Control of Documents of External Origin - Reference manuals and standards

C

Cheryl

External Controls

I have read many of archieved posts regarding control of external documentation, however, I was wondering how the majority of us are controlling our external doc's.

My question, how does your company control your External reference manuals and standards essential to the effective functioning of the quality system?

While the availability of customer documents is increasing via the internet (eg. specs) we still maintain numerous manuals. Presently we maintain all manuals etc in their respective department with one document controller assigned to maintain the master listing. This system is working for us (most of the time) but I would be happier with a tighter and more controled arrangement.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

Cheryl,

We have used an Access database that included a section that listed external documents, current revion, responsibility, location etc... Mainly it contained the phone number or web site that was used to verify the validity of the external document on a yearly basis.

I think the hard part is to define which expernal manuals really do affect the working of the quality system.

These documents can run the gamut from say, QS-9000 manuals to a price list from the local tool distributer. (large leap)

ASD...

C

cag45

I have three questions about external document control:
1. How do I contol prints (supplied by customers) when customers don't keep us updated with current prints?
the second two questions are likened to the first
2. How do I get customer cooperation to keep us updated with current prints?
and 3. How do I perform internal print reviews when I am not really sure if I have the current rev. level (since my cusotmer won't keep me current) but requires that my products meet current rev. level?

[This message has been edited by cag45 (edited 27 July 2001).]

T

tomvehoski

Originally posted by cag45:
I have three questions about external documnet control:1
1: How do I contol prints (supplied by customers) when customers don't keep us updated with current prints?
the second two questions are likened to the first
2. How do I get customer cooperation to keep us updated with current prints?
and 3. How do I perform internal print reviews when I am not realy sure if I have the curent rev. level (since my cusotmer won't keep me currnet) but requires that my products meet current rev. level?
I used to be a supplier quality engineer for a company that could not control its prints. Our wire harness supplier implemented a procedure to call me (or the buyer) prior to building an order to verify in our system that they had the latest print. They did this on every order and we still had about 10% wrong - engineering would not even update the computer system, so I had no idea things had changed. Once the supplier had a later revision print than we did.

Another method would be to send a purchase order confirmation for each order with a statement that "product will be manufactured to print number xxxxxxxx revision yyyy unless further instructions are received within 24 hours." This could be quite cumbersome if you process many orders from them.

Tom

A

Al Dyer

TV,

Good commentary. We all know that we can't control the customers systems so we have to enact our own systems of verifying customer specifications.

In my experience the big 3 are lacking in a system for print control. Many times we have received revised prints without even a request for quote. I guess the best documentation id the signed warrant that notes the print level.

As I say all the time, document all activities!!!!!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Responding to NADCAP nonconformance - Control of External Documents AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Document Control Management - External documents flowed down from customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Control of External Documents such as customer manuals AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 28
drgnrider Control of External Audit Notes and Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
JodiB ISO/IEC 17025 - Which External Documents require control? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Q Control of Customer Documents (Documents of External Origin) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T External Document (Documents of External Origin) Control Template example wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
L ISO 9001:2008 - Control of Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
N Control of External Documents - Best Practices for Control of External Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Q Suppliers info into my Documents Control (Documents of External Origin)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A Control of Documents (External Drawings) and Marking Up Prints Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
T Identification and Control of External Documents - 4.4.5 f) of ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
A Document Control - Control of external documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Control of Customer Manuscripts (Manuals), Specifications - External Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
C Monitoring changes in ANSI standards - Control of External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
T Document Control at Suppliers - Control of External Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B How to control external documents like drawings and standards ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
N How to Control Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
E Control of documents procedure and external documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
K How to Control and 'Monitor' External Documents (Documents of External Origin)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L Sample of Control of Document Procedure and Control of External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P Customer Furnished Drawings Retained? Control of Documents of External Origin Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
V Identification & Control - Documents of External Origin - ISO13485:2003 Clause 4.2.3f Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
J Control of External Documents - How does one *gain* control of external documents? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A 4.2.3 Control of Documents - Need advice on Control of External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M External Documents - How to control? NC over letter from registrar about use of logo Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
S ASTM specs - Control and Update of Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
M Control of documents of External Origin - Specifications from our customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R TS 16949 - Clause 4.2.3 - Identification and Control of Documents of External Origin IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
G Control of External Documents - Which documents are required to be controlled? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
F Documents of External Origin - Identification, Control and Distribution - 4.2.3 f) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
A ISO 9001:2000 - Documents Requiring Control - Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 27
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
R Process control documents - Context of API Spec Q1, Clause 5.7.1.3 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
qualityegghead ISO13485:2016 4.2.4 Control Of Documents - Lifetime of the Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Defining Approvals Required for Design Control Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B Control of Duplicate Documents - Limited Scope (long) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P Document Control - Do hard copies of documents need to be signed? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Retiring documents in Document Control Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Managing Level 3 Production Documents - Document Control System Help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S AS9100 Control of Documents and SAP Implementation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Gman2 Control of Documents and (FORMS) on a Computer Network ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
T Information Gathering Documents and Document/Record Control Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
T Customer Specific Documents and Records - ISO 9001 Control Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Control of Records - Differences between Controlled Documents and Controlled Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
drgnrider How to control documents that most likely won't change ever ? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
U Do we have to have foreign legal documents? (ISO13485 4.2.3 document control) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Company Name Change & Control of Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control - Details to include on Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2