Control Chart Metrics/KPI - Measuring Effectiveness of Control Charting System

reynald

Quite Involved in Discussions
I searched but did not find a similar thread so I guess I'll just open a new one for discussion.

I wonder how you guys measure the effectiveness or success of your control charting system. Personally I use:
--%False Alarms
--Issue capture rate
--run length before detection
--% OOC closure and Turn-around time.

I havent been able to find a good reference textbook so these metrics are more of personal opinions developed over the years.
Is there a more "standard" way to measure the value-add of control charts which are presentable/understable for management levels? How does Shewhart/Deming measure its success?

Looking forward for comments.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
I searched but did not find a similar thread so I guess I'll just open a new one for discussion.

I wonder how you guys measure the effectiveness or success of your control charting system. Personally I use:
--%False Alarms
--Issue capture rate
--run length before detection
--% OOC closure and Turn-around time.

I haven't been able to find a good reference textbook so these metrics are more of personal opinions developed over the years.
Is there a more "standard" way to measure the value-add of control charts which are presentable/understandable for management levels? How does Shewhart/Deming measure its success?

Looking forward for comments.
Comments anyone?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
I use three measures:

My "chart of charts" (how many charts and files produced per month)
Turnaround time on special requests
Attendance at training classes.

Although simple and good for a good joke (I make 3,000 charts a month including the chart of how many charts I make) I actually have found it a good systematic indicator of how williing management is to learn. In the reign of one CEO at Hanford, the chart requests dropped off significantly due to fear - didn't want to know. They shot through the roof during the reign of the next CEO.

reynald

Quite Involved in Discussions
I use three measures:

My "chart of charts" (how many charts and files produced per month)
Turnaround time on special requests
Attendance at training classes.

Although simple and good for a good joke (I make 3,000 charts a month including the chart of how many charts I make) I actually have found it a good systematic indicator of how williing management is to learn. In the reign of one CEO at Hanford, the chart requests dropped off significantly due to fear - didn't want to know. They shot through the roof during the reign of the next CEO.
Steve,
Do you partly "own" these charts, meaning you too check on the OOC's? Also what are the criteria you and the owners use to decide on "dropping" some of the charts?

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
I doubt if you will find a textbook answer for this question, as the true answer is "it depends". But, you already knew that....

If this activity is to show management the effectiveness of an SPC system, you need to express in data how it meets its goals. What are the goals? In many ways it is like insurance, you invest resources into it hoping nothing is noticed in the end - as we typically only notice bad things, and SPC is supposed to prevent that. You don't notice good things - they are the basic expectation. So, less is better, and that is a tough sell - it will need to be sold clearly with the data.

So the metrics you considered may be interesting analysis, but may not show progress to goals - or, in terms of charting, the inverse: out of control conditions.

I don't have the answer here - just more questions that you may consider to lead to an answer. Control chart system metrics are best prepared with data that is common to all charts. Run length before detection, for example - may not be data that can be normalized to be able to compare a variety of charts apples to apples. Again, these are not observations, because I am not there, just considerations.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Control chart and sample time Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Control chart for huge sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M What is "setup control chart"? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Redesigning our process flow chart, PFMEA and Control Plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
D Control chart applicable? Percentage of compliance with a standard Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
B How to do a control chart - Machining product that requires flatness control Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
S Understanding control chart and measurement capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
F Appropriate Control Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S used excel formula calculated the ARL's with Rule1&Rule2 for Shewhart control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
H How to define Root Cause when some points are out of control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
L The ARL for an X bar Control Chart (n = 5) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
L P-Chart Control Limit Calculation help Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L A Complete Control Chart Decision Tree Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Variation Study on Mined Material - What do you call it (not a control chart) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
G I-Chart and X bar Chart Control limits Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Regression Control Chart - Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
J Control Chart Pattern Detection Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
R Control Chart Constants and Confidence Interval Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
P Specification and Tolerance in Stability Control Chart Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
I What is an "X-Rs" Control Chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
I What is an Ideal Control Chart for Hospital Surgery Infections? FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Shewhart Control Chart for SPC In Excel - Explain the yellow and red marked column Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
K Advice on Calculating Control Chart Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
J Statistical Significance and SPC Control Chart Reports Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
P SPC Data Collection and Control Chart Type question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R XBar & R Chart Spreadsheet to apply a Control Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Chennaiite Control Chart for Non-Manufacturing Process Indicators - Is it worth? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
O Is it an Assignable Cause only if the Control Chart says so? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
C Control Chart Roadmap Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
T Shewhart Control Chart - ISO/TS 13530:2009(E), Page 22. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M MSA (Measurement System Analysis) - Do we have control of all states in the chart? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
H Control Chart applications in Cement Industries Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T Implementing SPC - Control Chart for Individual Measurements Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
R "Control" as used in 4.1 c) - Process Flow Charts (Process Sequence Chart) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Control Chart for Mortality Rate on Broiler Farms Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
G Control Chart Selection for Crimping Operations for RJ 45 Plugs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
K When to create a new Control Chart? Quick question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
T Control Chart - Salt Spray Test Hours - Powder Coated Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Calculation of Upper and Lower Control Limits for Control Chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
L Measurement Uncertainty using Control Chart Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
R Calculation Mean for Control Chart -X Double Bar Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
J What Control Chart should be used for Microbial Limit (NMT 100 cfu/m3) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
B Color Individual Points on a Control Chart? Using Minitab Software 7
A Organization Chart Control and Quality Manual Integration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
S Pre-Control Chart for Single Side Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
T Control Chart to use when Sample Size is Constant Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
C Process Control Chart - Capable, but not stable question Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
N Variable Control Limits Calculation - P Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Please explain what formula is correct for "Mean and Range Control Chart" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1