Control of Product Drawings - Engineers don't follow the same protocol

J

jsn80

I have a question about a potential problem for ISO certification in regards to the control of product drawings. Our current handling methods of product drawings are very poor. Engineers don't follow the same protocol for saving the drawings so names and save locations vary (some to a point where they are on the persons PC instead of the server).

We have a plan of action to attach drawings into our business software (used for orders, accounting, purchasing, inventory and product catalog) which will allow for the proper control of revisions and availability to the user. The problem is this won't be fully implemented until 3rd quarter 2010 (so probably later since big projects never hit on schedule :D). We plan on having our registration audit in the first quarter of 2010.

Due to a lack of resources the department doesn't want to waste time on a temporary solution. My own un-experienced opinion tells me we would fail the registration audit if a temporary solution is not implemented prior to the registration audit. I come to you for your thoughts, experiences and opinions.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Control of Product Drawings

I fear you are right, an auditor can only report on what is there at the time, not on promises of what will be there. Certainly, the auditor should give credit for your planned improvement but as you know, clause 4.2.3 requires documents to be controlled and if they are not, you will most likely get an N/C.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

I agree with Colin, assuming the drawings you are talking about are engineering drawings that detail quality characteristics.

However - if you can prove that revision control is consistent and it's only an issue where the electronic files are kept you may be able to skate by until your plan can be realized.
I would do an audit to see how in control they are.

J

jsn80

Revision history and updates are okay, I think. The main problem is making sure the current version is available at the point of use and the obsolete documents aren't used.

Not all drawings are accessible to the people that use them, sometimes it's just the creator. I've suggested they implement a temporary fix to have the drawings more available, but I'm getting push back due to the lack of resources. I wanted to gather your opinions on the risk so I can go back on them on how it will effect our implementation.

B

Boscoeee

Revision history and updates are okay, I think. The main problem is making sure the current version is available at the point of use and the obsolete documents aren't used.

Not all drawings are accessible to the people that use them, sometimes it's just the creator. I've suggested they implement a temporary fix to have the drawings more available, but I'm getting push back due to the lack of resources. I wanted to gather your opinions on the risk so I can go back on them on how it will effect our implementation.

Pretty simple problem, remember there is nothing earth shattering with getting an NC (opportunities), sometimes that is what it take for a group to get moving in the right direction. Failure is often an option in the initial start up of a program that requires change........ Remember to focus on those things that you can influence and change........ not those things that you can not.:agree1:

Good Luck,

Ralph

D

ddunn

As a temp fix can you set up a Configuration Management server to store the official then maintain the change records (ECRs, ECOs) in a spreadsheet. It's a very manual system and is cumbersome but it works.

When I first started working in CM we didn't have any tools like PDM, PLM, Version Control, spreadsheets or servers. We used locked cabinets and paper.

J

jsn80

Pretty simple problem, remember there is nothing earth shattering with getting an NC (opportunities), sometimes that is what it take for a group to get moving in the right direction. Failure is often an option in the initial start up of a program that requires change........ Remember to focus on those things that you can influence and change........ not those things that you can not.:agree1:

Good Luck,

Ralph

What about in the registration audit? Recognizing this problem now gives them time for a solution. I'd hate for registration to get delayed over a problem I've recognized many months prior.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

What about in the registration audit? Recognizing this problem now gives them time for a solution. I'd hate for registration to get delayed over a problem I've recognized many months prior.
It does make a difference if it's a registration audit. What you need to do now is:

1. Identify the method and extent of control you presently have.
  2. Compare that to the requirements in the standard, being particularly (but not exclusively) alert to how the present system prevents inadvertent use of non-current drawings.
  3. Adjust what you're currently doing as needed.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator

Hi, jsn :bigwave:
Not all drawings are accessible to the people that use them, sometimes it's just the creator.
How does anyone get work done if they need drawings they don't have access to?
jsn80 said:
I've suggested they implement a temporary fix to have the drawings more available, but I'm getting push back due to the lack of resources.
How come they don't have access? What is your suggested temporary fix and what is the lack of resources?

J

jsn80

Hi, jsn :bigwave:
How does anyone get work done if they need drawings they don't have access to?
In most cases they have binders full of printed drawings that is scary to think about how many are out of date.

How come they don't have access? What is your suggested temporary fix and what is the lack of resources?
The engineers in the past have not all followed the same protocol. Part of that problem is we were two separate companies that got bought out by the same people and we were merged together. After that happened people kept doing things their old way. Some people save drawings to private servers that are restricted access to only the engineers. Some just save the drawings on the hard drive of their computer so no other individual can access, but that person.

My suggestion was to have all drawing relocated to a single server location so everyone will have access and know where to find them. Many of us have a program to view read-only copies of the CAD files so they won't have to worry about making pdf's or anything. Their problem with this is that they have a lot of linked documents and moving them will break those links.

The lack of resources come from a shortage of people in the department. They were in the process of hiring a person whose main responsibility was the creation and maintenance of the drawings. The hiring was put on hold after the recent departure of the manager.

I thank everyone for their input they have provided on this subject. I'm going to keep pushing this issue, because I don't want this to slow my implementation anymore than it already has.

Top Bottom