Control chart and sample time

Hello,
I try to understand the relation between average run length and sample time of an quality control chart.

I think about the following problem:
I should choose an exponentially weighted control chart with a predefined weighting factor. In the fault free case there should be an average run length of e.g. 371. Now there is a shift in mean which can be detected after e.g. 200 samples. This means, after 200 minutes (with sampling time of 1 minute) the fault will be detected.
So far so good.
My Signal recorded originally with a sample time of 1 second. If I use a sample time of 1 second, the fault will be detected after 200 seconds?
Is it allowed to reduce the sample time to 1 second?

Thanks for Help, Ben

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Usually we talk of average run length based upon the measurements made. Such as I may measure each item produced. However, you have thrown in two factors I would need to know about:
1. You talk of measuring something every time interval. Is this a continuous process and I am measuring something like pH or temperature at certain time increments?
2. You mention an exponentially weighted control chart. That throws in a complication in terms of average run length.

I will say I distrust the exponential weighting, and there are better answers in terms of using a suite of trend rules. For example, the writeup at
6.3.2.4. EWMA Control Charts

states "By the choice of weighting factor, λ, the EWMA control procedure can be made sensitive to a small or gradual drift in the process, whereas the Shewhart control procedure can only react when the last data point is outside a control limit. " Whereas very few applications of SPC utilize ONLY the rule of a single point outside the control limit.

I do not understand your statement: "Now there is a shift in mean which can be detected after e.g. 200 samples." Is this referring to a shift in the process you know about? The average run length relates to detecting a signal when there is no change to the process. what is average run length | WinSPC.com It is related to the alpha error - the false alarm rate.

So if a process is indeed stable, and results are independent from time interval to time interval (regardless of the length of time), and we are not including EWMA, then the average run length has the same meaning whether the samples are 1 second apart or 1 hour apart.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Control chart for huge sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
T Control Chart to use when Sample Size is Constant Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
T Which control chart for incoming (receiving) inspection - Sample size of 10 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
A Control Chart and Limits For Large Sample Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0
M What is "setup control chart"? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Redesigning our process flow chart, PFMEA and Control Plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
D Control chart applicable? Percentage of compliance with a standard Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
B How to do a control chart - Machining product that requires flatness control Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
S Understanding control chart and measurement capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
F Appropriate Control Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S used excel formula calculated the ARL's with Rule1&Rule2 for Shewhart control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
H How to define Root Cause when some points are out of control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
L The ARL for an X bar Control Chart (n = 5) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
L P-Chart Control Limit Calculation help Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L A Complete Control Chart Decision Tree Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Variation Study on Mined Material - What do you call it (not a control chart) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
G I-Chart and X bar Chart Control limits Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Regression Control Chart - Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
J Control Chart Pattern Detection Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
R Control Chart Constants and Confidence Interval Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
P Specification and Tolerance in Stability Control Chart Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
I What is an "X-Rs" Control Chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
I What is an Ideal Control Chart for Hospital Surgery Infections? FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Shewhart Control Chart for SPC In Excel - Explain the yellow and red marked column Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
K Advice on Calculating Control Chart Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
J Statistical Significance and SPC Control Chart Reports Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
P SPC Data Collection and Control Chart Type question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R XBar & R Chart Spreadsheet to apply a Control Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Chennaiite Control Chart for Non-Manufacturing Process Indicators - Is it worth? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
O Is it an Assignable Cause only if the Control Chart says so? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
C Control Chart Roadmap Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
T Shewhart Control Chart - ISO/TS 13530:2009(E), Page 22. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M MSA (Measurement System Analysis) - Do we have control of all states in the chart? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
H Control Chart applications in Cement Industries Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T Implementing SPC - Control Chart for Individual Measurements Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
R "Control" as used in 4.1 c) - Process Flow Charts (Process Sequence Chart) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Control Chart for Mortality Rate on Broiler Farms Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
G Control Chart Selection for Crimping Operations for RJ 45 Plugs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
K When to create a new Control Chart? Quick question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
T Control Chart - Salt Spray Test Hours - Powder Coated Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Calculation of Upper and Lower Control Limits for Control Chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
R Control Chart Metrics/KPI - Measuring Effectiveness of Control Charting System Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
L Measurement Uncertainty using Control Chart Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
R Calculation Mean for Control Chart -X Double Bar Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
J What Control Chart should be used for Microbial Limit (NMT 100 cfu/m3) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
B Color Individual Points on a Control Chart? Using Minitab Software 7
A Organization Chart Control and Quality Manual Integration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
S Pre-Control Chart for Single Side Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1