Control of Monitoring and Measuring Device Software

E

emgall

The final requirement in this section includes "...the ability of computer software to satisfy the intended application shall be confirmed. This shall be undertaken prior to initial use and reconfirmed as necessary."

Several questions:

1) Test equipment whose operation is computer controlled (in our instance, a spectrometer for chemical analysis) using software developed and installed by the manufacturer. Are we expected to confirm it's acceptability or require some type of documentation from the manufacturer to prove this?
2) What about MS excel spreadsheets and MS access databases employed for logging data, creating SPC charts? Would the software itself require confirmation and/or would each individual spreadsheet created require confirmation?

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

------------------
Ed Gall

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
-> 1) Test equipment whose operation is computer controlled
-> (in our instance, a spectrometer for chemical analysis)
-> using software developed and installed by the
-> manufacturer. Are we expected to confirm it's
-> acceptability or require some type of documentation from
-> the manufacturer to prove this?

I don't think this is an issue. Is your spectrometer calibrated? Your 'standards' should prove the instrument as a whole (hardware and software) is OK.

-> 2) What about MS excel
-> spreadsheets and MS access databases employed for logging
-> data, creating SPC charts? Would the software itself
-> require confirmation and/or would each individual
-> spreadsheet created require confirmation?

I would think you would validate that the software 'system' (Excel plus Access) is doing what you expect by entering a 'known' data set and seeing if the output is what you expect.

I'm sure the other folks here will have some comments on this.

A

Al Dyer

1: Stat Software or Excel program-

Take some data out of the AIAG MSA or SPC manual and run it through your software and compare results and take action as needed.

Get with your customer with a common set of data and punch it into each system and take action as needed.

2: Access program:

Copy an Accesss database to another computer and run the same reports and compare results.

In any case, if you are you are using Microsoft software make sure you are working with the same release and upgrade level of software.

3: Word:

Many use MS Word for documentation. Remember that there are differences in the versions and that not all data will transfer between versions in the exact same manner, even if you open a Word 97 file with Word 2000.

The thing to remember is to validate your software as you would validate your gages.

Example:

I have two identical CNC machines set-up to run the same part. I have two programs, one in each machine. Are the programs inter-changeable? One would think so, but that is not the case. One has to take into consideration, machine life, PM requirements, tool wear, MTFB etc...

Bad analogy?

I think not! You can install MS Excel on three different machines and depending on the service pack level, version level, type of operating system..... there can be different results with the same data.

Long response for the day! :)

ASD...

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices - Software

The software portion of 7.6 was recently brought up in my department during an internal audit. Here's what it was regarding:

I am using a continuity tester that is controlled by computer software. I enter in continuity node data (point a goes to point b, etc.) into the software. From what I can determine from this post....
1) I do not have to verify the ability of the application software (per the last paragraph of 7.6.
2) I should be validating that my data file (the node information) meets the requirements of the wiring diagram. (Or not?)
3) I am unsure if there should be any records of the above validation. Or any records in general regarding the software mentioned here.

Any comments or suggestions for the above? This matter has never surfaced during registrar audits.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E ISO 13485 7.6 Control of monitoring and measuring equipment - Assess the Validity ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Calibration Interval - AS9100 - Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
D Does 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment align with ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
G Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment for Servicing Photocopiers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S ISO9001 Exclusion 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
M 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment - Monitoring vs. Measuring IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
G 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment vs. 7.6.1 Measurement Systems Analy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
B Clarification on 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices Note AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M Effective Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices - Unused Devices AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
J Compliance with ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring & Measuring Devices ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Control of Measuring and Monitoring Instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D Control of monitoring and measuring equipment - infrared thermometer for cross-check ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
R ISO 13485 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and measuring devices - Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
W Computer Software - ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Control of monitoring and measuring devices - Computer forensics company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
L Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices - Clause 7.6 Exclusion? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Suggestions for: Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices? (see 7.2.1) (1) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 33
3 Calibration Frequency - Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices - Clause 7.6 Calibration Frequency (Interval) 14
R TS 16949 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
A Outsourcing Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Control of Monitoring & Measuring Devices ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Calibrate Computers - ISO 9001 Clause 7.6. Control of Monitoring & Measuring Devices ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
R 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices in the Service Industry Service Industry Specific Topics 12
T IATF 16949 Control Plan and Process Monitoring Requirement(s) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
H ISO 9001:2008 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measurement (Computer Software) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Monitoring and Control of Utilities and Supplies (7.5.1) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Q Monthly Data Review through Control Charts - Monitoring Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
N Medical Device External Standards Control and Monitoring Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
P Control of Monitoring and Measurement Devices - ISO 13485 Clause 7.6 says ... ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Pest Control and Monitoring Required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Control of Monitoring & Measurement Equipment - ISO 9001:2008, Clause 7.6 c) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
C Monitoring changes in ANSI standards - Control of External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
R Deciding what Processes need Control and Monitoring - 820.70 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A Monitoring Out-of-control situations on X-bar and R chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
D 7.5.1.1 - Controls vs. Methods for Monitoring of Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Control of Monitoring Device - Workers (employees) eyes - Visual Inspection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
M Control of Monitoring and Measurment Manuals Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
E What are monitoring devices? ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 - Control of ... monitoring devices ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T Linking Control Plans and PFMEA's FMEA and Control Plans 2
L How to add exemption or statement to control of document procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T PFMEA and Control Plans on legacy product FMEA and Control Plans 5
P IATF 16949 requirement - error-proofing in control plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C 8.5.1.1 Control of Equipment, Tools, and Software Programs - Questions about the extent of control of NC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q Version/Revision Control of CAD files Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0
J Control Plan use on the manufacturing floor FMEA and Control Plans 4