SBS - The best value in QMS software

Control of monitoring and measuring devices - Computer forensics company

S

selena

Good morning everyone.

I'm hoping someone here can help me with an enquiry I have concerning clause 7.6 of the standard relating to control of monitoring and measuring devices.

I am putting together a QMS for the company I work for. We are a small computer forensics company based in the UK and examine computers/digital media on behalf of law enforcement.

I was wondering if I could exclude clause 7.6 from the QMS as technically we don't have any measuring devices that need to be controlled in the way that a food manufacturer would e.g. thermometers/weighing scales etc

However, we do rely on the capabilities of both hardware and software we use to accurately reveal the data stored on digital media and preserve the integrity of evidence.

We do periodically test the hardware/software we use to ensure that it is doing it's job. We do this by using digital media that has been previously wiped and then filled with a known quantity of files/pictures etc. If the forensic software we use can't see all the data on the digital media, we would question it's capabilities as a forensic tool. If the hardware/software we use alters the files on the digital media (e.g. changes the last accessed dates and times), we would question it's capabilities as a forensic tool.

Would this testing procedure qualify as a 'control of monitoring and measuring devices' or is clause 7.6 refering specifically to measuring devices that have to be calibrated and verified such as weighing scales/thermoeters etc?

Kind regards to you all & thank you in advance for all your help and advice

Selena

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

D.Scott

Re: Advice sought on clause 7.6 - control of monitoring and measuring devices

Good morning everyone.

I'm hoping someone here can help me with an enquiry I have concerning clause 7.6 of the standard relating to control of monitoring and measuring devices.

I am putting together a QMS for the company I work for. We are a small computer forensics company based in the UK and examine computers/digital media on behalf of law enforcement.

I was wondering if I could exclude clause 7.6 from the QMS as technically we don't have any measuring devices that need to be controlled in the way that a food manufacturer would e.g. thermometers/weighing scales etc

However, we do rely on the capabilities of both hardware and software we use to accurately reveal the data stored on digital media and preserve the integrity of evidence.

We do periodically test the hardware/software we use to ensure that it is doing it's job. We do this by using digital media that has been previously wiped and then filled with a known quantity of files/pictures etc. If the forensic software we use can't see all the data on the digital media, we would question it's capabilities as a forensic tool. If the hardware/software we use alters the files on the digital media (e.g. changes the last accessed dates and times), we would question it's capabilities as a forensic tool.

Would this testing procedure qualify as a 'control of monitoring and measuring devices' or is clause 7.6 refering specifically to measuring devices that have to be calibrated and verified such as weighing scales/thermoeters etc?

Kind regards to you all & thank you in advance for all your help and advice

Selena
Hi Selena, Nice first post. Welcome to the posting side of the Cove. From the content of this post I am hoping you take an active part in posting on the Cove. It appears to me you will be a great resource for our visitors.

You can exclude 7.6 from your QMS as long as you can justify excluding it. Remember, the exclusion can not affect your ability or responsibility to provide product (or service - my inclusion) that meets the requirements.

From what you describe, I would lean toward including it and addressing it as you have here. This requirement does include anything you determine to be necessary to ensure the requirements are being met. It, as you have indicated you already know, isn't just for common gages and equipment. 7.6 does not require calibration in all cases but does require a process. Your stated method sounds like you have already developed the "how" of the process. Document the verification method and include the "who", "what" and "when" and records and you should be well away.

Be sure you give good consideration to anything else you may use that may need periodic verification that it is giving accurate results.

Good luck,

Dave

S

selena

Hi Dave

Thank you for your lovely response.

Myself and the laboratory manager have been having a 'lively' conversation concerning this issue on and off throughout the day.

Whilst we rely on the reliability of the software/hardware we use to examine digital media, we don't regard the software/hardware we use as measuring devices/equipment. The reliability testing we undertake here has long been regarded by ourselves as routine maintenance. It's difficult to think of it within the sphere of 'control of a monitoring or measuring device'.

It's a difficult one, I think, to make a decision on. However, I think that for now we're probably going to exclude 7.6 and then, pending feedback from an external assessor (we're about to go for stage 1 audit) re-assess the situation if they decide we can't exclude clause 7.6.

Clause 7.6 is clearly a contentious issue. I found a number of posts on this forum querying the relevancy of the clause to their organisation.

I'll add to this thread after the assessor has been and let everyone know what they said and their reasoning/logic.

Kind regards to all

Selena

Z

zancky

my very modest opinion.
I 'm on mechanical field but from what you have written it seem to me that:

You are using a set of data to control the software/hardware as I can use a plug go no-go gage

therefore if you establish that a particular set of files/data will be used to control the software/hardware, You have a standard gage

if it is a gage you must check it will not be changed by somebody into the lab. it shall be stored in special way and check on regular time for integrity

therefore you don't need to ask for exception

harry

Super Moderator
Instead of trying to force-feed or extrapolate what people in the manufacturing environment does to suit your use or industry, try to find out whether ISO had any guidelines for the application of ISO 9001 in your particular industry.

Is ISO/IEC 90003: 2004 (Software engineering. Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001:2000 to computer software) applicable to you? If yes, see what it say.

Almost all ISO 9001 systems for education that I had seen over here exclude clause 7.6 and it makes sense if you extrapolate from the engineering or manufacturing perspective. But if you read the guidelines of IWA2 (Guidelines for application of ISO 9001: 2000 in Education), it should not and the reasons put forward makes a lot of sense.

Tip: You may not have measuring devices but monitoring is usually there (especially service environment)!

Last edited:
Selena - I agree with Dave and, yes you do have an interesting post!

I have has a similar discussion with the lab director of an organization which does pretty much the same type of thing..............(but I can't say who!)

We excluded calibration. That would be my recommendation too.

S

selena

Thank you to all of you who responded to my post

Thank you too Dave concerning exclusion of calibration clause.

It's good to know that we're on the right track with our QMS.

Having read your responses, I'm going to exclude clause 7.6 from our QMS.

After the external assessor has visited for our stage 1 audit, I'll update this thread and let everyone know how it went/what they said concerning this issue.

Thanks again to everyone who responded, your advice has been great.

Kind regards

Selena

S

selena

Quick update on this thread.

We had our stage 1 audit the other day.

Apart from providing me with a deceptively small list of changes I need to make, the auditor agreed that we could exclude calibration from the QMS.

It's now all systems go for the stage 2 audit at the end of December.

Can't wait to get it finished.

Roll on xmas :biglaugh:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E ISO 13485 7.6 Control of monitoring and measuring equipment - Assess the Validity ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Calibration Interval - AS9100 - Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
D Does 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment align with ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
G Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment for Servicing Photocopiers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S ISO9001 Exclusion 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
M 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment - Monitoring vs. Measuring IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
G 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment vs. 7.6.1 Measurement Systems Analy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
B Clarification on 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices Note AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M Effective Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices - Unused Devices AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
J Compliance with ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring & Measuring Devices ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Control of Measuring and Monitoring Instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D Control of monitoring and measuring equipment - infrared thermometer for cross-check ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
R ISO 13485 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and measuring devices - Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
W Computer Software - ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
L Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices - Clause 7.6 Exclusion? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Suggestions for: Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices? (see 7.2.1) (1) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 33
3 Calibration Frequency - Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices - Clause 7.6 Calibration Frequency (Interval) 14
R TS 16949 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
A Outsourcing Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Control of Monitoring & Measuring Devices ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Calibrate Computers - ISO 9001 Clause 7.6. Control of Monitoring & Measuring Devices ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
R 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices in the Service Industry Service Industry Specific Topics 12
E Control of Monitoring and Measuring Device Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
C Monitoring and Control Instruments RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
T IATF 16949 Control Plan and Process Monitoring Requirement(s) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
H ISO 9001:2008 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measurement (Computer Software) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Monitoring and Control of Utilities and Supplies (7.5.1) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Q Monthly Data Review through Control Charts - Monitoring Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
N Medical Device External Standards Control and Monitoring Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
P Control of Monitoring and Measurement Devices - ISO 13485 Clause 7.6 says ... ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Pest Control and Monitoring Required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Control of Monitoring & Measurement Equipment - ISO 9001:2008, Clause 7.6 c) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
C Monitoring changes in ANSI standards - Control of External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
R Deciding what Processes need Control and Monitoring - 820.70 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A Monitoring Out-of-control situations on X-bar and R chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
D 7.5.1.1 - Controls vs. Methods for Monitoring of Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Control of Monitoring Device - Workers (employees) eyes - Visual Inspection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
M Control of Monitoring and Measurment Manuals Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
E What are monitoring devices? ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 - Control of ... monitoring devices ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
I Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Controlling Expandable Forms in Paper-Based Document Control System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
N ISO 13485 7.3.9 Change control in medical device software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C UDI Questions on Control Units Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
A Quality Control Datasheets Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
M Control-self assessment Internal Auditing 5
GreatNate Master Control QMS software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
A Prototype control plan FMEA and Control Plans 2
J Records Control - Does each individual record need to be numbered? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
shimonv Document Control Procedure Header Content Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3