Control of documents of External Origin - Specifications from our customers

M

Mike3903

We are a company ISO9001:200 that receives a fair amount of specifications from our customers to use, which we control once they are put into our system. My question is to other companies out there do you stamp all pages with controlled or uncontrolled or just the cover sheet. My problem is we had an auditor tell me that we had to stamp all sheets with some type of notation due to what would happen if the cover sheet got ripped off and then we would not know if the document were controlled, uncontrolled or obsolete.
I feel stamping the front sheet of each specification is sufficient enough.
What does everyone else do?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mike3903 said:
We are a company ISO9001:200 that receives a fair amount of specifications from our customers to use, which we control once they are put into our system. My question is to other companies out there do you stamp all pages with controlled or uncontrolled or just the cover sheet. My problem is we had an auditor tell me that we had to stamp all sheets with some type of notation due to what would happen if the cover sheet got ripped off and then we would not know if the document were controlled, uncontrolled or obsolete.
I feel stamping the front sheet of each specification is sufficient enough.
What does everyone else do?
Hi Mike:

Why not add a statement to your procedure that a document without a cover sheet is considered uncontrolled and requires verification of revision status.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We control a lot of external standards and customer provided technical orders, "Supplier Requirements" manuals, configuration management documents, etc. We only stamp the front page also - but we rarely have more than one copy of each. I'd tell your auditor that in the unlikely event that a front page is missing, all I'd have to do is go online, contact my customer or somehow verify that I have the current version. Usually documents of this type contain a header or footer denoting the doc name and revision and page X of X. I don't think this is a big issue - especially if these documents appeared to be maintained in a fashion that they are not likely to become dogeared or come up missing.

M

Mike3903

Thanks for the reply Al
I think I will add your suggestion to our procedure sounds like a great idea and a cover your but statement.

Also we are about to put all of our specifications into a computer program by scanning them all which will all soon be digital. So this will eliminate this problem. But before I scan all of these documents I want to make sure we do it correctly.

Tom W

Living the Dream...
We have this same type of situation. We have many cusomter specs, and we control them by simpling having just the one copy. Copies are not made of the specs, that way the one in the file is the controlled copy. IMO - Stampling each page is a detail that is an opinion and not a requirement. The auditor had that opinion, not an issue that should be a nonconformance unless your system said you would stamp each page.

By having them in the part file and only in the part file assures us that the control is maintained. In essance we control the file and not the individual spec. We also maintain the obsolete old revisions (properly identified of course) in the file as well to assist in the showing change history.

M

Mike3903

Does everyone feel that digital documents should be treated the same or is there something that I have missed reviewing the ISO standard.

I believe that as long as I control digital documents the same as paper I should be all set or should I put a separate notation on the cover sheet like: IF THIS DOCUMENT IS REPRODUCED IT IS UNCONTROLLED

B

Brad Serangeli

I believe that you will need to control your digital copy as well as any hard copy. Your statement for the cover sheet should allow you to show that you control the document .

Brad Serangeli said:
I believe that you will need to control your digital copy as well as any hard copy. Your statement for the cover sheet should allow you to show that you control the document .
:agree: Note 3 of 4.2.1 states that "documentation can be in any form or type of medium." That would include electronic.

M

mshell

Mike,

We simply say that all controlled documents reside on our intranet and any needed hard copies must be compared to the controlled master prior to use. All employees are trained in this practice and we have placed computers in the production area to reduce the need for hard copy documents.

mshell

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Responding to NADCAP nonconformance - Control of External Documents AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Document Control Management - External documents flowed down from customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Control of External Documents such as customer manuals AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 28
drgnrider Control of External Audit Notes and Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
JodiB ISO/IEC 17025 - Which External Documents require control? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Q Control of Customer Documents (Documents of External Origin) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T External Document (Documents of External Origin) Control Template example wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
L ISO 9001:2008 - Control of Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
N Control of External Documents - Best Practices for Control of External Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Q Suppliers info into my Documents Control (Documents of External Origin)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A Control of Documents (External Drawings) and Marking Up Prints Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
T Identification and Control of External Documents - 4.4.5 f) of ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
A Document Control - Control of external documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Control of Customer Manuscripts (Manuals), Specifications - External Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
C Monitoring changes in ANSI standards - Control of External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
T Document Control at Suppliers - Control of External Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B How to control external documents like drawings and standards ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
N How to Control Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
E Control of documents procedure and external documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
K How to Control and 'Monitor' External Documents (Documents of External Origin)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L Sample of Control of Document Procedure and Control of External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P Customer Furnished Drawings Retained? Control of Documents of External Origin Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
V Identification & Control - Documents of External Origin - ISO13485:2003 Clause 4.2.3f Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
J Control of External Documents - How does one *gain* control of external documents? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A 4.2.3 Control of Documents - Need advice on Control of External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M External Documents - How to control? NC over letter from registrar about use of logo Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
S ASTM specs - Control and Update of Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
R TS 16949 - Clause 4.2.3 - Identification and Control of Documents of External Origin IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
G Control of External Documents - Which documents are required to be controlled? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
F Documents of External Origin - Identification, Control and Distribution - 4.2.3 f) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
A ISO 9001:2000 - Documents Requiring Control - Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 27
C Control of Documents of External Origin - Reference manuals and standards Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
R Process control documents - Context of API Spec Q1, Clause 5.7.1.3 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
Q ISO13485:2016 4.2.4 Control Of Documents - Lifetime of the Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Defining Approvals Required for Design Control Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B Control of Duplicate Documents - Limited Scope (long) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P Document Control - Do hard copies of documents need to be signed? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Retiring documents in Document Control Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Managing Level 3 Production Documents - Document Control System Help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S AS9100 Control of Documents and SAP Implementation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Gman2 Control of Documents and (FORMS) on a Computer Network ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
T Information Gathering Documents and Document/Record Control Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
T Customer Specific Documents and Records - ISO 9001 Control Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Control of Records - Differences between Controlled Documents and Controlled Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
drgnrider How to control documents that most likely won't change ever ? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
U Do we have to have foreign legal documents? (ISO13485 4.2.3 document control) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Company Name Change & Control of Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control - Details to include on Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2