Control Numbers - Do you have to give a control number to every form you use?

J

Jamie

I couldn't find another thread that this really fit with so I started this one. I'm just curious how other people are handling control numbers.

In your opionon do you have to give a control number to every form you use? If so, Why and where is it documented?

The reason I'm asking, In creating my Internal Audit "stuff" I've creating a Internal Audit Checklist. This checklist is VERY generic, our Internal Auditors are responsible for completing them. Being noone has access to my drive on the server with all the quality "stuff" it would really hard to issue a control number for this form. Noone would be able to open the form from the server and enter their information. So I created a form and put it on a drive that the auditors have access to. Now I have to create the Audit Summary Report and am running into the same problem.

Any suggestions on how to handle this? Is it okay not to issue a Control Number for these forms, even though completed they'll become Quality Records? :bigwave:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
You don't have to number your forms. The standard says that records must be identifiable, most of the time you put a title on a form right? If you choose to identify them by the title, then that is good enough. There are some threads on control of records, and doc control that you might find some interesting information in.

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
Six of one, half-dozen of the other...

This is purely your companies call. I can tell you what we did and why and hope that will help.

I also have a 'restricted' access server location that I keep my documents on. However, I do have another folder under a 'common' server location with open access and put current revisions of key forms that folks want to complete electonically.

I don't have a problem with anyone making adjustments to form structures so control hasn't been an issue. In our system we say that forms being used as records to support system processes or collect production/scrap information, must be controlled. This secures for us the consistency/reliability/repeatability of data/information regarding forms used.

Each of our departments is identified with a single letter and then forms consecutively numbered. Where a form is used by more than one department it is given a general department ID letter. The form # is placed in a footer along with revision information (ex: Q-21 Rev-6 09/20/01). Electronic file names are also made easy (same ex: Q21-6). Next revision will be Q21-7 and the Q21-6 will be moved to the Obsolete folder for historical information.

By the way I also use the same common sub-folder (called Document Control) to share work instructions and SOPs for engineers/supervisors/etc...to update rather than having one person identify changes needed and another make the changes. When completed, the files are removed from the common drive and put in the secure location.

Scott

S/W QUALITY
4.2.3 Control of Documents

What about the requirement in "4.2.3 Control of documents, c) to ensure that changes and they current revision status of documents are identified".

Without Form numbers and revision information how do you meet this requirement?

Does this element not apply to forms?

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
You can keep revision information the same way for a form that goes by its title as you can for one with a number. i.e. your form is Internal Audit Report instead of form Q001, Internal Audit Report. Somewhere, probably in your footer you show the Rev. Level (Rev. 1).

I do not put all the revision info on forms, as in: 2/5/02, added column to record todays temperature (OK, it's a little far-fetched, but what do you want coming off the top of my head?:biglaugh: ) We keep a master list that is accessible through the internet browser at every computer throughout the facility, and all of the descriptions of changes are recorded there with the applicable rev. level.

J

Jamie

What I was trying to ask is do you have to control these forms at all (i.e. revision status)? I know once the Auditor has completed it, it becomes a record and then it is maintained as such.

In our old system set up to the 94 version. We used an Audit software from Harrington the Audit Checklist was already set up in the system so it didn't have a control number.

I no longer use this software and have created the checklist and wanted to be able to put it on the server so the Auditors had access to it for completion. I do like E-Wall's method of having a folder on the server with access for everyone that may need/want to complete the forms electronically. I may go with this method and just document this in my Document Control Procedure.:bigwave:

J

Jamie

I do not put all the revision info on forms, as in: 2/5/02, added column to record todays temperature (OK, it's a little far-fetched, but what do you want coming off the top of my head? ) We keep a master list that is accessible through the internet browser at every computer throughout the facility, and all of the descriptions of changes are recorded there with the applicable rev. level.
Do you have to keep a master list with all the descriptions of changes for forms? We do this for our work instructions and operational procedures. I've never thought about this from a "Form" stand point.

Scott

S/W QUALITY
Summary of Changes on FORMS

Jamie,

We keep a Summary of Change for all of our procedures at the bottom of that document for the last three versions. The number three seemed to work for the auditor.

The auditor never said we had to have a "Summary of Changes? on forms, we just had to "Control the Document".

J

Jamie

Thanks for the input Scott. That is about what I do. I have a "Revision Sheet" at the end of each work inst. and OP where I identify the changes made and I just simply "control" my forms. :bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Control numbers for records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
M Document Identification and Control Numbers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C Changing Document Names/Control Numbers and Obsoleting Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S Do you control your policies with control numbers? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
D Document Revision Numbers and Control of Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
D Assigning numbers to control plans etc. FMEA and Control Plans 7
B PPAP Applicability - 10,000 Part Numbers - Control Plans for ALL part numbers? APQP and PPAP 18
R Risk control measures as per ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
T Linking Control Plans and PFMEA's FMEA and Control Plans 2
L How to add exemption or statement to control of document procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T PFMEA and Control Plans on legacy product FMEA and Control Plans 5
P IATF 16949 requirement - error-proofing in control plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C 8.5.1.1 Control of Equipment, Tools, and Software Programs - Questions about the extent of control of NC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q Version/Revision Control of CAD files Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0
J Control Plan use on the manufacturing floor FMEA and Control Plans 4
E Change in control plan - Do I have to do sampling? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D All Dimensions listed on control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
Q ISO 9001 8.5.1 - Control of production and service performance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A Beginners help with ISO3951-2 Combined control s-method n>5 what is Phi ?? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B Control chart and sample time Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
DuncanGibbons Manufacturing Plan vs Material Specification vs Control Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
J Control chart for huge sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
K Contamination Control - Class Is medical devices (Clause 6.4.2 ISO 13485:2016 (E)) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
J 510(k) for a control kit for an external IVD test kit 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Assessing Hazard-Related Use Scenarios where control measures exist through standards IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 32
adir88 Documenting Risk Control Option Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
T Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
L AS5553 Clause 3.1.7 e "Control packaging material ..................reused" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
S Should safety checks be included in the Control Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Infrastructure: Equipment, Work Environment and Contamination Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q Relabeler for patent expired product - design control responsibilities? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J How to make Quality Control plans Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
D Supplied Product on Control Plan - Lot ranging in 40,000 pcs per product FMEA and Control Plans 3
D IEC 62304 Risk Classification - With and without hardware control IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
J Antiviral Mask or Mask to Mitigate or Control Corona Virus Manufacturing and Related Processes 29
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Inventory Control - Any thoughts would be appreciated ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2