Control charts for non-normal distributions - Do I need to do anything special?

D

davis007

Do I need to do anything special if my process variability is not normaly distributed. What I mean is should the control limits and or test for out of control points be calculated differntly?

We have gone through many iterations to identify and remove special causes from our process. But still I get a high number of out of control points when I control chart the process. When I look at a histogram of the data it seems that the distribution is not normal but much higher in the center with long thin tails at both ends. (I cant remember what this is called at this time.) I think the data in the tails pops up as out of control points (+/- >3 sigma) when I control chart the data. However we can find no "cause" for the out of control points. Am I wasting my time trying to set up a control chart for the process at all? We do on occasion find causes for some of the more severe out of control points, but these are also out of spec points and we would have looked at the process in depth even without the control chart.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
davis007 said:
Do I need to do anything special if my process variability is not normaly distributed. What I mean is should the control limits and or test for out of control points be calculated differntly?

We have gone through many iterations to identify and remove special causes from our process. But still I get a high number of out of control points when I control chart the process. When I look at a histogram of the data it seems that the distribution is not normal but much higher in the center with long thin tails at both ends. (I cant remember what this is called at this time.) I think the data in the tails pops up as out of control points (+/- >3 sigma) when I control chart the data. However we can find no "cause" for the out of control points. Am I wasting my time trying to set up a control chart for the process at all? We do on occasion find causes for some of the more severe out of control points, but these are also out of spec points and we would have looked at the process in depth even without the control chart.
Control Charts were set up by Dr. Shewhart to be distribution free. They work off the Tchebychev Inequality and the Camp-Meidel extension rather than the normal distribution.

Yes, bigger tails will make it slightly more likely to be outside the control limits (say 3 to 5% instead of the assumed 0.3% based upon the normal). So there can be false alarms. I would say since you are having a noticeable frequency of out of specification points it would be worth reviewing your Out of Control points. Are you only seeing outside the CL's, or are you also seeing patterns like 7 in a row the same side of the average?

One thing that you could do is accumulate all of the OOC data in one file and run analysis against other variables and see if there are differences between that data set and simlar distributions from the in control data.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
davis007 said:

The shape parameter that you are describing is Kurtosis. The Normal distibution has a kurtosis-excess of 0. Your process sounds leptokurtic (high middle with long tails), which will have a positive kurtosis-excess. A platykurtic distibution (flatttened) will have a negative kurtosis-excess. (Caution: Kurtosis of a normal distribution is 3. Minitab use Kurtosis-excess which is Kurtosis - 3, yet labels it as Kurtosis.)

What type of control chart are you using?

Xbar control charts should normalize non-normal data. However, IMR charts will not normalize the data. If you are using IMR charts, you may try an Xbar chart as a potential solution.

D

davis007

Stratification

Steve:

Thanks for your reply. I have run each suggested test avaliable in Minitab. Tests that look for one or a series of points beyond a given sigma from the center find a lot of out of control points. Test for hugging the center, alternating data or a string of increasing or decreasing values find few if any out of control points.

I have noticed that the data does seem to be runs of data above and then below the center line, BUT even these runs in general have points that are on the other side of the center line. At first I thought that these "shifts" might be related to raw material changes, operator changes or points where the equipment was stopped for a repair or some other reason. However, none of these hypothises have paned out. Often the shift semmingly appears in the middle of a run with no change in material, operator or anything else as far as I can tell.

This is really buging me as I have been trying to figure this out for months now without success. The process is out of control, but 99% of the product we produce is in spec. I am starting to feel that I am wasting time with this line of analysis.

D

davis007

X-bar vs. Individuals

Miner:

Thanks for the reply. I am using an X-bar chart. I have two possible sub groups both are in time order. I can group by drum or lot. Each drum is tested in two locations thus I have exactly data points per drum. A lot is typically, but not always, 6 drums of product thus I typically have 12 data points per lot. Changing the groups from drum to lot does smooth out the data a bit but the issue I am having is the same in both cases. On thing that is also interesting is that I did an idividuals plot in minitab grouped by lot. When ploted this way the diferences from lot to lot become much harder to see. My guess is that if I was doing an ANOVA type of analysis I would be hard pressed to find real differences between most lots. As I have ~270 lots I have not tried this.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
davis007 said:
This is really buging me as I have been trying to figure this out for months now without success. The process is out of control, but 99% of the product we produce is in spec. I am starting to feel that I am wasting time with this line of analysis.
If you are running only 1% out of specification, I suspect you are running about 3% to 5% outside the control limits? If that is so, you may indeed be just getting false alarms. If the percent not meeting specification is in control (suggest trying a p-chart on that), and you can live with that rate, then perhaps it is unnecessary to chase every point that crosses the control limits.

I would myself probably keep monitoring the control chart, and put a p-chart in place on the specification limits. I'd still look to see in a low-key manner if anything could be found when a CL was crossed, but wouldn't get too spun up unless I got two in a row perhaps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Control charts for attributes: is this possible on a non automated job? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
D Control Charts for Non-Normal Distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
PQ Systems Understanding Capability and Control Charts Series Using SQCpack Software 0
PQ Systems Control Charts & Capability Analysis 101 Using SQCpack Software 0
D How to calculate the A4 constants in Median/Range control charts? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S Use of Attributes Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
U Electronic templates for making paper control charts Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
Rameshwar25 Other types of Control Charts described in Chapter II of SPC Manual Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S Standard Deviation Selection on Control Charts - Minitab "pooled deviation" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
N Injection Molding - Median individual control charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Chennaiite Do Attribute Control Charts really help? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
B Setting Lower Control Limit on Attributes Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M Interpreting X bar and R Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M Large Sample Size - up to 32 - for Control Charts Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
T Is the use of Control Charts Mandatory or Optional? ISO 17025 Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
E Minitab for hourly patient census - Control Charts Using Minitab Software 6
J Using P-Charts for Glass Manufacturing to Monitor and Control Attributes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M On Subgroups in Control Charts and Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Help with Table of Constants and Formulas for Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
Q Monthly Data Review through Control Charts - Monitoring Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R "Control" as used in 4.1 c) - Process Flow Charts (Process Sequence Chart) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
D Suitability of Attribute Control Charts for ppm Level Control Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
R Metrology Control Charts for Reference and Working Standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
D One-Two-Three Sigma Control Limits - Calculating Control Limits for X-bar Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
bobdoering Myth or Mythunderstanding: Implications of the Economic Design of Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
E Performance Charts - Purchasing Department and Material Control Department Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
J Control Charts for 29 Devices that I tested Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 10
J Control Charts with different Sample Sizes Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
T why CPK <1.0 regarding two pieces of control charts of torque wrench? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
R Electronic Templates for making Paper Control Charts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
S Multivariate Control Charts in Chemical Batch Processing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
G Control Charts - Plotting Unwanted Data Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
Y Control Charts + Ishikawa Manufacturing and Related Processes 26
N SPC Light Program - Easy way of Cpk extraction from multiple control charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
K Calculating Control Limits in Average and Range Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
G Adjusted Control Limits - Usage of Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 26
U P Charts - Subgroup Sizes? Process Control Indicator Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
E Which control charts to monitor waste produced on the shop floor Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
J Control limits for one sided control charts using WECO rules Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
T Rules for interpreting control charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
G Control charts of finished product characteristics..NonSense? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
D Control limit calculation (Xbar R charts) using Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
H How to create Stoplight Control charts with excel? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 16
S Calculating 1 sigma and 2 Sigma limits in Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
M Control Charts - Points TOUCHING Limits = Stable? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
T What is Average Run Length & Average Production Length when used in Control Charts? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
T Using SPC Control Charts to Reduce AQL Sample Size AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 16
B Recommendation for a book to Explain Control Charts Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
C Designing Control Charts - Variable with Small Variation and Tight Control Limit Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 20
K Understanding Control Charts Methodology for Attributes like Plug Guages. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1