Control of Customer Documents (Documents of External Origin)

Q

qarep

Friends,

we are the manufacturers and suppliers for electronic components. One of our customer want us to follow their manufacturing and test procedures and record in their forms.

How can we control those kind of documents which is customer provided.Should I bring it under our document numbering system or should i just provide the reference to their formats in my product realization process reference section ?

we have only couple of customers who require us to follow their procedures.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

rsmoot

Re: Control of customer documents

We have a fairly straight forward way of doing this - we don't try to "control" them (under document controle, per se') that would be a nightmare. When we are required by a customer contract to use a customer supplied form, document, or work instruction, we make sure that :​
  • Our internal Job Router notes the special requirement.​
  • The employees working on the project understand the requirement (in whatever capacity) and process accordingly​
  • Quality verifies it was in fact done.​

When we are done internal processing and ready to ship product (and paperwork), we simply include any special forms requested (evidence that we complied with the request) with the quality record(s) for that contract that go with the shipment, and file copies of it according to our internal records retention guideline.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Friends,

we are the manufacturers and suppliers for electronic components. One of our customer want us to follow their manufacturing and test procedures and record in their forms.

How can we control those kind of documents which is customer provided.Should I bring it under our document numbering system or should i just provide the reference to their formats in my product realization process reference section ?

Thanks
It is up to your organization to find the more effective ( and efficient) solution for this question. As per ISO 9001 standard , they could fall under the so called " documents of external origin" , citing the clause 4.2.3. As advice , you can detail the way to proceed in your documented procedures of documentation and record control. Remember the difference between "document" and "record". If the customer provides you a form of its own, it is a document, when it is filled in by your organization it becomes a record that shall be mantained as per agreement with customer ( to be decided how much time, also taking into account eventual legal requirement depending on the market you are serving). It could happen that the documet can change, so you shall have in place a process to modify the the document as per request of your customer too. It is key , in my opinion, the setting of precise requiements in agreement with customer to manage this issue.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator

It could happen that the documet can change...
This is important. You need to ensure that you are always using the latest version. As much as I can, I use a live link to the customer's supplier portal rather than storing the document somewhere or distributing it. Some customers keep track of who is using what and send automatic updates when their requirements documents or forms are updated. Some customers do neither.:rolleyes: In these cases, you'll need to determine at what frequency you verify the revision status of customer specified specs/procedures/forms, etc.

Other documents of external origin may include AMS, SAE, ANSI, ASTM, etc. specifications. Of which you also need to verify revision status somehow.

D

dv8shane

Friends,

Thanks
Just update your QMS to say that the documents of external origin will be put in a bucket or box that also contains the unit and will stay with the unit until it arrives back at the customer or something to that effect. I use various sizes of Tupperware type containers, and all documentation stays in the container and follows the unit through process's until it shipped back with the customer item.

M

Murphys Law

QArep- did you agree to do this upfront or did it come retrospectively?

This could become bigger issue down the road and you may want to consider having a customer (or contract) document approval process. There may be something in here that you may disagree with doing. My company does in many instances and we get into a negotiation process with counter proposals/requests for waivers or clarifications. We document our internal review that appropriate people have reviewed the document and any exceptions taken. It then consolodates these into 1 corporate response that gets sent to QA management for approval before going to the customer.

Secondly, if we accept any Customer specific requirements (CSRs) above our existing procedures or methods, we make sure these are fanned out to any impacted groups or manufacturing sites. To help them out, we may even create custom part numbers to distinguish that CSRs now apply to these products. For example, a Suffix in a part number indicates which end customer is buying the part so we can easily see what it is.

Finally, we have a hard line on Commercial off the shelf product (ie/ catalog) and ones that we agreed to apply CSRs. A catalog device will have no CSRs applied: period. Our sales to that account may not like it, but it forces BUs to better assess doing RFQs to these 'special' (aka difficult) customers. We have forced CSRs upstream into the quoting system.

Friends,

Thanks
This is simple. It is both Customer property and document of external origin.
Approve, issue, manage change control is your customer responsibility
Identification and distribution control is your responsibility
You are also responsible to use it with due care and handle it as a customer property, as it is under your organization control and being used by you.
Please always provide the reference to their formats in your product realization process reference section (along with the revision / date of issue and ensure that it is the current with the customer who provided)

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Control of External Documents such as customer manuals AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 28
T Customer Specific Documents and Records - ISO 9001 Control Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Control of Customer Manuscripts (Manuals), Specifications - External Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
C Control Plan - Links to Customer Documents (e.g. Print) or the Actual Specifications? FMEA and Control Plans 22
P Customer Furnished Drawings Retained? Control of Documents of External Origin Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
F Control Of Documents Questions - Customer Specifications / Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Why Control Plan Review needs to be Approved by the Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Customer control of supplier's process Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
S Vendor Control for Customer Designated Supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
J Why are there Customer Complaints when the process is in control? Six Sigma 24
S Customer Provide Control Procedure & Changes of Products and QMS Control Procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Document Control / Planned Deviations from Customer Processes and Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
K FMEA and Control Plan In-House or send to Customer? APQP and PPAP 9
M Customer requires Controls Detection to match Control Plan Control Method FMEA and Control Plans 2
Q Control Plan - Customer Order Receipt to job order is issued to production FMEA and Control Plans 3
S Inspection Kits for Each Customer Part: Calibration and Asset Control? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Document Control: Contract between my company and customer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
J Choice of Control Limits - Customer wants to control at 4.5 sigma Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 23
S Customer Part Number Changes - Control Plan Question FMEA and Control Plans 1
L Recommendations for Control of Customer Tailored Forms? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
L Customer requirement to create a Guide for defining Control Methods FMEA and Control Plans 9
B Customer Required Control of Changes (Man, Machine, Method) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
B Customer keeps rejecting my Process Control Plan (PCP) FMEA and Control Plans 6
Q Control Plan for Customer Care and Repair of PCs FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Control of Nonconforming Product - Customer and/or Regulatory Approval ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
F Control Plan for non automotive customer FMEA and Control Plans 9
D Internal form we use to handle Customer Complaints - To control or not to control Customer Complaints 6
T Control of Customer Supplied Material - Build to Print Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Control Plans - Same seal now required by another customer FMEA and Control Plans 1
A Tooling Control - Asked by our Customer to Implement a Procedure - Suggestions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
R Customer requirement implementation - Seeking control system example or suggestions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
D Control Of Customer Survey Forms and Related Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M Document Control: File, Document and Verify Customer Specific Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 49
E QS 4.7 control of customer supplied product QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 10
G Customer Print Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D Is it possible to control Customer Drawings (Prints) by a "Received" Date Stamp? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 16
K ISO 2859-5 (single run production) control plan issues FMEA and Control Plans 2
E Control Charts ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
E Control of Sterile Barriers made by the supplier Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
E Do anyone have document of automotive production risk and control of risk? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
M X-MR Control Chart Rules (Particularly the MR) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
I Clinical study suppliers (service providers) -- extent of control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
P Product Requirements Control during Design Changes Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
T Control Excel template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Document Control of Online Management Software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R 8.7 Control of Nonconforming Outputs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
W Document control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
S Control plan - Multiple batches Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Q Control Plan and the frequency of sampling FMEA and Control Plans 11
A ISO 9001:2015 8.5.6 and 7.5.3 Document Control Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5