SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Control of company website and social media

R

RobertMMolinaro

Hi all,
My company is a small, US-based medical device manufacturer. We have a mature quality system with effective documentation management. We are re-doing our website to strengthen our internet presence, and we have somewhat active social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter. We want to ensure that Quality has approval powers over what the commercial team publishes to our website and social media, but this is new territory for us and we aren?t sure of the best way to manage it. Has anyone incorporated control of websites and social media into their change control process, or written dedicated SOPs for managing them? If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it!
Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
P

PaulJSmith

Re: Control of website and social media

Exactly what controls does Quality need regarding your company's web content?

R

RobertMMolinaro

Similar to how we review and approve internal documents (work instructions, batch records, specs, etc...), Quality wants to review and approve website content and possible social media posts before they are uploaded/posted. We want to ensure that content and links on the website are vetted by Quality. We are still hashing out what controls Quality should have over social media, which is part of the reason why I wanted to ask for advice.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Similar to how we review and approve internal documents (work instructions, batch records, specs, etc...), Quality wants to review and approve website content and possible social media posts before they are uploaded/posted. We want to ensure that content and links on the website are vetted by Quality. We are still hashing out what controls Quality should have over social media, which is part of the reason why I wanted to ask for advice.
One of the issues I see with Quality vetting the social media is 'time'. I don't know anything about social media (I don't use any of it), but the people I know who use it say they like it because of the speed with which you can get information/answer/updates.

If your procedures slow this down too much, you may have a negative result. I personally would not want to have to approve social media posts. Does quality have to approve all e-mails that get sent out? I think social media and e-mail is pretty much the same thing.

My :2cents:

R

RobertMMolinaro

Thanks for your comment Michael_M. Time is important for social media, but I think that social media is more akin to advertising than email.

An email is specifically sent to one or more intended recipients. They may choose to forward it or not, but email is generally meant as a communication between a sender and a specific recipient or group of recipients. Social media posts are broadcast so that anyone can view them, like an advertisement. In addition, an email may represent the views of the sendor or of their company (depending on context), but social media gives the appearance that any views expressed are those of the company, rather than the individual who wrote them.

Q

QSMLauren

I have to agree with Michael M.; I see it more of a marketing/communication function than quality; however if you are small perhaps you don't have separate people. Another example - Is Quality involved in approving various advertisements/brochures that go out? The only place I see it making sense is approving product specifications or a customer survey that is posted on the web.

D

DCinOKC

At the previous medical device company I worked for, we also required Quality approval of the content of our website. It was a bear to manage, but with FDA inspecting more and more websites, we had to ensure that product claims and information were correct and did not differ from what we had submitted to the FDA. But the product claims are all Quality was concerned with. All claims made had to be identical to what was approved in our product information literature - IFUs, user manuals, labeling, etc. If those were changed, then the website was captured in Change Control and changed as well. We had a great Marketing department that was very aware of regulatory requirements. I'm still not sure that was the most effective way to control the website, but it worked for us. We didn't have a presence on Facebook or Twitter, so I'm not sure how you would handle that.

D

deanbell

In agreement with QSMLauren, that social media content is related more to marketing and public relations strategy than quality.

This said, it would be prudent for your quality function to be involved in the development of a corporate social media policy. This would include:
- Which SM technologies will be used, and how memberships/subscriptions will be managed (I.e. registrations, administration of passwords).
- Protocols for who can create SM content, and whether separate approval is required prior to publication (if so, it is up to you to define who is the most appropriate authority for this).
- What type of content is intended to be broadcast using your SM policy, and whether different SM platforms should be used for different types of publications.
- Any forms that are to be used for the drafting and recording of intended SM content, including approval (this may not be required for your organisation, but I have seen internal templates for this from a couple of businesses).
- Whether internal audits will be conducted to ensure that published SM content is consistent with your policy.
- Processes for how to remove or respond to detected inappropriate SM content.

As stated in ISO9001, define your processes, document, implement, and audit as necessary.

I

isoalchemist

I'm with DCinOKC on this one. The FDA does look at the website and checks for what is posted and if any uses are claimed or implied that are not approved. Within the scope of ISO 9001 I had to have our marketing guys pull both wording and images that would have gotten us in trouble with our registrar.

Ideally someone is the marketing group is knowledgeable about the requirements and can serve as the checkpoint. In most companies that is not the case and should fall into the Quality and/or Regulatory group. In either case a system should be in place and audited.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kisxena Implementing Change Control on Company Website ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
P Do we need equipment stock control for security company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Does Record Control apply to the company business processes as well? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
H Quality Management and Quality Control - Manufacturing company of 40+ people Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
A Company Name Change & Control of Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
N Document Control - Changing Company Logo Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
B Control of Work Transfer in an Engineering Services Company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
K Design Control - Parent Company is located in Australia 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Q Document Control in an Engineering Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
D Document Revisions when a different company takes control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Electronic Document Control in a Company - Organization of Files Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
S Quality Control Processes in a Mineral Water Company and HACCP Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 20
S Document Control Reporting Line in a Small Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
R Document Control: Contract between my company and customer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
J What SPC (Statistical Process Control) software is your company using? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
N Kickstart new Document Control Department - Construction company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S How to control the revisions of the company AS9100 Quality Systems Manual AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
Q ISO 14001 and Control of Subcontractors - Small engineering company ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
G Document Control - Merging two Document systems (small company incorporated)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Control of monitoring and measuring devices - Computer forensics company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
L How to apply the clause "control of non-conforming product" on services company ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Definition and control of outsourced processes - Service Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Medical Device Company Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S Establishing Control of Regulations that concern my company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
J Control and Handling of Limit or Boundary Sample - Molding company and we get flash Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
Z Document Control in a Construction Management Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Implementing "Control of Documents" Basics at New Company Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
S How to control marketing documents in a medical device company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
S Control of Work Instructions and Forms - New Quality System in a Small Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
ISOsandy Laser Etching - Company that will repair/service an InstaMark (control laser) - Help! Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
T Control of Customer Supplied Material - Build to Print Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Control of Non-conforming product procedure in a R&D company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
L Document control - Missing drawings (prints) - Older company and older workforce Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
T Material Food grade...how you control them? Company who blends and bottles spirits Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
M Company control plan vs. Part control plans ?! help ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Control of nonconforming product - Software Company - ISO 9001, Clause 8.3 Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
M When is control plan required? Remanufacturing and Repackaging Company FMEA and Control Plans 5
H Printing Company - Need advice for training courses in the quality control arena Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
L Manufacturing and quality control process in furniture production company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Electronic Control Design Company - Can We Register to TS 16949? Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
K Document Control in a Company with Only Paper Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
L Anyone have a good example of a T/E company control plan? FMEA and Control Plans 3
N Design Control Necessary - Specification development company Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
M Design Control - Management of Electronic CAD files Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act) PIP 3:1 RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
S Use of Attributes Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
U Appraiser Out of Control Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
L Looking for Control Plan and FMEA Stamping process FMEA and Control Plans 2
Z AS9100 Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Rework Dispositions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
K ASME, ANSI, ASTM and similar specifications and their requirements for document control. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8