Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

Control Of Documents and Forms - Formats and Numbering

Q

qarep

Hi,

I have prepared a test procedure manual for our operators to follow . This manual contains few forms for recording results.
Is provision of document number on the first page of this manual sufficient to handle the main document? Also do the formats in this manual require separate numbering system format?

Kindly suggest.Thanks

Last edited:
T

tamale

Depends,

If your procedure manual is in a binder form, with removable pages for consultation then I would say that an index of contents by procedure number is sufficient.

If the manual is bound like a book, then an index that includes the procedure number as well as general manual pagination is nice to have.

Basically what becomes required, is what you decide to include! That's the way I have always seen it and it has always worked out well!

Tamale :2cents:

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi,

I have prepared a test procedure manual for our operators to follow . This manual contains few forms for recording results.
Is provision of document number on the first page of this manual sufficient to handle the main document? Also do the formats in this manual require separate numbering system format?

Kindly suggest.Thanks
qarep,

Code your forms (bottom right corner) separately so they can be updated independently of the manual.

Our clients use: FM-BB-CC(D)

Where BB is the department code of the process owner. CC runs from 01 to 99 for each unique combination of FM-BB (00 could be used for the master list) and D is the rev status. A, B = first draft, second draft - comments requested ~01, 02 = first issue, second issue for use and improvement.

Manual with list of all pages in each section is fine.

John

Frankly, with modern computers holding the primary documents, it is no longer necessary to give numbers to documents and forms - they can be given plain language names like

• "thingamajig Model Z - test record"
  • "whatsis Model B - test record"
and easily found and retrieved via standard menus or searches.

Added in edit: The finished records can be held in a single folder, delineated by date or lot number

Top Bottom