Control of Nonconforming Product in a Tool Shop - Scrap Dies

L

Lexylou

I am in the documentation process of ISO 9001:2008 for a tool shop. The question that was brought up to me: If we determine that a tool (die) is scrap and we scrap the die out why do we need to mark it and create a location to place it in to control it (Scrap area). Can we just say we immediately throw it out?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Control of nonconforming product

Can we just say we immediately throw it out?
How can you be sure that somebody who isn't aware will pick it up and put it back into circulation (use) again, thinking that somebody else must had misplaced it.

L

Lexylou

Believe me I know what your saying. I am currently a 10Yr. ISO rep for the sister company that runs production from those dies that they make where we have hold areas and scrap areas. The tool shop really doesn't understand that they need to segregate their scrap because they actually tell me (please keep your laughing to a minimal here) that they do not scrap anything. They say that they are not a production company and ISO only applies to production companies.

I am in the documentation process of ISO 9001:2008 for a tool shop. The question that was brought up to me: If we determine that a tool (die) is scrap and we scrap the die out why do we need to mark it and create a location to place it in to control it (Scrap area). Can we just say we immediately throw it out?
Bottom line is you don't have to mark it or create a location to place it. ISO 9001 (I know this is not an ISO 9001 thread) requires you to identify and control it to prevent its unintended use or delivery. That is a pretty broad requirement, but it makes sense.... even if you are not ISO 9001 compliant.

So the question is, what do you do to prevent the unintended use of scrap dies? If you immediately throw them out, where do you throw them to? Is that not a location to place it in to control it? If you throw it into a scrap bin, then it is identified (provided the bin is known to be the scrap bin), and is controlled (provided you don't let folks take things out of the scrap bin for use). Your controls do not have to much more complex than that.

I have a client that is a machining center. They use two-tiered carts. The top tier is for "foundry" scrap (parts that they cannot machine and have to go back to the supplier). The bottom tier is for "machine" scrap (scap they create). Each machining center has one of these carts, and that is how they handle nonconfomring product at the operator level.

Hope that helps.

L

Lexylou

Dave if I may continue on this same scrap issue,

If they have this die where a mistake was detected in one area of the die and are waiting for customer disposition, if they choose to take the risk to continue to work on other area's of the die (not knowing yet if the customer is going to buy off this mistake) if I write that they continue to work on the job while waiting for customer disposition into their procedure will that pass an ISO/AS auditor?:frust:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J Control of nonconforming product issue (AS91000) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
T Control of Nonconforming Product Output (Components Parts) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
L Containment and Control of Nonconforming Product(s) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Quarantine Zone - Control of Nonconforming Product Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
D Control of Nonconforming product (5.10 API Q1) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
Q Do cut-in ECOs trigger "control of nonconforming product" procedure? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P ISO9001 in Quality Control Department - Control of Nonconforming Product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
somashekar Can Process Deviation be handled under control of Nonconforming Product? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
F Nonconforming Product Procedure vs. Control of Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Request for clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M How to Control Nonconforming Product? TS 16949 Clause 8.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Boundary of Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
Q AS9100 Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product Process for Approving Personnel AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S AS9100 Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product Q AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
Q AS9100 Clause 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Clarification wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
N Control of Nonconforming Product in a Service Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Documented Procedure for Control of Nonconforming Product - Electricity Generation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Excluding Control of Nonconforming Product? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
L AS9100 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Responsibilities AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
E Medical Device Software - Control of Nonconforming Product and Rework ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D 8.3 Control of nonconforming product Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
R Control of Nonconforming Product - Customer and/or Regulatory Approval ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Defect Control Record - How to track nonconforming product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T Control Of Nonconforming Material / Product - Feedback on my Procedure Please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
S Control of Nonconforming Product - Seeking Information and Example Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
Douglas E. Purdy Sampling Plans & Control of Nonconforming Product Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 21
M Control of Nonconforming product, Clause 8.3 - Audit finding - No Procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
Douglas E. Purdy How AQL Inspection & Test corresponds to Control of Nonconforming Product AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 11
M Control of nonconforming product - Software Company - ISO 9001, Clause 8.3 Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
R Willful case of circumvention of our Control of Nonconforming Product procedure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 18
Z AS9100 Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Rework Dispositions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
S ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.7 Control of Nonconforming Outputs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
J AS9100 Cl. 8.7 - Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Counterfeit Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J Document Control Newbie - Control of Nonconforming / Returns Log AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
J Procedure for Control of Nonconforming Materials and Products - Example wanted Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
N Nonconforming Material (NCM) Control in very Small Manufacturing Companies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P Control of Nonconforming Products - AS91000 Clause 8.3 Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Q Nonconforming Material Control - Gap in the Control of Non-Conforming Materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
R ISO 17025 section 4.9 - Control of Nonconforming Testing and Calibration Work ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
D Control of nonconforming services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Procedure for Control of Nonconforming Software Services Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
K Scrap Material Areas - How to control nonconforming material ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
F Control of Nonconforming Items In Lean Environment Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
M Nonconforming Services - Procedure for Control of Non Conforming Products Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
A Positive Control of in-process nonconforming parts until rendered physically unusable Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
K How would one draw a turtle diagram for 'Control of nonconforming products' Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
K Define control of nonconforming service in public service such as government Service Industry Specific Topics 7
Douglas E. Purdy 4.9 Control of Nonconforming Testing - Work General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Linking control chart with control plan Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5