SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Control of Documents - Change history question - Changes from previous revision OK?

R

razorsedge

In 4.2.3 Control of Documents ISO 9001:2000 section c – “to ensure that changes and the current revision status of documents are identified”

My question is this – how far back do I need to track the changes within a procedure or instruction. The reason I ask is MS Word tracks changes nicely, but once you start doing multiple changes over time it gets messy. The standard does not state explicitly that all changes from the original on must be tracked. One could argue that change(s) means all the changes for the current revision.

What if I only keep the current changes from the previous revision, will this pass an audit? Thanks for your thoughts.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
N

nickh - 2011

I agree with you about the messiness of Word's revision tracking over time. I've seen some become undecipherable after a few revisions if you show all the revisions. You can leave the tracking on, but uncheck the "show" revisions options.

If you're going to just keep the last revisions, you should keep an separate archive of the old revisions. If you have a product that starts failing in the field after 2 years, but you've revised your documents 3 times in that period, what are you going to do?

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
razorsedge said:
In 4.2.3 Control of Documents ISO 9001:2000 section c – “to ensure that changes and the current revision status of documents are identified”

My question is this – how far back do I need to track the changes within a procedure or instruction. The reason I ask is MS Word tracks changes nicely, but once you start doing multiple changes over time it gets messy. The standard does not state explicitly that all changes from the original on must be tracked. One could argue that change(s) means all the changes for the current revision.

What if I only keep the current changes from the previous revision, will this pass an audit? Thanks for your thoughts.
You need to keep a copy of the document for each revision.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Simple question:

Are we talking about
  1. APPROVED revisions?
    or just
  2. the minor "noodling" before everyone necessary signs off?
If we are talking about (2), it's not necessary to keep those.
If we are talking about (1), how many approved revisions are we talking about?

If we are talking about dozens of approved changes to the same document, something is wrong with the process.

Al is correct in that you only need to keep of copy of each APPROVED revision in an archive. Even then, you need a retention policy for when to destroy old versions or to transfer them to archival storage (CD or DVD in a box off-site or on a remote data server?) It is not necessary, for example, to keep work instruction for Brown and Sharpe lathes if you don't have any lathes left on the premises.

R

razorsedge

Thanks for the Help

Thanks for all of your help. It helps to get other perspectives. I will go the rout of “dumping” copies of previous revisions annotated with the date in one big electronic file. That way I can keep only the “current” changes visible in the current word document if the viewer wants to see them. Want anything older and it’s off to the dumping ground where you can search by file name and date it was stored.

Thanks again for the input. :thanx:

I would argue that you do not need to keep any past revisions. There is no "(see 4.2.4)" in this section. There are two separate parts of this requirement. 1) ensure that changes are identified. This can be done in a variety of ways (including training). The key is that when a document is changed, the document user needs to know what changed.
2) ensure that current revision status is idntified. To do this, the document user needs to know the revision of the document and also know what revision he/she should be using.

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
db said:
I would argue that you do not need to keep any past revisions. There is no "(see 4.2.4)" in this section. There are two separate parts of this requirement. 1) ensure that changes are identified. This can be done in a variety of ways (including training). The key is that when a document is changed, the document user needs to know what changed.
2) ensure that current revision status is idntified. To do this, the document user needs to know the revision of the document and also know what revision he/she should be using.
:agree1: Dave, your right, in ISO 9001:2000 there is no requirement to maintain a copy of the old revision. :bonk:I need to take off my ISO 13485 hat.

You are not alone, Al. I cannot count how many times I've heard stories that the 3rd party auditor was looking for old copies. I've also heard of auditors dictating how the changes are to be identified, talking about change logs and the like. Which probably comes from the non-existent requirement for the nature of the change to be on the document, or supporting attachment.

D

ddunn

While I agree that ther is no ISO 9001:200 requirement to keep historical copies of your processes, as a Configuration Manager, I would ask why you would not want to keep them. You should maintain your change history of what changed and why the change was made for future reference. If you find a process defect that did not exist in the past you don't want to rely on memory to figure out what changed.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Quite frankly, part of the task of Configuration Management is to determine WHICH documents need archiving and which can be discarded as soon as a new version is approved and released. The documents which are archived further require a retention scheme (initial hold date, review, subsequent disposition.)

Note that "disposition" is not "disposal" - it may mean a change in position from active archive to inactive archive to shredder.

It is not efficient or valuable from a business point of view to treat EVERY document exactly the same in terms of retention. Some documents absolutely require maintaining the original hard copy. Others may NEVER be made into a hard copy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
drgnrider How to control documents that most likely won't change ever ? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
A Company Name Change & Control of Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
T Living Documents which change every day - Control or Uncontrolled? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
K Running Change Drawing Control - Timing aspect of the release of these documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
R Process control documents - Context of API Spec Q1, Clause 5.7.1.3 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
qualityegghead ISO13485:2016 4.2.4 Control Of Documents - Lifetime of the Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Defining Approvals Required for Design Control Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
N Responding to NADCAP nonconformance - Control of External Documents AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
B Control of Duplicate Documents - Limited Scope (long) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P Document Control - Do hard copies of documents need to be signed? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Retiring documents in Document Control Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Managing Level 3 Production Documents - Document Control System Help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M Document Control Management - External documents flowed down from customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S AS9100 Control of Documents and SAP Implementation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Control of External Documents such as customer manuals AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 28
Gman2 Control of Documents and (FORMS) on a Computer Network ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
T Information Gathering Documents and Document/Record Control Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
T Customer Specific Documents and Records - ISO 9001 Control Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Control of Records - Differences between Controlled Documents and Controlled Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
drgnrider Control of External Audit Notes and Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
U Do we have to have foreign legal documents? (ISO13485 4.2.3 document control) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Document Control - Details to include on Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
N Control of Documents Scope - Product Specifications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J ISO/IEC 17025 - Which External Documents require control? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S Read Only & Password Protected - Sufficient to Control Documents under 4.2.3? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
W Control of Obsolete Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
T Are Control Plans "Summary Documents" not meant to replace Work Instructions? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Control of Documents Procedure - Audit Nonconformance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 30
Q Control Of Documents and Forms - Formats and Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Q Control of Customer Documents (Documents of External Origin) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T Document Control Master List for Obsolete Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
K Control of Documents or Control of Records? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
S Referencing other documents in Control Plans Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
F Nonconforming Product Procedure vs. Control of Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L How to control some Documents and Records (ECN's and ECR's) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P Electronic Record Control (Specifically editable records not fixed documents!) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Document Control using Wiki - Cannot Create all Documents as Wiki Pages Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
G Document Control-AS9100 - Marking of Documents as Master Copy of Controlled Copy AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
B Reusing paper of Obsolete Documents to Control Waste Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
S Document Control - Different documents which must be controlled not identified Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
R Which documents to control apart from QMS related procedures? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
K Link between Control of Documents, CPAR & Control of Non-Conforming Product Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Control of Documents - Converted online in SharePoint Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
T External Document (Documents of External Origin) Control Template example wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
A Designing a Documents Control System from scratch (in a php intranet) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
R Control of Documents - Drawing (soft copy) for further work by other Consultants Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
H 4.2.3 Document Control using Microsoft Sharepoint - Visibility of Draft Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Controlling Documents: Beyond the standard, how do we truly define what to control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9