager about how to discuss the fu

So I'm about 4.5 months into a contract and I would like to approach my manager on what their plans are for me. The contract was originally for "6 months" but it wasn't really written in the contract. More like a verbal commitment. Personally, I do like the company a lot and the team is really good. So I do enjoy working at this company and would like to stay.

My question is, how should I approach my manager? Is cold approaching with a question "Can we discuss my future here with the company?" or "Do you have sometime to talk about my performance and what I could do to improve?" and then some how throw in during that conversation that I would like to stay.

What do you think is the best approach?

Thank you!
If it were I, I would try to learn why the organization uses "short term" contract employees versus full-time hires.
Some possible reasons:

1. the organization staffs up for short term contracts from customers and pares staff when the contracts are not renewed
  2. the organization prefers to run "lean and mean" with no responsibility for benefits to employees, no anguish in terminating a contract employee versus terminating a full-time employee
  3. contract employees are really "probation" employees and may be asked to work full time after a "short term" view of the employee's work habits and product as well as ability to get along with staff, customers, suppliers.
Knowing the reasoning process behind an organization's use of contract workers will help the employee prepare for THE CONVERSATION where he asks for contract renewal (if there are sufficient customer orders to justify extension) or conversion to full-time.

Hope this helps put your situation in perspective.

PeterLe

Involved In Discussions
Re: Contract up in 1.5 months, how to approach my manager about how to discuss the fu

Thank you Wes for your response.

To be honest, I don't know EXACTLY why they use contract employees. For my department, there are only two contract employees (I'm one of them) and the rest are regular employees (approximately 50-75 employees). My guess is, the position I'm at is #2. My project/team needed the help so that's why my position was opened up. From what I was told about this contract, no promises are made regarding extension and I don't recall a mention at all regarding converting to a regular employee.

However, in another department an employee who's position who also had a position similar to mine did get converted to a regular employee. However he did say that his boss was pretty up front with him regarding that they would not convert him to a regular employee but under some special circumstances he eventually was hired as a regular employee. So it can happen but it's not necessarily the case for me.

Wes Bucey

you need to know the answer to a simple question:
"Do they still need YOUR help?"

PeterLe

Involved In Discussions

Thank you again!

To your answer your simple question, the answer is yes! I work in R&D and I'm in the middle of a DOE that is part of the screening process to define parameters of a design in our product. I've been working with my manager and he says that we will need to be more precise with the next steps in defining these parameters (ie more quantitative parameters).

I would think that since I've been so involved with this that it would only be logical for me to continue with this DOE. I'm also involved with other parts in R&D but for the last two months, this DOE I've been working on has been my biggest project so far.

I guess another question is, with this "conversation" how should I bring up the question of being a regular employee? Would it simply ask how would this position evolve? What are the plans for this position?

Again thank you so much for your insight. It is much appreciated!

B

BethP

I am also in a contract position. I have a check-in about once a month with my boss to 1) confirm satisfied with my work products and 2) see what is coming next. Our relationship is good, so I can be direct with questions.

In your situation, I think it is reasonable to have a conversation with your manager that starts in a similar way as your original post. Additionally, I think you should express your interest in pursuing a contract extension / full-time employment. Perhaps, you are worried that by having this conversation, you may get the answer that the contract will end at 6 months. This is better to know than to continue in ambiguity waiting for the manager to say something.

Remember: while your employment is top of mind with you, it is not top of mind with your manager. You are responsible for your career, so should be proactive and professional in getting clarity for what happens next.

Wes Bucey

I am also in a contract position. I have a check-in about once a month with my boss to 1) confirm satisfied with my work products and 2) see what is coming next. Our relationship is good, so I can be direct with questions.

In your situation, I think it is reasonable to have a conversation with your manager that starts in a similar way as your original post. Additionally, I think you should express your interest in pursuing a contract extension / full-time employment. Perhaps, you are worried that by having this conversation, you may get the answer that the contract will end at 6 months. This is better to know than to continue in ambiguity waiting for the manager to say something.

Remember: while your employment is top of mind with you, it is not top of mind with your manager. You are responsible for your career, so should be proactive and professional in getting clarity for what happens next.
Excellent response by BethP - I agree.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource

I agree with the responses so far and would add that I personally hate cold approaches. I would send an e-mail to your boss asking for a 15 minute meeting to discuss your contract. This gives him/her time to figure out what they need to find out and hopefully give you the real information.

PeterLe

Involved In Discussions
Thank for your responses! It was very much appreciated!

Update on the situation. I did talk to my manager regarding my contract about 3 weeks ago and he said he would have more clarity a week later. Well a week passed and my manager informed me that he just put in his two weeks in! He has spoken to the Director of R&D (my department) and that my manager personally gave the Director a recommendation that I stay on the project moving forward. However, they are budget issues right now and my position is in flux.

I must now speak to the Director of R&D regarding my contract. I have formulated an email and I would like to get feedback regarding the email.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject Line: Peter Le?s Future Contributions Moving Forward

Hello XXXXX,

I hope everything is going well. It has been a very busy week!

First, I would like to say thank you for giving me this wonderful opportunity to work here at XXXXX on the XXXXX project. The work has been very challenging and fulfilling, and I feel very proud to have contributed to the project.

I would like to talk to you for 15 minutes about how I can add value to the XXXX Project and my future here at XXXXX moving forward. Please let me know your availability for when we can speak.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Peter Le

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to keep it short and to the point. Let me know what you think! This forum has been so helpful. I thank everyone!

Rickser

Involved In Discussions
It is truly best to setup a meeting with your boss to discuss your situation. Let him/her know what the topic of discussion will be. Be prepared; be able to stress your strengths, your accomplishments since you've been there, what you need to get better at and how your continued employment at the company will accomplish that. Also, be ready to accept graciously that you may not be employed there in 1.5 months. That goes a long way toward a letter of recomendation. :agree:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R FCC certification (contract manufacturer) TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 1
C Contract Review with Multiple Line items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K ANVISA B-GMP Auditing requirements for Contract Manufacturers Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Contract manufacturer MDR Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Requirements and Information - Help wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
G Is ISO 9001:2015 certification worth it for a company that does only contract manufacturing? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
K Reporting a Change of Contract Manufacturer for a 510(k) cleared device Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
A What if Contract Manufacturers does not have an ISO 13485 certificate? Where will the NB audit take place, at legal mfg. site or contract mfg. site? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
Nicole Desouza Contract / Customer Order Review Checklist Needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
O Identifying KPI for AS9100 8.1.4 - Prevention of Counterfeit Parts - PCB assembly contract manufacturer AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 16
M Contract Manufacturers and MDF Responsibilities, ISO 13485:2016, Clause 4.2.3 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Medical Device Master File - We are a contract manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
D Software Validation - Contract manufacturer of Components (PCBA's) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
Ed Panek Moving from Contract Manufacturing to Production In-House ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Contract Sterilization - Our company is a contract manufacturer Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
R Contract Manufacturer/OEM Supplier - We are a specification developer for a kitted product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Legal Manufacturer FDA Reporting Obligations for Using New Contract Sterilization Site Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
L REACH Compliance - Small, family-owned contract manufacturer REACH and RoHS Conversations 16
R 21 CFR Part 820 Contract Manufacturer of Medical Device Component 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Ed Panek Bringing Production in house from Contract Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S 21 CFR 810 - Medical Device Recall Authority - Contract Manufacturing Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
U Internal auditing - Company employees or contract second party Internal Auditing 10
B Interesting Discussion The legal aspects of Customer Specific Requirements (Contract Law). IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
M ISO 80079-34 certified contract manufacturer needed Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Ed Panek Observational Audit of Contract Manufacturer Production ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Is it okay to store the design files (device drawings) at contract manufacturer location? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Contract Manufacturer of a Finished Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
supadrai Changes to QMS - Contract Term ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
G ISO 13485:2016 and regulatory requirements - Contract Manufacturing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 22
D EU MDR - Contract Manufacturer vs Legal Manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P Tactics to get cooperation from Contract Manufactuers Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
B Non Applications in ISO 13485:2016 for component contract manufacturers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C AS9100D Contract Review Contract Review Process 8
S Contract Packager or Repackager? And can client assume responsibility? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
I Certificate of Exportability - Contract manufacturer located outside the US 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J KPI's for AS9100 Cl. 8.2/8.5 - Bids/Contract Review/Order Entry AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
S Is company “A” a contract manufacturer, a labeler, or a repackager 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
W Requirements for Contract Manufacturing of a Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
N What should be included in the supply contract - Annex 2 list B IVD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Integrating a Contract Manufacturer's documentation into our Quality System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Medical Devices sourced from Contract Manufacturers - Who is the legal manufacturer? EU Medical Device Regulations 13
S Question about ISO 13485:2003 - Production Provisions - Contract Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
C AS9100 Cl. 7.2 Competency for contract workers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
S Contract Manufacturer Question - Whether or not the reference to the ex-CMO ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
L EU MDR CRO (Contract Research Organization) requirements for Clinical Investigations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Converting Manufacturing Drawings from a Contract Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Sterilization Adoption - Design House - Adoption Letter from Contract Manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Authorized (EC) Representative Contract and SOP EU Medical Device Regulations 12
J AS9102 - What needs to be Bubbled on a Contract or Purchase Order AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
Ajit Basrur Can a Contract Manufacturer Delist a Device upon Discontinuation of Manufacturing? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1