Control chart for huge sample size

I have to design a control chart based on an article of samples with size 500 each (generated from random observations with mean=0 and std=1). My main issue is that I'm unable to obtain the desired ARL out of control for different mean shifts (0.2,0.4,0.6,0.8...) because my standard deviation is so small (about 0.003). My out of control ARL for a 0.2 mean shift is 1 instead of about 180 in the article. I designed both an I-MR, xbar-R and also xbar-S for the same samples but the outcome is the same. Can someone give me a hint of what could probably be wrong in my design please? thanks
[Moderator note: A copyrighted attachment was removed.}

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave: I removed your attachment because it's copyright-protected. We don't share copyrighted materials here. Also, I moved your post to a more appropriate forum so that it will get better focus and attention.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Is this a class assignment, or for theoretical understanding? From a practical perspective, why would you want to create such a chart? There is an adage that goes: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
We have to adapt it to a practical situation and provide improvement measures
From a practical perspective, why would you want to create such a chart? There is an adage that goes: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Again, why would you want to do this? Shewhart control charts were designed and intended to gain the maximum information on the process stability from small subgroup sizes. By using "huge" subgroup sizes, you are throwing away most of the advantages of the tool.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
We have to adapt it to a practical situation and provide improvement measures
You still have not answered the question. SPC works because it is an empirical methodology, as stated by Dr. Shewhard and Dr. Deming and others. Neither fretted about ARL. And ARL only deals with alpha error - false alarms. The failure to detect beta error gets left in the dust. Thus you may be trying to control the false alarm rate and inadvertently end up removing the ability to detect a trend. Rather like pulling the batteries from your household smoke detector in order to eliminate false alarms.

I will agree with Miner that you are losing a lot of information by taking groups of 500, but if it is important to do so in order to trend such an average, there is no reason the control chart would not work. It is just highly likely that you can have individual results in the 500 that are unusual and will be missed on the Xbar chart and likely the Range (though it the individual result is far enough out, it should pick it up).

Last edited:

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
On a separate note, you state that you created random data set with mean of 0 and and a standard deviation of 1. Then you say you your SD is .003, can you explain that?

Also, a randomly generated distribution will b eperfectly homogenous and so it doesn’t match the example from the paper you originally posted...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Control chart and sample time Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
M What is "setup control chart"? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Redesigning our process flow chart, PFMEA and Control Plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
D Control chart applicable? Percentage of compliance with a standard Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
B How to do a control chart - Machining product that requires flatness control Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
S Understanding control chart and measurement capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
F Appropriate Control Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S used excel formula calculated the ARL's with Rule1&Rule2 for Shewhart control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
H How to define Root Cause when some points are out of control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
L The ARL for an X bar Control Chart (n = 5) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
L P-Chart Control Limit Calculation help Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L A Complete Control Chart Decision Tree Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Variation Study on Mined Material - What do you call it (not a control chart) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
G I-Chart and X bar Chart Control limits Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Regression Control Chart - Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
J Control Chart Pattern Detection Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
R Control Chart Constants and Confidence Interval Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
P Specification and Tolerance in Stability Control Chart Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
I What is an "X-Rs" Control Chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
I What is an Ideal Control Chart for Hospital Surgery Infections? FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Shewhart Control Chart for SPC In Excel - Explain the yellow and red marked column Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
K Advice on Calculating Control Chart Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
J Statistical Significance and SPC Control Chart Reports Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
P SPC Data Collection and Control Chart Type question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R XBar & R Chart Spreadsheet to apply a Control Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Chennaiite Control Chart for Non-Manufacturing Process Indicators - Is it worth? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
O Is it an Assignable Cause only if the Control Chart says so? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
C Control Chart Roadmap Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
T Shewhart Control Chart - ISO/TS 13530:2009(E), Page 22. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M MSA (Measurement System Analysis) - Do we have control of all states in the chart? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
H Control Chart applications in Cement Industries Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T Implementing SPC - Control Chart for Individual Measurements Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
R "Control" as used in 4.1 c) - Process Flow Charts (Process Sequence Chart) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Control Chart for Mortality Rate on Broiler Farms Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
G Control Chart Selection for Crimping Operations for RJ 45 Plugs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
K When to create a new Control Chart? Quick question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
T Control Chart - Salt Spray Test Hours - Powder Coated Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Calculation of Upper and Lower Control Limits for Control Chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
R Control Chart Metrics/KPI - Measuring Effectiveness of Control Charting System Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
L Measurement Uncertainty using Control Chart Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
R Calculation Mean for Control Chart -X Double Bar Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
J What Control Chart should be used for Microbial Limit (NMT 100 cfu/m3) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
B Color Individual Points on a Control Chart? Using Minitab Software 7
A Organization Chart Control and Quality Manual Integration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
S Pre-Control Chart for Single Side Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
T Control Chart to use when Sample Size is Constant Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
C Process Control Chart - Capable, but not stable question Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
N Variable Control Limits Calculation - P Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Please explain what formula is correct for "Mean and Range Control Chart" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1