"Control" as used in 4.1 c) - Process Flow Charts (Process Sequence Chart)

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
I have a flow diagram (Process Sequence Chart) in my quality manual which shows the flow of information and material between functions (purchasing , incoming inspection, assembly, shipping, etc.). During a recent audit, there was a finding that "the chart does not clearly document the methods of control of these processes as referenced in clause 4.1" Besides showing the flow of manufacturing from customer (start) to shipping (finish), I also have another page which shows activites such as internal audits, training, corrective action, customer feedback and how it relates to each of these same functions (as stated above). What am I missing as far as 'controls'?
Besides that, where is it required that controls be documented, other than the required documented procedures referenced in the standard?

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: "Control" as used in 4.2 c)

All control means is "show how you manage the way it happens" and you don't have to do it in some chart which isn't required to begin with. Your demonstration of control is contained within the verbiage of your manual, procedures and instruction.

RCW

Okay, here is what I responded with in the Cause of the Nonconformity in my corrective action response:

- Clause 4.1 c) states to “determine criteria and methods…” but does not explicitly state to “document” the methods, especially in a chart form. Methods used to control the processes identified in the chart are defined in the quality procedures, an index of which is listed in Appendix X of the Quality Manual, document number.

The auditor's response:

Root cause insufficient with regard to specific methods used to control these processes.

This is really ticking me off! :mad:
Any suggestions on how to proceed with this??

Big Jim

Trusted Information Resource
Okay, here is what I responded with in the Cause of the Nonconformity in my corrective action response:

- Clause 4.1 c) states to “determine criteria and methods…” but does not explicitly state to “document” the methods, especially in a chart form. Methods used to control the processes identified in the chart are defined in the quality procedures, an index of which is listed in Appendix X of the Quality Manual, document number.

The auditor's response:

Root cause insufficient with regard to specific methods used to control these processes.

This is really ticking me off! :mad:
Any suggestions on how to proceed with this??
Have a talk with your CB.

The auditor seems to be making up his own rules. 4.1 does not require you to include such information in your interaction of processes description. For that matter, it does not require you to use a chart. Technically, the only requirement as far as documentation of you interaction of processes is concerned is in 4.2.2 which says that you need to describe the interaction of processes in the quality manual. 4.2.2 doesn't even require that the sequence be included in the quality manual. Obviously he is inflexible so it is time to go over his head. You did the right thing by trying to talk to him first, but his response is inappropriate.

Before doing anything else, it may help if you post exactly what he wrote on the original nonconformance so we can help you understand what the requirement actually is.

RCW

Before doing anything else, it may help if you post exactly what he wrote on the original nonconformance so we can help you understand what the requirement actually is.
4.1 The following observations are made with regard to quality management system processes:
• The Process Sequence Chart Appendix X of the Quality Manual document number does not clearly identify service as a QMS process
• The chart does not clearly document the methods of control of these processes as referenced in clause 4.1 of ISO 13485: 2003.

The first bulleted finding I can accept. Since our servicing and test/manufacturing departments are one in the same, it was an oversight in not calling out servicing. The second bulleted finding is the one this post is referring to.

qusys

4.1 The following observations are made with regard to quality management system processes:
• The Process Sequence Chart Appendix X of the Quality Manual document number does not clearly identify service as a QMS process
• The chart does not clearly document the methods of control of these processes as referenced in clause 4.1 of ISO 13485: 2003.

The first bulleted finding I can accept. Since our servicing and test/manufacturing departments are one in the same, it was an oversight in not calling out servicing. The second bulleted finding is the one this post is referring to.
Can you also atatched the chart flow so that we can see?
My guess is that the auditor found that the planned results for this process were not achieved, so that he wrote that the control criteria were not present.
I do not believe that the organization has not established them, I think you have procedures and other evidences and you can show them to him.
Explain the dynamic of the audit, if yiu really showed them to hin and showed their effectiveness. It could only be a documental issue.
Pls let us know:bigwave:

RCW

Can you also atatched the chart flow so that we can see?
I would prefer not to disclose it here.

My guess is that the auditor found that the planned results for this process were not achieved, so that he wrote that the control criteria were not present.
That could be but I doubt it. He sat at the table for two days looking at procedures and spent less than an hour actually walking the production floor and looking at output records.

I do not believe that the organization has not established them, I think you have procedures and other evidences and you can show them to him.
Explain the dynamic of the audit, if yiu really showed them to hin and showed their effectiveness. It could only be a documental issue.
Pls let us know:bigwave:
He doesn't accept how my system works as there are only two quality systems out there, his way and the wrong way. No, he didn't say that but his attitude sure projected that opinion.

Big Jim

I would prefer not to disclose it here.

That could be but I doubt it. He sat at the table for two days looking at procedures and spent less than an hour actually walking the production floor and looking at output records.

He doesn't accept how my system works as there are only two quality systems out there, his way and the wrong way. No, he didn't say that but his attitude sure projected that opinion.
When you talk to your CB, let them know the the auditor spent nearly all his time in the conference room. They won't like that.

J

JaneB

He sat at the table for two days looking at procedures and spent less than an hour actually walking the production floor and looking at output records.

That's unacceptable from many points of view.

No auditor can make up their own rules - from what you say in other posts, it sure sounds like he is.

I'd take it up with the CB - get on to his boss or your client contact and request a change of auditor and explain why. Be polite, factual and objective. Don't worry that it will 'count against' you. It won't.

You neither want or need an auditor who spends 2 days at a table reading procedures and less than an hour actually looking!! That's quite appalling. I had an auditor in a client site once who did something not unlike that - I took it straight back to the CB and said 'not again'.

I also refused to accept the audit report, because it couldn't be valid. I told them I would only do that IF they (in their office) verified it by reviewing which particular samples and evidence the auditor had actually examined - because he spent about 30 mins in the client's workshop (a 1-day audit). They withdrew it.

Really - this kind of auditor needs recalibrating, retraining or redirecting. Don't put up with it.

LUV-d-4UM

Thank you. TS and ISO audit has become a stressful experience because, the audits seems to make their own rules. They do not like our documentation and it turns out to be a negotiation experience.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Different Standard Deviations used in Control Charting Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S used excel formula calculated the ARL's with Rule1&Rule2 for Shewhart control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
Q Control of Standard Operating Manuals used as Reference AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
Q How to Control Forms used across Multiple Sites Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
M Has anyone used "Paradigm 3" software to Control their Quality or Management System? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
E Could a BBS (internal forum like phpBB) be used as a Document Control System? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J What Control Chart should be used for Microbial Limit (NMT 100 cfu/m3) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
O Methods used to Control Outsourced Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
N How do you control weblinks used for external document requirements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Labels - How do you control the number of product labels printed, scrapped and used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M 21 CFR Part 11 & Control of Raw Data Records used as input into Validated Spreadsheet Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
D Control of Fixtures used during Machining ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Operator understanding of what Control Plans are and how they are used Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
T What is Average Run Length & Average Production Length when used in Control Charts? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
A Dynamic Control Plan used by Ford Powertrain division APQP and PPAP 5
S Are 'Standard Work Documents' used by "All" who implemented LEAN & Control Needed? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 33
I Can Change Control be used to Control Major Infrastructural Projects? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T Has anyone heard of or used ITAZ doQuments for document control? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Acceptance sampling should never be used for processes in statistical control Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Electronic Forms control - Making sure the most current version of a form was used Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
B Can Training be used as Preventative Control on FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 10
J ISO 9001:2000 - 4.2.3 Control of Documents - Used to be document and data control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Document Control Matrix - Will it ever be used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
H 4.16 File Index per department? List used as the Record Control List (4.16)? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A Beginners help with ISO3951-2 Combined control s-method n>5 what is Phi ?? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B Control chart and sample time Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
DuncanGibbons Manufacturing Plan vs Material Specification vs Control Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Control chart for huge sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
K Contamination Control - Class Is medical devices (Clause 6.4.2 ISO 13485:2016 (E)) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
J 510(k) for a control kit for an external IVD test kit 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Assessing Hazard-Related Use Scenarios where control measures exist through standards IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 14
adir88 Documenting Risk Control Option Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
T Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
L AS5553 Clause 3.1.7 e "Control packaging material ..................reused" AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
S Should safety checks be included in the Control Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Infrastructure: Equipment, Work Environment and Contamination Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q Relabeler for patent expired product - design control responsibilities? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J How to make Quality Control plans Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
D Supplied Product on Control Plan - Lot ranging in 40,000 pcs per product FMEA and Control Plans 3
D IEC 62304 Risk Classification - With and without hardware control IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
J Antiviral Mask or Mask to Mitigate or Control Corona Virus Manufacturing and Related Processes 22
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2