Control of Non-conforming Goods (Product) - Tracking what happens to the goods

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Control of Non-conforming Goods - Tracking what happens to the goods

It seems that we will need to log everything that is rejected or that we internally reclassify?
A log could work. We use nonconforming product tags and record the disposition on them.

qcman

Registered Visitor

We place a nc ticket on any load coming in that maybe in question and is not moved until id'ed just in case. If we tag something only because its not yet identified I often will just tare the tag up once its id.:cool: As for a log everything is logged when/how much/where its going.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin

On similar lines, once a NC material is detected, the applicable department (Manufacturing / QC) paste a "HOLD" sticker and raise a NC form and refers to the Material Review Board. The goods are transferred to the Warehouse area which has this MRB area (cage and locked). One copy of this form goes to Warehouse Supervisor for their records.

Based on the outcome of MRB, the goods are either RTV (Return to Vendor) or Scrap etc. and accordingly the labelling status gets changed. All these areas are also caged with locking facility. All the pertinent records flow along with the records.

W

Wingaction1970

I would suggest reading through the standard and taking notes or better yet, use a yellow highlighter. Control of nonconforming product; it's not controlled if it sits in the receiving area not identified as nonconforming. It could be thrown back in the mix of conforming product if it's not segregated and identified as a nonconformance. We use a three layer nonconforming carbon copy tag, which is distributed to nonconforming product, quality manager and MRB. We also use yellow caution tape. If you receive product back as nonconforming and disposition is made the same day to scrap, then it would benefit your company and customers to record this data (part numbers) mainly for continual improvement purposes. Example; if you have a part returned more than once for the same or different reasons, then how would you ever know to correct these issues, which could lead you to other opportunity for improvements with this particular part? You can record this data in a database or even an excel spreadsheet. Thank-you!

qcman

Registered Visitor

NC hold areas do not need to be *locked cages* as I have heard many people say.Our area is simply outlined in red paint.

J

Joe Cruse

We do log NC material in our system, whether supplies or product. You don't have to get complicated about it though, in either the tracking system or coming up with a "bells & whistles" holding area.

With incoming NC supplies, we generally tag and isolate the material, hold a Mgt review on it to decide disposition, and note the decision on our actions with the NC material in our log. It will either be used or the supplier will come get it.

With NC product, we tag and isolate the material as NC, and hold a Mgt review to decide disposition (regrade, remelt, or call customer for concession). Again, we keep a Product NC log, which captures the details of this, without much fuss.

R

rharold

It overwelmingly sounds like everyone has a (1) Quality Hold Area along with a (2) Log and some type of a (3) NC Tag to control non-conforming goods. Although it doesnt explicitly state in the standard that you need these 3 things, they seem to work well for others as well as meet the standard's requirements and also are good business practice. I believe we will implement something very similar to the 3 things others are doing to control NC goods. It would be a shame to have something this simple bring up a major non-conformance during an audit. Thanks for the help all.

dkavanaugh73

Starting to get Involved

Hi,

I'm trying to locate an RMA form that I may benchmark off of. I need to create/update our form which is outdated and not very user friendly. If anyone has any samples they can share, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks,
;)

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource

Hi,

I'm trying to locate an RMA form that I may benchmark off of. I need to create/update our form which is outdated and not very user friendly. If anyone has any samples they can share, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks,
;)

Here is one we use.

Attachments

• RMA 002400.pdf
    8.2 KB · Views: 303
Top Bottom