Control chart selection of multiple batches review

Hi All,

I recently face an annual quality review for all the batches we manufactured for each plastic component. For each batch, the sampling plan is 1pc every 8 hours.
In regularly, we will look into I-MR chart for each batch to see is there any out of trend, ppk and etc. The reason why choosing I-MR chart is that the subgroup of our sample plan is 1. In the annual review we want to see the process capability across multiple batches, which we will review the Ppk and trends of control chart.

The question here is that, should I use Xbar-R chart or Xbar-S chart instead of I-MR chart? The reason behind this is that I assume the condition is the same per batch.
Or it is still recommended to use I-MR chart to look into every sampling measurement across batches?

Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Personally, I prefer the I-MR chart for what you are doing. True, the Xbar-R or Xbar-S may be technically better, especially for trending the standard deviation, but are much harder to explain to managers, and also invoke a time delay of gathering the 4 or 5 sequential results into the Xbar.

By the way, Dr. Wheeler (author of lots of SPC books) advocates the I-mR. As an example, see Microsoft Word - The Chart For Individual Values.doc (scrummaster.dk).

@Steve Prevette Thanks for your reply! After I read Dr.Wheeler's article in your reply, I can understand what should we need to pay attention when using I-mR chart. I also have another question to ask about:

If the subgroup size is larger than 1 (e.g. 3 samples / 4 hr), is I-mR chart still suitable for this sampling plan to represent process capability? I read some resource and material that recommend to choose Xbar-R when subgroup is between 2-9. In my opinion, I would expect mR chart lose its function when subgroup is large than 1.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Process capability can still be calculated from the I-mR chart. The mR chart provides the estimate of the standard deviation (2.66 times the average moving range is three standard deviations, so 2.66 divided by 3 times the average moving range is the standard deviation estimate). In fact, you can find the 2.66/3 number on the Xbar-R tables. I would not hesitate to use the I-mR for process capability.

If you do decide to go to xbar-R (with traditionally the subgroup size is 4 or 5 unless you have a "rational subgrouping" reason to do otherwise) you simply use the Range chart there to get the standard deviation for the capability calculations. You customer or other regulatory reasons my call for Xbar-R where you may choose to go there. But in effect, an I-mR is indeed using the same underlying theory as the Xbar-R.

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
Instead of starting with your math, I would start by asking about your sampling plan. How did you decide on 1 piece every 8 hours? I gather that 8 hours is probably a work shift. But a lot can change in 8-hours! In the ImR article @Steve Prevette linked is the caveat: "the fact that we are going to compute limits using successive differences means that successive values must be logically comparable. That is, under the conditions expected to prevail when the process is operated predictably, successive values should differ only by what amounts to routine variation."

Part of the wisdom of X-bar charts is the idea of rational subgroups. You said you manufacture plastic components, but you didn't offer any details about your sources of variation. I will assume injection molding, because I have some experience in that department. If you have a multi-cavity mold (let's say 4 cavities for illustration), it may make sense to measure and chart the average of 4 parts from a single shot and call that a subgroup in an X-bar chart. What you know about the 4 pieces molded in a single shot is they all come from a homogeneous sample of material, molded under the same pressure and environmental conditions. Cavity 1 might be consistently bigger than cavity 4 in every shot, but by calling 4 pieces from a single shot a subgroup, cavity-to-cavity variation will be captured in subgroup ranges. If instead you measure individual parts from a 4-cavity mold (chosen at random) for an ImR chart, then cavity-to-cavity variation will be lumped in with shot-to-shot variability, which inflates your standard deviation over time, which reduces your process capability.

Maybe you use single-cavity molds, so my previous example doesn't apply to you. If you have 4 machines with single-cavity molds, and you sample randomly from the combined output of the 4 machines, that arrangement can have a similar effect. Machine-to-machine variation will be lumped in with variability over time, which makes your process appear less capable. It would be better to sample and chart the 4 machines separately for a more accurate picture of process capability, with the added benefit to identify any one machine which behaves differently from the others. But if you sample from the 4 machines at the same time and call that a subgroup for the purpose of a single X-bar chart, machine-to-machine variation will be captured in the within-subgroup variation and not appear in the subgroup-to-subgroup variability, like it will with an ImR chart.

So there are reasons why some people choose X-bar/R charts. It depends on your manufacturing process and your purpose for charting. It is always wise to think about and seek to understand your sources of variation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Control Chart Selection for Crimping Operations for RJ 45 Plugs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Linking control chart with control plan Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
Nihls Quality Control (stability) Chart for CMM's - How the control limits are to be calculated Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
A Fabric roll inspection - What type of Control Chart to use? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0
B Control chart and sample time Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Control chart for huge sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M What is "setup control chart"? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Redesigning our process flow chart, PFMEA and Control Plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
D Control chart applicable? Percentage of compliance with a standard Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
B How to do a control chart - Machining product that requires flatness control Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
S Understanding control chart and measurement capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
F Appropriate Control Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S used excel formula calculated the ARL's with Rule1&Rule2 for Shewhart control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
H How to define Root Cause when some points are out of control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
L The ARL for an X bar Control Chart (n = 5) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
L P-Chart Control Limit Calculation help Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L A Complete Control Chart Decision Tree Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Variation Study on Mined Material - What do you call it (not a control chart) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
G I-Chart and X bar Chart Control limits Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Regression Control Chart - Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
J Control Chart Pattern Detection Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
R Control Chart Constants and Confidence Interval Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
P Specification and Tolerance in Stability Control Chart Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
I What is an "X-Rs" Control Chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
I What is an Ideal Control Chart for Hospital Surgery Infections? FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Shewhart Control Chart for SPC In Excel - Explain the yellow and red marked column Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
K Advice on Calculating Control Chart Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
J Statistical Significance and SPC Control Chart Reports Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
P SPC Data Collection and Control Chart Type question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R XBar & R Chart Spreadsheet to apply a Control Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Chennaiite Control Chart for Non-Manufacturing Process Indicators - Is it worth? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
O Is it an Assignable Cause only if the Control Chart says so? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
C Control Chart Roadmap Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
T Shewhart Control Chart - ISO/TS 13530:2009(E), Page 22. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M MSA (Measurement System Analysis) - Do we have control of all states in the chart? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
H Control Chart applications in Cement Industries Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T Implementing SPC - Control Chart for Individual Measurements Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
R "Control" as used in 4.1 c) - Process Flow Charts (Process Sequence Chart) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Control Chart for Mortality Rate on Broiler Farms Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
K When to create a new Control Chart? Quick question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
T Control Chart - Salt Spray Test Hours - Powder Coated Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Calculation of Upper and Lower Control Limits for Control Chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
R Control Chart Metrics/KPI - Measuring Effectiveness of Control Charting System Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
L Measurement Uncertainty using Control Chart Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
R Calculation Mean for Control Chart -X Double Bar Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
J What Control Chart should be used for Microbial Limit (NMT 100 cfu/m3) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
B Color Individual Points on a Control Chart? Using Minitab Software 7
A Organization Chart Control and Quality Manual Integration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15