Control Chart to Track Effectiveness of Actions to Reduce Scrap Rate

abhipatel

Involved In Discussions
Hi

Need to plot some data and form a control plan based on them.

Data is weekly in form of scrap value ($ amount), revenue generated ($ amount) and allowable scrap rate (again $ value calculated based on the revenue generated) and target scrap rate ($ value).

Can I use an attribute chart (p or np) or since it is $ value have to go with continuous charts like X-MR?

I want to track effectiveness of some action items based on some implementations to reduce scrap rate. Could I possibly convert the $ value into some fractions and use it to plot an attribute chart?

Kindly suggest.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Re: Control Chart

I normally would always recommend a variables control chart over an attribute control chart. However, this makes an exception.

I foresee a problem if you use $s in a variables control chart. Presumably you have a variety of product with differing values, particularly if it is scrapped at differing stages of assembly/processing. Changes in mix would result in spurious trends, runs, etc. in a control chart based on $s.

Given the options that you stated, I recommend an attributes control chart. You can use a p chart for tracking defectives, or a c chart for defects when the samples size varies. np charts would work for defectives if the sample size is constant.

Do you have an analysis of what defects are responsible for your scrap. Can you determine the cause of your scrap and monitor the cause(s) using a variables control chart?

abhipatel

Involved In Discussions
Re: Control Chart

Thanks

I want to monitor the trends of the scrap rates...the issue is that it is not very simple to plot attribute charts for my scrap data as the causes are numerous.

If I wanted to make a conclusion that the $ value of scrap has reduced indicating that my implementations were effective can I? sounds pretty vague but I do not have some attribute data like defects and defectives to be able to plot a p,c or np chart?

Are there any other ways wherein I can track scrap rate? Any examples probably? I could monitor by saying I had 5 scrap boards this week out of 100 shipped (proportion defective) and next week maybe 3 out of 100...but this might mislead as the 3 boards scrapped might have a higher dollar value and be more bad for the company (do not want to show I made an improved in proportion defective and my manager throwing it back on my face :lmao:).

Thanks

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
There are no technical issues with running a variable control chart on $ values, but you will have the opposite problem. Did the scrap rate decrease from a process improvement or only from a change in mix to lower value product?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
there are many issues with control charts for dollars most of which Miner has already articulated. The main one however, is that $ is not directly actionable.

However, I understand the desire to track $. What I do is to have an X, MR chart on the $ - nothing fancy. Be aware - and take the time to educate your audience that there will be false alarms on the $ chart due to the nature of dollar values. I also have a series of drill down charts that are actionable:
a pareto by $ value of the product numbers that are scrapped and a pareto of failure modes accompanied by trends (c chart or p chart) for the top 5 items. This is actionable.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
I see a couple problems with the notion of variable control chart methodology. First, what is the "state of control" or "random noise" of common causes that affect every transaction ($) that you can never remove without a process change. That is what you would define your control limits upon (based on the assumptions for a valid charting methodology). If you can not determine that, you are probably not far enough along in your issue analysis to employ a control chart. Can you even do a precontrol chart? Something to ponder....depending on the data you have so far. You have your dependent variable - what independent variables are you "adjusting" to control the dependent variable? Is it a handful - or really a list of them? Either way - which have the most impact? Do you need a DOE?

I would do the Pareto chart technique for starters, and monitor the effects of your efforts on eliminating those issues one by one.

P

prototyper

If you measure scrap rates using purely $ values it is difficult to determine trends as, if the throughput varies from week to week or month to month, it can have a distorting effect on these values.
I have always monitored scrap rates as a percentage of sales. This way you have a direct comparison irrespective of volume drops, holidays, major disruptions, etc. and trends are more apparent.
The reasons for the scrap can be monitored and actions targeted by simple pareto.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Doubt about the correct control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
Z Change color or shape of individual data point in control chart Using Minitab Software 6
C Elaborating a control chart with skewed data Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D Control chart selection of multiple batches review Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S Linking control chart with control plan Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
Nihls Quality Control (stability) Chart for CMM's - How the control limits are to be calculated Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
A Fabric roll inspection - What type of Control Chart to use? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0
B Control chart and sample time Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Control chart for huge sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M What is "setup control chart"? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Redesigning our process flow chart, PFMEA and Control Plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
D Control chart applicable? Percentage of compliance with a standard Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
B How to do a control chart - Machining product that requires flatness control Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
S Understanding control chart and measurement capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
F Appropriate Control Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S used excel formula calculated the ARL's with Rule1&Rule2 for Shewhart control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
H How to define Root Cause when some points are out of control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
L The ARL for an X bar Control Chart (n = 5) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
L P-Chart Control Limit Calculation help Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L A Complete Control Chart Decision Tree Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Variation Study on Mined Material - What do you call it (not a control chart) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
G I-Chart and X bar Chart Control limits Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Regression Control Chart - Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
J Control Chart Pattern Detection Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
R Control Chart Constants and Confidence Interval Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
P Specification and Tolerance in Stability Control Chart Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
I What is an "X-Rs" Control Chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
I What is an Ideal Control Chart for Hospital Surgery Infections? FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Shewhart Control Chart for SPC In Excel - Explain the yellow and red marked column Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
K Advice on Calculating Control Chart Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
J Statistical Significance and SPC Control Chart Reports Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
P SPC Data Collection and Control Chart Type question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R XBar & R Chart Spreadsheet to apply a Control Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Chennaiite Control Chart for Non-Manufacturing Process Indicators - Is it worth? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
O Is it an Assignable Cause only if the Control Chart says so? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
C Control Chart Roadmap Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
T Shewhart Control Chart - ISO/TS 13530:2009(E), Page 22. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M MSA (Measurement System Analysis) - Do we have control of all states in the chart? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
H Control Chart applications in Cement Industries Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T Implementing SPC - Control Chart for Individual Measurements Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
R "Control" as used in 4.1 c) - Process Flow Charts (Process Sequence Chart) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Control Chart for Mortality Rate on Broiler Farms Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
G Control Chart Selection for Crimping Operations for RJ 45 Plugs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
K When to create a new Control Chart? Quick question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
T Control Chart - Salt Spray Test Hours - Powder Coated Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Calculation of Upper and Lower Control Limits for Control Chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
R Control Chart Metrics/KPI - Measuring Effectiveness of Control Charting System Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
L Measurement Uncertainty using Control Chart Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2