Control of electronic media documents

V

Violetta Monroe

Control of documents

I am trying to find some info on ways to control the controlled documents that are in electronic media. At this time I am in the process of posting all procedures, work instructions and forms on the share drive of our server for everyone in the company to be able to view them. The folders that the documents are kept are designated to be read only and the documents itself are also protected so no one can copy or change them without the password. No documents can be imported into these folders by anyone other than myself and one other person. If printed the documents bare the following: " Uncontrolled copy. If printed this document is only valid for (and date). One of our employees is very upset. He doesn't want anyone in the company to print his procedures without notifing Document Control. Should we prevent people from doing so? After all we are talking about company procedures. Can you advise on how to handle this matter. All ideas are welcome.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Your system is fine. The problem exists with the creator of that document. What is his reason for not wanting others to print the document? I can't think of a reason myself (unless the document contains some trade secret). Otherwise, your bases are covered.

J

Jennifer

I agree with Kevin. Find out the reason that the person doesn't want anyone to print his procedures out. As far as meeting the standards, your system is just fine.

V

Violetta Monroe

I really don't believe that there's a problem. We are talking about simple company procedures and work instructions as well as forms. There are no secrets in them. His concern is that they would be stolen by a disgruntled employee and given to our competitors. There's nothing stooping them, however, even right now. You can request a document from Document Control and take it back to your desk, but I don't know what you're going to do with it. I can't stop you from making copies if you really wanted to. Thanks for all your responses, I appreciate it.

D

Don Winton

Violetta,

As Kevin stated, your control procedures are fine. I agree with Kevin, the problem seems to lie with the person who does not want procedures printed.

"Can you advise on how to handle this matter." I would suggest you have the individual who has the problem with the printing of the document point out in ISO 900x EXACTLY which clause you are NOT in compliance with.

"Should we prevent people from doing so?" No, I would not. But, it might be a good idea that the individuals that print documents know that they are only valid for the date printed and must be "promptly removed from all points of issue or use, or otherwise assured against unintended use." [4.5.2(b)]. This is probably covered using your header statement, but the employees should know this as well.

Regards,
Don

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Control of email (and other electronic media) as Records - 4.2.4 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
U Electronic templates for making paper control charts Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
A How a test flow can be build for a car electronic sunroof control Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
Q Real Time Electronic SPC/Control Charting Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D How to approach Paper and Electronic Record Control for ISO 9001:2008 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
T Electronic Document Control - Posting a process at work station ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T ISO 9001:2008 Forms Control for Electronic Built-In Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D 21 CFR 11 Tools Validation - Electronic Document and Records Control Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
R A simple electronic (software) document control question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Control of Electronic Traveler and SPC Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P Electronic Record Control (Specifically editable records not fixed documents!) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Computerised (Electronic) Document Control Insights Customer Complaints 1
JoCam Moisture Control - Receiving Moisture Sensitive Electronic Components AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
C Process Mapping Electronic Document Control Software Recommendations Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
D Converting to Electronic Document Control - Procedure Content ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
D Electronic Document Control System suitable for TS 16949 Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
V Electronic Document Control Software suggestions wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
C Electronic Document Control in a Company - Organization of Files Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
R Electronic Templates for making Paper Control Charts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
V Electronic Document Control Sharepoint Questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Best way to control blueprints? Electronic or paper? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A Control of Document - Manual and Electronic Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S Electronic Document Printing Restrictions and Access Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
F Looking for Electronic Document Control Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
M What is the best Electronic Document Control Management System? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 46
R Procedure for Control of Data, Documented & Electronic needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Control, Identification and Content of Corporate Electronic Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
C Electronic work instructions - recommendations for electronic data control software. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M How to Control Electronic Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
A Electronic Forms control - Making sure the most current version of a form was used Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
R Control plans for attribute hydraulic/electronic test equipment FMEA and Control Plans 1
C Document Control of Electronic Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
a_bardi Help me define way of control electronic data files - Logs, etc Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
D Document Control - How can I switch to electronic signatures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
I Electronic Document Control - How do we handle document signoffs? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D Control of Computer Generated (Electronic) Forms - TS 16949 Control Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
N Anybody with experience with Sharepoint portal for electronic document control? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 53
A What Electronic Document Control Software are you using? 'Canned' or In-House? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
A The cost of document control - Electronic vs. Paper Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
A Electronic Control Design Company - Can We Register to TS 16949? Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
Geoff Cotton TS 16949 - Control of Electronic Data Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Control of Electronic Forms and Documents Embedded in Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
J Electronic Document and Records Control Software Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 28
A Document Control: Controlling Electronic Email (E-mail) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
P Control Plans - Intending to transfer our control plans to electronic format Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
B Electronic Doc Control Software Packages Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Document and Data Control - We are not satisfied with electronic document security Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
Q Version/Revision Control of CAD files Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27