Control of Product Drawings - Engineers don't follow the same protocol

J

jsn80

I have a question about a potential problem for ISO certification in regards to the control of product drawings. Our current handling methods of product drawings are very poor. Engineers don't follow the same protocol for saving the drawings so names and save locations vary (some to a point where they are on the persons PC instead of the server).

We have a plan of action to attach drawings into our business software (used for orders, accounting, purchasing, inventory and product catalog) which will allow for the proper control of revisions and availability to the user. The problem is this won't be fully implemented until 3rd quarter 2010 (so probably later since big projects never hit on schedule :D). We plan on having our registration audit in the first quarter of 2010.

Due to a lack of resources the department doesn't want to waste time on a temporary solution. My own un-experienced opinion tells me we would fail the registration audit if a temporary solution is not implemented prior to the registration audit. I come to you for your thoughts, experiences and opinions.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Control of Product Drawings

I fear you are right, an auditor can only report on what is there at the time, not on promises of what will be there. Certainly, the auditor should give credit for your planned improvement but as you know, clause 4.2.3 requires documents to be controlled and if they are not, you will most likely get an N/C.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

I agree with Colin, assuming the drawings you are talking about are engineering drawings that detail quality characteristics.

However - if you can prove that revision control is consistent and it's only an issue where the electronic files are kept you may be able to skate by until your plan can be realized.
I would do an audit to see how in control they are.

J

jsn80

Revision history and updates are okay, I think. The main problem is making sure the current version is available at the point of use and the obsolete documents aren't used.

Not all drawings are accessible to the people that use them, sometimes it's just the creator. I've suggested they implement a temporary fix to have the drawings more available, but I'm getting push back due to the lack of resources. I wanted to gather your opinions on the risk so I can go back on them on how it will effect our implementation.

B

Boscoeee

Revision history and updates are okay, I think. The main problem is making sure the current version is available at the point of use and the obsolete documents aren't used.

Not all drawings are accessible to the people that use them, sometimes it's just the creator. I've suggested they implement a temporary fix to have the drawings more available, but I'm getting push back due to the lack of resources. I wanted to gather your opinions on the risk so I can go back on them on how it will effect our implementation.
Pretty simple problem, remember there is nothing earth shattering with getting an NC (opportunities), sometimes that is what it take for a group to get moving in the right direction. Failure is often an option in the initial start up of a program that requires change........ Remember to focus on those things that you can influence and change........ not those things that you can not.:agree1:

Good Luck,

Ralph

D

ddunn

As a temp fix can you set up a Configuration Management server to store the official then maintain the change records (ECRs, ECOs) in a spreadsheet. It's a very manual system and is cumbersome but it works.

When I first started working in CM we didn't have any tools like PDM, PLM, Version Control, spreadsheets or servers. We used locked cabinets and paper.

J

jsn80

Pretty simple problem, remember there is nothing earth shattering with getting an NC (opportunities), sometimes that is what it take for a group to get moving in the right direction. Failure is often an option in the initial start up of a program that requires change........ Remember to focus on those things that you can influence and change........ not those things that you can not.:agree1:

Good Luck,

Ralph
What about in the registration audit? Recognizing this problem now gives them time for a solution. I'd hate for registration to get delayed over a problem I've recognized many months prior.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

What about in the registration audit? Recognizing this problem now gives them time for a solution. I'd hate for registration to get delayed over a problem I've recognized many months prior.
It does make a difference if it's a registration audit. What you need to do now is:

1. Identify the method and extent of control you presently have.
  2. Compare that to the requirements in the standard, being particularly (but not exclusively) alert to how the present system prevents inadvertent use of non-current drawings.
  3. Adjust what you're currently doing as needed.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator

Hi, jsn :bigwave:
Not all drawings are accessible to the people that use them, sometimes it's just the creator.
How does anyone get work done if they need drawings they don't have access to?
jsn80 said:
I've suggested they implement a temporary fix to have the drawings more available, but I'm getting push back due to the lack of resources.
How come they don't have access? What is your suggested temporary fix and what is the lack of resources?

J

jsn80

Hi, jsn :bigwave:
How does anyone get work done if they need drawings they don't have access to?
In most cases they have binders full of printed drawings that is scary to think about how many are out of date.

How come they don't have access? What is your suggested temporary fix and what is the lack of resources?
The engineers in the past have not all followed the same protocol. Part of that problem is we were two separate companies that got bought out by the same people and we were merged together. After that happened people kept doing things their old way. Some people save drawings to private servers that are restricted access to only the engineers. Some just save the drawings on the hard drive of their computer so no other individual can access, but that person.

My suggestion was to have all drawing relocated to a single server location so everyone will have access and know where to find them. Many of us have a program to view read-only copies of the CAD files so they won't have to worry about making pdf's or anything. Their problem with this is that they have a lot of linked documents and moving them will break those links.

The lack of resources come from a shortage of people in the department. They were in the process of hiring a person whose main responsibility was the creation and maintenance of the drawings. The hiring was put on hold after the recent departure of the manager.

I thank everyone for their input they have provided on this subject. I'm going to keep pushing this issue, because I don't want this to slow my implementation anymore than it already has.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Supplier Control for Unique Product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Process & Product Characteristic in Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 17
T PFMEA and Control Plans on legacy product FMEA and Control Plans 5
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Q Relabeler for patent expired product - design control responsibilities? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Supplied Product on Control Plan - Lot ranging in 40,000 pcs per product FMEA and Control Plans 3
D Change Control - Product Name Change and its associated labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 7
B How to do a control chart - Machining product that requires flatness control Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
J Control of nonconforming product issue (AS91000) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
D ISO: 13485:2016 Sec. 7.5.2 (C) - Requirements for cleanliness of product or contamination control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T IATF16949:2016 8.7.1.4 Control of non-applicable reworked product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A AS9100 Rev D - Procedure for Product Safety & Control of Counterfeit Part (Format) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
I IATF 16949 Cl. 8.7.1.4 Control of reworked product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Control of Nonconforming Product Output (Components Parts) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V For a Drug-Device Combination Product, 'Design Control' Process is triggered at? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Medical Product Desiccant Control and Verification Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
SATHYABALARAMAN 8.7.1.4 Control of Reworked Product & 8.7.1.5 Control of Repaired Product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L Containment and Control of Nonconforming Product(s) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Quarantine Zone - Control of Nonconforming Product Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
N Control of stock (Off the Shelf) Non-Conforming Material & Product Tags ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q 8.3 - Control of nonconformity product or material/part? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
D Control of Nonconforming product (5.10 API Q1) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
N Dual ISO 9001 (Manufacturing) and ISO 13485 (Design Control) for same product line ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
H Combined Procedure - Control of Non-conforming Product, Corrective and Preventive Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
H 87% Confidence Level for the Product Quality Control for Various Products Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
Q Do cut-in ECOs trigger "control of nonconforming product" procedure? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L Use of checksum(s) to control product change(s) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
N Control of Documents Scope - Product Specifications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P ISO9001 in Quality Control Department - Control of Nonconforming Product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
somashekar Can Process Deviation be handled under control of Nonconforming Product? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S What are your thoughts on Process vs Product Control Plans ? FMEA and Control Plans 3
M Validating a Product through Tool Control and Tool Inspections Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
F Nonconforming Product Procedure vs. Control of Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Control and Traceability of Sign-ups for Sales of a Product Career and Occupation Discussions 9
Q 8.3 Control of NC product and 7.4.3 Verif. of purchased product, same treatment? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M 8.3 Control of NC Product - Who is the Relevant Authority for Concession? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Request for clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M How to Control Nonconforming Product? TS 16949 Clause 8.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Boundary of Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A Quality Control Material (Product Code OHQ) Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Q AS9100 Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product Process for Approving Personnel AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
C ISO 13485 Clause 7.5.1.2.1 Cleanliness of Product and Contamination Control Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Link between Control of Documents, CPAR & Control of Non-Conforming Product Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J API Q1 - Control of Non-Conforming Product - Use-As-Is or Repair Dispositions Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
R Cleanliness of Product & Service and Contamination Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S AS9100 Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product Q AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
Q AS9100 Clause 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Clarification wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
J AS9100 Control of Non Conforming Product - Personnel who make Disposition Decisions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 31
C Product Safety Control example procedure wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4