Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory
Social Distancing - It's not just YOUR life - It's ALL of OUR lives!
Me <——————— 6 Feet ———————-> You

Control of nonconforming product issue (AS91000)

Jcornett344

Starting to get Involved
Here's my issue.

I work at a plastic injection / CNC machine shop. A few years ago when we were getting ready to conform to AS9100C and receive our first audit, the solution we were given by our consultant to address the need for control of nonconforming product was to build a type of cage that would remain locked. In this cage we stored design critical scrapped parts to prevent them from being accidentally included in a shipment of conforming parts. We also would keep any nonconforming raw materials (plastics/metals) that we received to quarantine them and prevent them from being used until remedied.

We have now finished relocating to a different facility and the cage is no longer an option.

Here's my question.

Does anyone have experience addressing this matter in any other ways besides a full on structure like we did before?

We aren't a big company nor do we have large volumes of nonconforming product at any given time.

Pjservan

Involved In Discussions
There is no requirement for a "cage" is AS 9100. There are two items that you need to be aware of- segregation of nonconforming parts in manner to prevent them from getting back in the normal flow of production (using them by mistake.) And if a nonconforming product is determined to be scrapped AS does require for them to "be conspicuously and permanently marked, or positively controlled, until physically rendered unusable." If you have means to do this effectively by not using a cage then you will be OK.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I agree with Pjservan comment with only one additional aspect: the possibility of "suspect" products also having to be positively controlled. Suspect products are those which might be nonconforming, but not fully dispositioned yet. As an example, you might have a lot of 100 parts and the customer accepted sampling plan shows the lot to be rejected, while you know that you might use a good percentage of the lot by a sorting process. In other words, you disposition the lot by performing 100% sorting.

As for the issue of controlling parts dispositioned as scrap, mutilation of the parts seem to be one of the best methods for plastic injected parts, especially if regrinding is possible.

Jcornett344

Starting to get Involved
I agree with Pjservan comment with only one additional aspect: the possibility of "suspect" products also having to be positively controlled. Suspect products are those which might be nonconforming, but not fully dispositioned yet. As an example, you might have a lot of 100 parts and the customer accepted sampling plan shows the lot to be rejected, while you know that you might use a good percentage of the lot by a sorting process. In other words, you disposition the lot by performing 100% sorting.

As for the issue of controlling parts dispositioned as scrap, mutilation of the parts seem to be one of the best methods for plastic injected parts, especially if regrinding is possible.

The thing about regrinding plastic parts is that we pile a bunch up first before regrinding. Would simple segregation paired with conspicuous labeling do the trick?

Eredhel

Quality Manager
Is it a size of part issue? You could also get 50 gallon drums and drop NC parts inside them. I've actually bought cheap cable locks to secure their lids before. Although even that locking is not required by the standard, it was just something we did for our own needs. You definitely have more options than you may have initially been led to think.

Prashant G

Starting to get Involved
Here's my issue.

I work at a plastic injection / CNC machine shop. A few years ago when we were getting ready to conform to AS9100C and receive our first audit, the solution we were given by our consultant to address the need for control of nonconforming product was to build a type of cage that would remain locked. In this cage we stored design critical scrapped parts to prevent them from being accidentally included in a shipment of conforming parts. We also would keep any nonconforming raw materials (plastics/metals) that we received to quarantine them and prevent them from being used until remedied.

We have now finished relocating to a different facility and the cage is no longer an option.

Here's my question.

Does anyone have experience addressing this matter in any other ways besides a full on structure like we did before?

We aren't a big company nor do we have large volumes of nonconforming product at any given time.

Prashant G

Starting to get Involved
Hello,

I can suggest on this.
You can go for red bin in small size or based on suitable size you wish as per your parts requirement.
You can place it in shop or in your quality area where you can can stored your NC parts.
hope this you proper input as expected.

Top Bottom