Control limits for one sided control charts using WECO rules

J

jay1ph

Hi,

How can WECO rules be applied for one-sided control charts, say for x bar-R chart? If I only have minimum specification limit, do I need to apply WECO rules on the upper control limit?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Control charts are not one-sided. Your specification may be one-sided, such as a max or min requirement, but to control a process, you must control deviations from a mean value whether they increase or decrease regardless of the specification.

Therefore you can apply the WECO rules.

D

Darius

There is no set of rules that apply to anykind of process. Just use the rules that apply to your process. Try to understand your process, wich patterns usually happen as part of the normal workings of your process (normal causes).

For one sided process is possible that runs happen offten without any special causes, specially if it is physically bounded (a natural limit in one site). If you put all rules, the operators will neglect the system if they don't know why this was something they have to take care.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
For one sided process is possible that runs happen offten without any special causes, specially if it is physically bounded (a natural limit in one site). If you put all rules, the operators will neglect the system if they don't know why this was something they have to take care.
When you have a natural limit, such as zero flatness, you will typically have a non-normal process. If using an I-MR chart, you will see unusual patterns that will frequently violate the WECO rules.

If using an Xbar/R chart, this should tend to normalize the data and minimize WECO problems (unless you are running right up on the boundary and the data are extremely non normal).

However, if you are running at a distance from the natural boundary, normality is not typically an issue (unless precision machining, see bobdoering's blog for more info).

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Hi,

How can WECO rules be applied for one-sided control charts, say for x bar-R chart? If I only have minimum specification limit, do I need to apply WECO rules on the upper control limit?
As usual, it would be handy to know what the characteristic is specifically and the process used to provide a more concise answer to the question.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Setting Control Limits - SPC for one sided dimensions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Z Why Control Limits are not the same depending on type of exclusion of data points Using Minitab Software 7
N Apply control limits to a non-normal distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
G I-Chart and X bar Chart Control limits Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
V Correlating Maximum 'Range' of Values for a given "RSD" (Control Limits) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
H Control limits for varying subgroup sizes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
T What to do if parameters are found to be Outside of Control Limits Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
K Historical Data to establish Control Limits Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
B Cleanroom Control Limits: Cumulative or individual? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
D Calculating Lower and Upper 3 Sigma Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
K Advice on Calculating Control Chart Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
K Determining Control Limits from a desired Cpk Using Minitab Software 19
P Critical Limits for Air Blower as CCP (Critical Control Point) Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
I Shewhart Constants vs Central Limit Theorem in calculating Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
S Is a Stable Process (within Control Limits) required for Calculating Pp, Ppk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
D Are Four Sigma Control Limits based on Shewhart's work Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
K How to Calculate UCL (Upper Control Limits) and LCL (Lower Control Limits) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
T Conducting the "are all points within the control limits" test when there is no LCL? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D One-Two-Three Sigma Control Limits - Calculating Control Limits for X-bar Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
B Precision Machining and Compressed Control Limits Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
S Calculation of Upper and Lower Control Limits for Control Chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
C Cleanroom Class 8 (100,000) Particulate Control and Warning Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
M Control Limits for Wildly Out of Control Processes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
S Computing Control Limits in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S Setting Control Limits for Particle Counts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
B If I know x-bar, spec limits, and Cpk, can I calculate the control limits? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 16
A Finding Control Limits for a Non-Normal Distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
P Help on Treatment of Points Outside of Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
W Estimated Sigma and Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
N Variable Control Limits Calculation - P Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Moving Range Upper and Lower Control Limits when alpha=0.002 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
K Calculating Control Limits in Average and Range Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
J Choice of Control Limits - Customer wants to control at 4.5 sigma Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 23
G Adjusted Control Limits - Usage of Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 26
V Subsets vs. Subgroups - Calculating the control limits of a process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S Calculating 1 sigma and 2 Sigma limits in Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
P Help on p-chart - Computing new control limits and chart suitability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M Control Charts - Points TOUCHING Limits = Stable? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
CycleMike Setting Process Control Limits - Is this process out of control? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 38
J Calculating Control Limits for nonconformities - 1000 accounting transactions per day Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
B Calculation for extending control limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
M Interpreting my R+R chart - NDC's and Out of Control Limits Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
W How to justify Widened Control Limits - No Assignable Cause scenario Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 26
A Control Chart and Limits For Large Sample Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
A Tight Control Limits - Tape & Reel Process, the process of packaging ICs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 27
Marc When to Recalculate Control Limits? SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
S To take into account the tool wear during calculating control limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
C SPC: How to set up control limits on SPC chart based on historical data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
A Formula for I Control Chart Limits - Different values for E2 constant of IMR? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
E Formulas and Constants - Control Limits for Individual and Moving Range Control Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2