SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Control of Non Conforming Process Procedure

P

pagnonig

Dear Folks,

I'm the QM of a manufacturing organization.
I was asked to write a procedure in order to control non conforming PROCESSES (every process defined in our organization process map).
I have three basic requirements:

1. Identify and record the process variation that generate the process NC
2. Evaluate if this NC has generated a PRODUCT NC
3. Identify and Control the NC product according to existing procedure

Do you have sample procedures covering points 1 and 2 in order to give me some inspiration to start?

Thank you.
Giuseppe:thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

justncredible

Re: Seeking Help: Control of Non Conforming Process Procedure

You want the SPC forum, SPC Monitoring and Statistical Analysis Techniques

Depending on what and how your company makes stuff is the basis for the program you will need and use to find the NC in your process. Once you have a metrics in place to find the NC of the process then you must identify how and why the NC are made in the process, once you have done that eliminate the cause of the defects. That is the basics of quality, since you do not know them I suggest you hire someone who does and take credit for the success. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin

Since SPC is based on events and not all processes would have measurables that would be served well with SPC, I suggest a different approach.

Here is a thread titled Preventive Action (PA) and Corrective Action (CA) - One or Two Procedures? Within that thread is a flow chart procedure for Preventive Action that I would like you to look at.

It's important to recognize that not all variation results in NC. Thus, preventive action can be taken by noting something in a process that should be improved, even if it has not yet produced flawed product or service.

The evaluation of needs and steps for preventive and corrective actions are not profoundly different. You could read and consider the steps and decide what would work for your organization.

I hope this helps!

J

justncredible

Since SPC is based on events and not all processes would have measurables that would be served well with SPC, I suggest a different approach.

I can not think of anything without a process and some way to apply some form of SPC to study it.

If it is a go/no-go (attributes) process you can still run a SPC program for it.

If he tells us what his process is, I bet someone here will be able to lay out a general SPC plan, based on the process. What he describes sounds to me they want a SPC program.

P

pagnonig

Thank you for the answers.

In principle I agree with both of you.

Jennifer, the FC is great and I think it would fit my needs.
What I need to do first is to define when a process variation (a KPI variation) means that my process in NC.

I have metrics for every QMS process.

For example, what I would do for "On Time Delivery" metric is:

1. set a monthly minimum acceptable level.
2. Set a monthly target for optimal performance
3. Check performance against these two levels

I would consider the Planning process NC if it does not meet the minimum Acceptable level (CAR Issued).
I would consider the planning process ok if it would be above the minimum level.
If the process consistently meet the target (i.e. 6 consecutive months), minimum and target levels are reviewed.

Any thoughts?
Thank you.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

I can not think of anything without a process and some way to apply some form of SPC to study it.

If it is a go/no-go (attributes) process you can still run a SPC program for it.

If he tells us what his process is, I bet someone here will be able to lay out a general SPC plan, based on the process. What he describes sounds to me they want a SPC program.
I think the misunderstanding perhaps comes from an overly narrow view or definition of "SPC." Every repetitive process has characteristics that can be measured, and those measurements may be evaluated through statistical analysis. This doesn't necessarily mean Shewhart, n or p charts; it can be as simple as plotting data and observing patterns or trends. For example, if a process is supposed to be yielding n conformingparts per hour and the actual output is n-x, plotting the output over several shifts, hours or days might reveal patterns that will help identify the problem(s). In its broadest sense, this is SPC.

Jen Kirley

Staff member
Admin
I'm glad the link helped you. Yes, I have questions.

1. How are your targets set?
2. How often do you look at the process's performance and decide if something needs improving? Does anything prevent you from targeting a process for a different reason? If so, what sort of reasons might that mean?

Deming cautioned against Management by Objective for good reason. If a numerical target becomes the ideal, what role does the process user play in deciding an opportunity for improvement is apparent? Any?

Have you tried putting this in practice? Let's consider what it might look like.

A billing system is examined after a month to see if cycle time is satisfactory. The manager decides it is not, because the cycle time has missed targets--it takes too long to send out the invoices. The manager initiates action to improve the process.

This leads me to a number of questions:

a) Why wait a month?
b) Who gets to determine an action is needed because a cycle time target is missed? Is there a limit to this authority?
c) Did the billing clerk know there was a problem and say nothing because a limit such as in (b) existed, or was assumed?
d) What could have been gained if the billing clerk had been allowed to alert the manager--or better yet, take some initiative if he/she has the authority, to solve a problem that lengthens cycle time?

I can appreciate the wish to make a well defined improvement plan, but I want to stress that some flexibility can be very helpful. Avoid stipulations (they can be guidelines) that lock you into action, or inaction, or unncecessary delay.

I hope this makes sense!

Jen Kirley

Staff member
Admin

I think the misunderstanding perhaps comes from an overly narrow view or definition of "SPC." Every repetitive process has characteristics that can be measured, and those measurements may be evaluated through statistical analysis. This doesn't necessarily mean Shewhart, n or p charts; it can be as simple as plotting data and observing patterns or trends. For example, if a process is supposed to be yielding n conformingparts per hour and the actual output is n-x, plotting the output over several shifts, hours or days might reveal patterns that will help identify the problem(s). In its broadest sense, this is SPC.
I agree that I do not easily envision statistical management of nonproduction processes such as materials procurement. While outcomes could indeed be trended, they are often very hard to control like production processes are. So, I would tend to grade them in qualitative fashion instead of using the kind of data that would be charted.

P

pagnonig

Jim, Jennifer I definitely agree with both of you.

I set targets on my KPI once per year during annual management review.
Then I check performance each month during quality management review.

Coming back to the examples (my OTD index on monthly orders and Jennifer's Billing process) I think that a monthly performance evaluation is fairly reasonable.
Unfortunately the reaction time in terms of corrective actions is not that fast but I would find it rather difficult to increase the process reviews in terms of cost/benefit ratio.

Of course real life may be full of surprises... so maybe the right choice is to start with a definite criteria and then check if it works or further adjustments are necessary...

What do you think?
Thnak you again for your valuable help on this subject!

J

justncredible

Check out a performance index weighted, then use the values you get to chart aganst your goals. You can even tie in a pareto for causes of failures.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Control of stock (Off the Shelf) Non-Conforming Material & Product Tags ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Combined Procedure - Control of Non-conforming Product, Corrective and Preventive Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
A Non-Conforming Material Control and Inventory Software System Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
K Link between Control of Documents, CPAR & Control of Non-Conforming Product Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J API Q1 - Control of Non-Conforming Product - Use-As-Is or Repair Dispositions Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
J Positive Control of Non Conforming Material at Machines AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
J AS9100 Control of Non Conforming Product - Personnel who make Disposition Decisions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 31
J Kindly Review my Control of Non-Conforming Product Procedure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
Q Nonconforming Material Control - Gap in the Control of Non-Conforming Materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B Control of Non-Conforming Material - Location issue AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
V Control of Non Conforming Product procedure explaining the process for approval Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
L How to apply the clause "control of non-conforming product" on services company ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A Control of Non Conforming Service Procedure to Review Service Industry Specific Topics 10
M Nonconforming Services - Procedure for Control of Non Conforming Products Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
K How far should we go to control Non-Conforming Material? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
R Non conforming product control for services - Looking for ideas and suggestions 8.3 Service Industry Specific Topics 4
R Control of Non-conforming Goods (Product) - Tracking what happens to the goods ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
S Control of Non Conforming Product Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Control of Non-conforming product procedure in a R&D company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Control of Non-conforming product - Shared services centre processes transactions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Y Seeking help with control of non-conforming product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Y Control of the Non-conforming Product Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
S Control of Non-Conforming Product - Report to do about ISO elements Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
A What measurables have you identified for "Control of non-conforming product" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A ISO 9000:2000 Clause 8.3 - Control of Non-Conforming Product Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
N Apply control limits to a non-normal distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
T IATF16949:2016 8.7.1.4 Control of non-applicable reworked product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
optomist1 TS 16949 Control Plans - Non-Production Parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Class II Medical Device Design Control Non Conformance 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
P Non Conformance Reporting in GMP in the Control of Materials Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Chennaiite Control Chart for Non-Manufacturing Process Indicators - Is it worth? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S External Audit Non-Conformance - Control Plan and Inspection Issues IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Finding Control Limits for a Non-Normal Distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A From Quality Assurance to Quality Control and Manufacturing to Non-manufacturing Career and Occupation Discussions 17
J Can "7.5.1.2 cleanliness of product and contamination control" be non-applicable? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B Control of Non-Certificated Maintenance Contractors Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 21
E Control Plan and FMEA (non automotive) FMEA and Control Plans 9
C Designing control chart for non-normal variables Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Manix Ideas On Wiring Configuration Control - Help STOP a Non Conformance! Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
F Control Plan for non automotive customer FMEA and Control Plans 9
U Quality control with non-normal, censored and truncated data examples needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S Is there a control chart for non-independent data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
D Control charts for non-normal distributions - Do I need to do anything special? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
A Non-conformance logged following a TS16949 Stage 2 audit - APQP Control Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
J Examples and help for non-manufacturing control plans FMEA and Control Plans 7
M Control charts for attributes: is this possible on a non automated job? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
E Tough Quality Control - The MYTH of China Executing 'Non-performing' People Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
A Non-normal Distributions in Statistical Process Control Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
A Out of Control patterns for non-normal distributions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
D Control Charts for Non-Normal Distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3